Author Topic: Hyatt Legal Plans? (Legal services benefit through job)  (Read 3844 times)

le-weekend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hyatt Legal Plans? (Legal services benefit through job)
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
Has anyone had experience with this employee benefit? You pay around $15/month (deducted from your paycheck) and you supposedly get access to "fully covered legal services."  I'd like to write a will and have it authorized / notarized properly through a lawyer, but I don't want to pay for this service if it's going to be a sucky experience with an outdated network of providers (akin to our lame "Employee Assistance Program").  Thanks all.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
Re: Hyatt Legal Plans? (Legal services benefit through job)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
I did it and I didn't have a problem. Though our wills are pretty uncomplicated.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:02:43 PM »
I have had great experience with the Hyatt Legal Plan.
I paid $8 per pay period, so close to what you are paying.

I used them for :
Will / Living Will / MHCPOA / HCPOA
Divorce papers (mine would have even represented me, which was included in the benefit, but I did not need it)
Real estate papers
Immigration stuff

So the money was well worth it and they had some reputable firms in my area to choose from.
Hope that helps

TaxChick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
I used this plan a couple of years ago to have my will, a special needs trust and a living will completed. They actually had quite a few well-regarded estate planning attorneys to choose from.

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
I used them for our Will and Trust.  Cost $200/year.  Process was smooth and used a local attorney. 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
I used them for getting a living trust and will done. It was great the only costs outside of the plan were to transfer title of the house into the trust, I think that was around $24.

le-weekend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »
Thank you all very much for these replies! Sounds like it's definitely worth trying. (The other, related, benefit will be that since I'm paying for it for a year I need to make sure I use it and not keep putting off this item on my To Do list.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »
I elected the benefit last year, with the plan to get wills done. 
It was no problem at all to work with a lawyer to do that.

My husband also had a personal injury case and the rate was 25% instead of 33%.

Our cost is $18/month. When I looked it would have cost more than $216 to get wills for my husband and I, plus two medical power of attorneys and two financial power of attorneys created, so it seemed like a good deal to me.

Note that while it includes "real estate matters" it is tenant only. If you are a landlord, any issues related to your business would not be covered. We did run into that previously (which is why we never elected coverage before.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:35:29 PM by iowajes »

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »
I did this and had a good experience.  I ended up quitting my job in March, so I only ended up paying $45 for a full living trust + will.

I wouldn't sign up for the plan unless you actually intend to use it.