Author Topic: Hybrid/Comfort Bike Recommendation  (Read 3264 times)

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
Hybrid/Comfort Bike Recommendation
« on: December 17, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
My girlfriend requested a bike for Christmas and I was hoping to get some recommendations.

- She strongly prefers riding in a fairly upright position so I thought something like a hybrid would fit the bill.
- Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $250.
- We have to hang our bikes, so something on the lighter side is preferred.
- We typically ride on the order of 5-20 miles at a time on paved surfaces (commuting to tennis courts and the like).
- She's ~ 5'7''.
- She prefers a comfortable seat to a racing or MTB type saddle.

I've been monitoring Craigslist, but have generally striking out there. I thought maybe something like this would fit the bill. Is there any reason a woman couldn't ride this "men'" bike?
http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Edgewood-Hybrid-Wheels-15-Inch/dp/B008O0XKPA

Any other recommendations?

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
Re: Hybrid/Comfort Bike Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
At 5'7", her options are wide open.  How long have you been checking Craigslist?  I know in my area, I could find her like 10 bikes that fit the bill right now, but I'm willing to guess you don't plan to drive to Atlanta for one.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:35 PM »
I have a Specialized Crossroads Sport with a step through frame from 2011. It's a very upright position and has a huge padded leather saddle. It has worked out very well for me as my daily (6 mi roundtrip) ride for the past 5 months. I'm 5'6", and I don't know the frame size of my bike, but something around 52cm should be appropriate.  Rivendell Bicycle Works has a good video about how to properly measure your frame size.

Does she have any preferences for step through vs. diamond frame? Step through was a must for me, for comfort and being able to wear skirts while I ride, but diamond will be much easier to hang.

KingCoin

• Pencil Stache
  • Achieved FI @ 30
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
How long have you been checking Craigslist?

Just about a week, but the clock is ticking. The other issue is, at this price point, I'm almost more inclined to buy a new one for $220 from Amazon and have it show up at my door than schlep it out to Queens to buy a used one for $190.

I have a Specialized Crossroads Sport with a step through frame from 2011. It's a very upright position and has a huge padded leather saddle. It has worked out very well for me as my daily (6 mi roundtrip) ride for the past 5 months. I'm 5'6", and I don't know the frame size of my bike, but something around 52cm should be appropriate.  Rivendell Bicycle Works has a good video about how to properly measure your frame size.

Does she have any preferences for step through vs. diamond frame? Step through was a must for me, for comfort and being able to wear skirts while I ride, but diamond will be much easier to hang.

Thanks. I'll take a look at the Crossroads. No strong preference on the step-through.

fodder69

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
My 2 cents is that bike would be fine for her, although the 17 inch would probably fit her better. Something like this might be lighter, slightly less weight I would guess, but a couple dollars more.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Kalamar-Hybrid-21-Inch-X-Large/dp/B005NXMQ92/ref=sr_1_11?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1387340228&sr=1-11

But she'll probably be happy with either unless she starts riding a lot and shell get more picky about it!