Author Topic: Huge cost to attend Family wedding, would you go?  (Read 5989 times)

Counting Down

• Stubble
Huge cost to attend Family wedding, would you go?
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
I'm originally from Ireland moved to Western Australia just over 18 months ago. My only sister who I am close to is getting married this August. We had always planned to go back to Ireland for the wedding but now I am having second thoughts due to cost.

All in for myself, husband and 2 kids it will cost around $15k to attend, and that's staying with family no hotels. It's driving me crazy because she really wants us there and I would love to go but I just keep thinking we are practically paying for a wedding ourselves!

I am not homesick at all and wouldn't even think of going home for a visit yet if it wasn't for the wedding. My Mum and one of my brothers visited us last year so we have seen some family recently.

I have already booked flights these can be refunded but we would lose $2-3k, that wouldn't bother me too much as essentially this is a sunk cost.

So would you attend? We have savings so we wouldn't go into debt but it would severely reduce our savings this year. I'm so confused!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Huge cost to attend Family wedding, would you go?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »
Have you considered going, but without hubs and kids?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
That sounds like the best plan!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
Have you considered going, but without hubs and kids?

+1

And have you checked prices through all the different providers and routes?  I had a friend travel from NZ to see family in the US, and found that it was cheaper to book a world holiday and also see Europe, than it was to just fly to the US. Nuts, but there you go.  I have no idea what the best way to find this out is, tho.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:20:37 AM »
Assuming your some what on your way to FI, and have already booked the tickets, I say go and have a good time.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »
If my sibling and I were close*, I would probably just go alone. Or I might offer to pay for the sister and her new spouse to come visit me after the wedding instead. It would be a really nice wedding gift, and still cheaper for you than bringing the whole family along.

* We are not close. I'd pay $15K to avoid going.

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:54 AM »
I had thought of going alone but it'll be our only trip this year so it has to be a family one plus everyone at home would be gutted if the kids didn't come as well.

I have made the decision to just suck it up and go. She'd be devastated if we missed it and we can afford it. We'll just try to keep costs as low as possible.

We had offered to pay for them to visit instead but they thought it would be too awkward travelling with a young child. My brother is getting married next year and this is our plan for them as I am definitely not shelling that out 2 years in a row!

Thanks for all the opinions they really did help.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
I had thought of going alone but it'll be our only trip this year so it has to be a family one plus everyone at home would be gutted if the kids didn't come as well.

I have made the decision to just suck it up and go. She'd be devastated if we missed it and we can afford it. We'll just try to keep costs as low as possible.

Have a great time!  Enjoy yourselves and don't be so worried about money that you forget to have fun :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »

We had offered to pay for them to visit instead but they thought it would be too awkward travelling with a young child. My brother is getting married next year and this is our plan for them as I am definitely not shelling that out 2 years in a row!

Why is it significantly cheaper for them to travel to you?  Sounds like it's 3 versus 4 traveling, but otherwise, the costs would be similar.

Have you talked to your brother about your plan?  Would he be hurt you are attending your sister's wedding and not his?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:49 PM »
Hi fellow Western Australian! If by any chance you are in Perth, we'd love to see you at our next meet-up

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/perth-meetup!-%28australia%29/150/

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »

Why is it significantly cheaper for them to travel to you?  Sounds like it's 3 versus 4 traveling, but otherwise, the costs would be similar.

Have you talked to your brother about your plan?  Would he be hurt you are attending your sister's wedding and not his?

Our 2 kids are over 2 so it's 90% of adult price for flight for both of them. Their one child is under 2 so very low cost. Plus we have to rent a car in Ireland whereas we have a big car in Australia that fits everyone so no car rental.

No haven't told my brother yet I'm sure he will be a bit annoyed but we can't go to everyone. My husbands brother is getting married the year after that and again we can't go if we went to them all it would be an expensive "holiday" every year.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
An only sister's wedding?  I'd go no matter what the cost.  If you said a cousin or a distant family member, I'd waiver . . . but you can't miss your sister's wedding.  When you left the country, you knew that you'd occasionally need to spend on travel expenses to return home for family reasons -- this is an unmissable reason.

However, I do think that going without your family is an acceptable option. 

And hopefully you can stay with family, so you're really only paying for the plane flight plus incidentals.