Author Topic: Hurricane Dorian and upcoming vacation? (South Carolina)  (Read 1729 times)

The 585

Hurricane Dorian and upcoming vacation? (South Carolina)
« on: August 29, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
My wife and I have an upcoming week long vacation scheduled for this Saturday, 8/31 through Saturday 9/7. We'll be staying in Folly Beach South Carolina, just outside of Charleston. We've had this vacation scheduled since the winter time, and this dang hurricane is making me worried.

We're booked for a small AirBNB cottage one block away from the ocean. Would you guys do anything to change your plans? It looks like it'll hit further south, but I'm still worried that the entire week may be a total washout because of it. Advice appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:15:47 AM by Geographer »

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Hurricane Dorian and upcoming vacation? (South Carolina)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
The cancellation policy and ability/inconvenience/cost to get to your destination are the keys.  For instance, if you can either get a full refund due to weather or at least a credit to use at a different time coupled with being able to change your flights for free, have trip insurance, or live close enough it's not an issue are major considerations.

I'm in a similar boat travel-wise in dealing with Dorian but because flights are free to change and there is a hurricane policy for a full refund, I'm not too worried about it.  If it works, I'll go.  If not, I'll go some other time.

TrudgingAlong

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:50:24 PM »
Well, if it actually hits, you def don’t want to be there (even if it doesn’t direct hit, when I lived in GA through Michael, our area was fine, but we still suffered through power outages and had to boil water for a week before the all clear - things that would def spoil a vacation). I’d be clear on cancellation policies/ ability to change dates, etc, and play it by ear. This is a hurricane with a very wide track right now, so no telling what it will actually do.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »
Are you familiar with the National Hurricane Center website? Studying it might help you lock in your personal risk levels for vacationing in Charleston. As you can see from the wind probs page, the probability of winds > 34k at Charleston is 9% cumulative. Additionally, the spaghetti models have the eye tracking further and further south.

For as much as someone else's opinion matters - I do hurricane response for a living, and I'd got to Charleston without any qualms. We are staging far, far south of Charleston.

The 585

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:21:57 AM »
Thanks for the comments! I'm still trying to get clarification, but it looks like the refund is only 50%, minus the first day AND service fees. So I'd only be getting about 30% back which makes us lean towards still going and taking our chances. We'll be driving there so flights aren't an issue.

Sam, thanks for the resources. My fear is that the most recent models have it hitting florida, then curving north towards GA/SC. But it's definitely reassuring to hear your opinion that I'm not crazy for still going!

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:25:09 AM »
GO!  By the time it would get up there it would be the end of your vacation so go and enjoy yourself.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
I would go

The 585

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
Thanks guys!! Makes me feel much better about deciding to still go. I'm sure things will be fine and we'll still have a great time!

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
Thanks guys!! Makes me feel much better about deciding to still go. I'm sure things will be fine and we'll still have a great time!

I agree with going (I'm in Tampa).  You can always leave a little early if it seems like things are going to get bad.  This storm is a slow one.

The 585

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »

I agree with going (I'm in Tampa).  You can always leave a little early if it seems like things are going to get bad.  This storm is a slow one.

Thanks! You're right, leaving early is always an option. That 10 day forecast is daunting though.. :0

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!