Author Topic: I'm interviewing Jacob from Early Retirement Extreme - what do you want to ask?  (Read 18862 times)

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
    • Radical Personal Finance
Hey Mustachians! I'm interviewing Jacob from ERE for my podcast next week. What would you all like me to ask him? Had to twist his arm for the interview...I want to make the most of it!

Khan

• Pencil Stache
How he's enjoying his hedge fund job, what he's doing there. Any kind of shop-talk you can get out of him on what he does.

Is he inflating his lifestyle at all? How have/are his plans changing with (what I assume) is a ridiculous amount of money coming in the door for a PhD grad working at a hedge fund.

He was retired on 7k/year. I assume without any lifestyle costs factored in from his choice to be employed, he's adding at least 50k/year to his stash of ~200k initially(though I think it's probably more like 100k/year), so how is that affecting his stash and lifestyle? Does he live within the bounds of 4% SWR of his rapidly increasing stash, or still the spartan lifestyle?
Edit: I mean to say I think he's adding 100k/year to his stash.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:27:41 AM by Khanjar »

EMP

• Bristles
What post is he proudest of?  Which does he regret pushing publish on?

Any plans after the hedge fund gig?  I thought those typically had a pretty short shelf life.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
What does he regret buying?
And pretty please, I'd love it if he could describe his wedding! I loved reading about Mr. Money Mustache's wedding!
Have a great time with the interview :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
These are such great questions! Never would have thought of them. Keep 'me coming!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
These are such great questions! Never would have thought of them. Keep 'me coming!

I can't wait to hear the interview!!! And very clever of you to pick brains here :)

More q's:

-What in your life are you most proud of?
-What do you think is the single most crazy thing that North Americans spend their money on?

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
Does he see himself ever going full on Borsordi?

What project is he working on right now that excites him?

Does he want to come hang out with us at next year's Berkshire/Hathaway shareholder's meeting?

Best,
Mr. PoP

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
I'd like to here his thoughts on whether being employed has affected his sense of freedom... what is keeping him at his job... and whether salary is a factor in that equation

Kriegsspiel

How many weapons would he consider himself proficient in?

Does he have any opinion on the current or future state of solar energy technology?

Considering his background in astrophysics, does he a) believe aliens exist, and b) think they possess the technology to enslave humanity?

I believe in one of his blog posts, he states that he isn't a fan of index fund investing, but that he DOES think the permanent portfolio is a good strategy, is this still the case?

Has he read anything lately that blew him away, or changed his perspective on shit?

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
1. Most discussions on ERE/MMM etc revolve around personal finance - does he feel that this is shallow/dull?
2. Which philosophers did he find to be particularly enlightening/interesting?

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
I like the idea of asking him his current thoughts on passive index funds and asset allocation.  They may have changed with his new career.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

Has he read anything lately that blew him away, or changed his perspective on shit?

+1

Also, when can I expect this lovely interview to be made available?

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
You guys really are awesome! I love this forum.  Interview should be out on one of this week's shows. I'm trying to release the interview shows on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We're still coordinating calendars.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
Does he see himself ever going full on Borsordi?

What is Borsodi?

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
Whoops! I meant "Borsodi," as in Ralph- Wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Borsodi

Jacob has spoken about the idea of going full on self-suffecient homestead, but I'm pretty sure he had rejected it in favor of Urban homesteading with some connection to the cash economy-here is a thread from 2011:

http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/viewtopic.php?t=1153

He recently bought a house, I was hoping to understand how his thoughts on homesteading have evolved now that he has a piece of dirt and some bricks that he owns and can modify to taste!

Really looking forward to the interview!

Best,
Mr. PoP

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
Hey Mustachians! I'm interviewing Jacob from ERE for my podcast next week. What would you all like me to ask him? Had to twist his arm for the interview...I want to make the most of it!
How does he respond to accusations of taking the job because his ERE lifestyle was "financially unsustainable" or "too hard" or "boring"?

You know, the same accusations that MMM has to deal with concerning this blog and its income.  Or any personal-finance writer who claims to be financially independent...

ivyhedge

• Bristles
Any plans after the hedge fund gig?  I thought those typically had a pretty short shelf life.

Heard from whom?! Crap; I didn't get the memo...but I've only run one for six years. I must still be safe... ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
What are his guilty pleasures/indulgences? What is something that he wants to work on to improve himself?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
These are all good questions, but he's still pretty active on the ERE forum so you could go ask him yourself.  I think a few of these are answered over there.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

These are all good questions, but he's still pretty active on the ERE forum so you could go ask him yourself.  I think a few of these are answered over there.

Good idea!

Numbers Man

Ask him what blogs is he currently learning new ideas and strategies from.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
True, but we're trying to help out a podcaster with his interview...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
True, but we're trying to help out a podcaster with his interview...

Understood, but I think the best questions will be those that Jacob hasn't already answered on the ERE forum.... but maybe he doesn't mind repeating himself as much as I do :-P

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
I'm definitely learning that doing good interviews is challenging. I think these are really fun and I posted the question because I know this community would enjoy hearing from him.

I'll definitely use these--especially some of the fun ones--but I will try to get past all the early retirement material that one can read in the ERE forums or in his book and site.

I appreciate all the help!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
I'm definitely learning that doing good interviews is challenging. I think these are really fun and I posted the question because I know this community would enjoy hearing from him.

I'll definitely use these--especially some of the fun ones--but I will try to get past all the early retirement material that one can read in the ERE forums or in his book and site.

If you don't already provide a transcript, either with the podcast or a few days afterward, I hope you'll consider it.  I get a lot more out of reading the transcript than I do out of listening (and trying to skip back & forth to understand something I've missed).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This

If you don't already provide a transcript, either with the podcast or a few days afterward, I hope you'll consider it.  I get a lot more out of reading the transcript than I do out of listening (and trying to skip back & forth to understand something I've missed).

+1

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble

Thanks for the suggestion, Nords. I hope to be able to provide transcripts in the future, but I'm not able to do it yet.

My show is a daily show intended to essentially be a replacement for people with an above average interest for in-depth financial conversation. Because it's daily, it consumes a large amount of my day just creating and producing and releasing the content! There are lots of things I don't have the resources to do and transcripts are one of them.

If you know someone who wants to transcribe the one show though, I'll publish it!

By the way, will you be at FinCon14 this year? I thought I saw a note somewhere of your being there last year?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
Thanks for the suggestion, Nords. I hope to be able to provide transcripts in the future, but I'm not able to do it yet.

My show is a daily show intended to essentially be a replacement for people with an above average interest for in-depth financial conversation. Because it's daily, it consumes a large amount of my day just creating and producing and releasing the content! There are lots of things I don't have the resources to do and transcripts are one of them.

If you know someone who wants to transcribe the one show though, I'll publish it!
"Daily" is a brutal schedule, but it forces you to be highly focused and exploit all the tricks of batch processing!

I think the only way to handle transcripts is outsourcing, and of course that's not automated or free. 

Transcripts are controversial.  You're either doing a podcast to reach a totally new audience, and they'll listen instead of reading a transcript.  They might not even read your blog.  Or you're doing a podcast to give your current readers a new way to hear your material (during the drive or the workout) and they'll want the transcript for the links.  Personally I can read a transcript in a fraction of the time that I'm using headphones, and when I'm trying to search for something weeks or months later then the transcript is more likely to come up on Google than the audio.  But I'm highly visual reader and I don't enjoy watching TV or listening to a sound track.  I can barely sit through a movie.

I guess my opinion on podcast transcripts is "If Pat Flynn does it, there must be a profit motive".  I'm sure he gets a lot of affiliate links into the transcript, even if he doesn't charge the podcast sponsor an extra fee for the transcript plug.  He uses SpeechPad.

By the way, will you be at FinCon14 this year? I thought I saw a note somewhere of your being there last year?
I will!  My spouse is coming along too.  We haven't been to New Orleans in over 30 years, so I'm almost sure the statute of limitations has expired from the shenanigans of our last Mardi Gras.  We're arriving a day before (jet lag) and staying a few more days after (sightseeing).

This will be my third FinCon, and I'm looking forward to catching up with people in person and seeing what's changed from last year.  This year I'm adding in Crystal's blogger camp because it looked like everyone was having a great time there last year.  I'm also doing the sponsor speed-dating event just to see what it's like, and to let them know that they have military customers too. 

I'll be the middle-aged balding ponytailed surf geezer in an aloha shirt and rubber slippers-- probably with a cup of coffee. 

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
You're either doing a podcast to reach a totally new audience, and they'll listen instead of reading a transcript.  They might not even read your blog.  Or you're doing a podcast to give your current readers a new way to hear your material (during the drive or the workout) and they'll want the transcript for the links. 

Well, considering I don't have anything written on the blog (more than each day's show notes) and I don't really intend to, it's option 1. I'm hoping to reach a totally new audience.

My goal is to provide an alternative to the Dave Ramsey/Suze Orman/Clark Howard version of financial radio. I'm trying to delivery expert, intelligent information and teaching about the stuff that actually works.

I have zero interest in reaching mainstream America. The other guys do a really great job of that in my opinion. I'm trying to provide information for people who aren't scared to go a little deeper and learn a bit more.

Basically, I'm trying to create the radio show that I would love to listen to where I get smarter every day and don't want to hurl something at the radio.

I've got a lot to learn and a long, long way to go--it's a lot tougher than I thought it would be. (Not the schedule--I love doing it. Rather, it's tough to create compelling content and deliver it without rambling.)

I'll look for you at FinCon. It'll be my first time in New Orleans and I'll be there a day early too!

Joshua

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
Also, when can I expect this lovely interview to be made available?

FYI, we pushed the interview to Saturday so, assuming all goes as planned, I will release it on Tuesday.

justin85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"It must have been relatively straightforward maintaining your budget and lifestyle back when you were anonymous.  Now that ERE has hit it big and you've achieved fame, walk us through how you've avoided all the typical celebrity pitfalls that catch the Lohans and Biebers out there (drugs, private jets, etc.)."

"You've referred to your hobby of training in martial arts in some blog posts.  Which martial art and why?"

Dragline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How's the new house?

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
Last call for questions if you have any more...chatting with Jacob in a couple of hours.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
There's also a thread on the ERE forums where Jacob's answering any and all questions - so if you miss out, or they don't get answered, just pop on and ask them :).

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
Thread on ERE-

http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5367

Somebody ask him- 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck!?

Best,
Mr. PoP

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
Hey gang, the interview is live! Check it out at: http://radicalpersonalfinance.com/25/

I appreciate all the questions. We answered most of them. If I didn't get your question in, go over to Jacob's ERE forum and ask it there (use POP's link above). He's been hanging out there answering all the questions.

Thanks for the input! Enjoy the show!

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
Loved it (well the first 2/3s, I'll finish tomorrow).

The permaculture theme was awesome - and I really enjoyed the emphasis not on finances, but on the variety of conceptual beliefs and ideas that drive FI/ERE much more. I've always found it a bit shallow when we're all just writing about money.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
I'm 90% done listening, and loving every minute of it! Just wanted to say thanks a bunch for asking Jacob about his wedding ;) It was interesting for me to see that Jacob is not immune to our surrounding culture and the need to compromise within a partnership. (Helps me frame my own upcoming wedding!)

Anyways, super interesting stuff! I'm glad you stopped in here, I hadn't found your blog/show prior to this thread.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
3... hours?
I... What... Woah.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Crap that was a hell of an interview.  3 hours?  Was not expecting that.  Thanks to both you and Jacob.  Will be checking out some more of your interviews.

Kriegsspiel

I'm really glad they worked the alien-enslavement angle for so long.

erejacob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thread on ERE-

Somebody ask him- 100 duck sized horses, or 1 horse sized duck!?

Nobody asked me :( but I feel compelled to answer this very important question for the sake of future generations. Most definitely, I would prefer 100 duck sized horses. During my teenage years, I invested in some 15 ducks and I learned that ducks are some of the most stupid animals on earth. Fortunately, they're good-natured---not evil like chickens (yeah, had some of those too)---but still stupid. However, something like 100 duck sized horses sounds like a fantastic business opportunity. My little "duck-sized horse"-pony, anyone?

Kriegsspiel

Also Jacob, that Japanese long sword, is that like a katana? That's fucking rad.

I guess if I had to be killed, there wouldn't be many obituaries more manly than "Kriegsspiel, 28, was killed in an epic battle with a sword-wielding villain. The damsel he was rescuing lived."

erejacob

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Also Jacob, that Japanese long sword, is that like a katana? That's fucking rad.

I guess if I had to be killed, there wouldn't be many obituaries more manly than "Kriegsspiel, 28, was killed in an epic battle with a sword-wielding villain. The damsel he was rescuing lived."

Well, I guess it beats my obituary: Jacob, lost at sea off the coast of X during epic storm.

But, yes, katanas, iais, and bokkens. I spent 3 years practicing and it was probably my main focus after I quit physics, so I consider myself semi-competent (I had about 300 hours of practice) but nowhere near an expert. Unfortunately, when I moved to Chicago, the nearest Dojo was too far away from where I lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1wjKe0YpNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oENjfg_f2mI

This is what I did (not nearly as well as the guys in the links, but I'm familiar with most of it (except the two handed techniques), I just did it somewhat slower)... I kinda miss it ... few things makes you feel more alive than this.

13owie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Loved hearing it straight from the horse's mouth (had to). Nice interview Jacob thanks for your time and  thoughts, especially your answer about the duck above.  May this group of yous become the new We. :)

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
I'm still in awe regarding the scope of the conversation.

Guys: pimp this shit.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
I really enjoyed this interview -- thanks for doing it!

The only feedback I can offer is that I would have liked to focus a little more on the interviewee's ideas, rather than the interviewer's. There were several times when it was clear Jacob was trying to say something but you kept talking. :)

Just my opinion, though, and it is a wonderful resource either way.

RadicalPersonalFinance

• Stubble
By the way, just wanted to thank each of you for your the kind comments above...I'm sorry it took so long for me to pop back and thank you. (Got sick for a couple of weeks right after releasing the show.)

I had a ton of fun doing the interview and learned a lot! I appreciate all of your input!