Author Topic: Hybrid or Electric?  (Read 1638 times)

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
Hybrid or Electric?
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:35:32 AM »
My Prius is getting a bit "long in the tooth", and I'm starting to dream about my next car. I would love to go electric, but I'm concerned about range. What are your thoughts? Would love to hear about pros and cons of hybrid and electric cars that you have experience with.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Hybrid or Electric?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »
I think it comes down to how many cars you own and your driving habits. If you have more than one car, make one gas-powered for long trips and one electric for everything else. My wife and I have two cars and the number of times we both have to drive more than 40 miles a day at the same time is zero. If you only have one car and you have to drive more than electric car range on a regular basis, maybe you should get a hybrid. If you only drive outside of electric car range rarely (summer road trip once a year) it might make sense to buy an electric and rent a gas-powered car for the rare times when you need one.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »
When I drive, it's usually under 50 miles a day and rarely more than 100 miles a day. I drive under 10k miles per year. Our other car is gas powered. So I am a good candidate for an electric car (just not sure if I would be completely comfortable depending on it like I do with the hybrid). Any thoughts on best electric or hybrid models? Value is most important. It doesn't have to be fancy or powerful.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:09 AM »
My sense is the car market is going to go under some big shifts in the next ~10 years between electrification and self-driving. That makes me thing anything you buy now, you should either buy used or plan on keeping until it dies (not counting battery pack replacements -- I mean the car itself), because the resale may tank faster than normal.

Something you may not normally think of -- considering a bmw i3 might be worth it. They are .... quirky looking and kinda bad electrics/hybrids in a lot of ways (low all-battery range, the range extender version doesn't have the power to maintain highway speed once you deplete the battery) ... but they also suffered some massive depreciation even at just 2-3 years old and "low" mileage (<8k/yr).

There's a possibility of a second car in my family and the i3 is on the short list, along with the bolt and maybe a tesla (used model s do come under 30 grand these days -- not inexpensive but that's not that different than a new bolt). i3 and bolt need the sit test (aka is it comfortable).

The leaf should be on that list except a few years ago when we were also considering the 2-car thing due to jobs when the leaf was new, we went and sat in one and it was super uncomfortable to both of us, so that is a no-go here. You should try one though because they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Steveray7071

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:41:04 AM »
I went from 2 gas vehicles, to 1 gas and 1 electric - Extremely pleased with this decision.  I have 3 kids and whenever we need to go somewhere longer, we take the gasser (plus the gasser pulls my tent trailer).  For everything else, I use the electric.  The benefits of electric are well documented, however, one main benefit over a hybrid is the lower amount of maint required - no oil to changes, radiator, ect.  Range is not much of a concern as I very rarely need to travel more than 80 miles.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
I hadn't really thought about the lower maintenance with electric. That is a strong plus. Do the batteries last 10+ years as they do for the hybrids?

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:00:14 PM »
Disclaimer: I have never driven a hybrid.

I had a 2012 Nissan Leaf from Feb 2015-November 2018.  I drove < 40 miles/day, 10,000 miles/year.  We are a 2 car household with a gas, and then plug-in hybrid, for longer trips.

I no longer have a 2012 Nissan Leaf because the battery could not do my entire commute on very cold (< 20F) days.  The lower control arms needed to be replaced ($1200 at the dealer, $900 at a local shop).  And it was going to need new tires in the Spring.

I now have a 2019 Nissan Leaf.  With triple the range of that old degraded battery, it is very freeing.  I did debate buying a 2013 or newer Leaf - the battery is supposedly much better - but was talked out of it.  If you can pick up maybe a 2015, consider it. 

To the point about lower maintenance: Yes, there are no oil changes and they're generally maintenance free.  My hood refused to open because the latch mechanism had rusted; THAT'S how infrequently it's used.  On the flip-side, when maintenance is needed it is pricier because my local shop won't touch it.  My brakes had issues and that ended up being involved and expensive. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache