Author Topic: Help me switch to Comcast Internet please (Verizon won't play ball)  (Read 2254 times)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
I work in IT, but apparently am a lousy haggler when it comes to Verizon FIoS. They just jacked my Internet rates from 69.99 (bad) to 79.99 (worse) and after over a half hour on the phone with their retention department they simply weren't willing to haggle.

So I am moving back to Comcast for 39.99 a month (more like $45 after fees and tax). For $8 a month I can lease their modem but I should be able to take care of getting a modem and a router or a combo unit installed myself. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I am hoping some of my frugal brethren who have traveled this path can point me to the best equipment to purchase. I will need both the cable modem (and wi-fi access) for a 2400 SF rancher, the modem will thankfully be in the center of the house. Thanks in advance.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Help me switch to Comcast Internet please (Verizon won't play ball)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »
I bought a Motorola SURFboard combined cable modem/wifi router for about $100 after reading some good reviews.  They have various models; here's a link to one similar to mine, you can probably look for better deals:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-surfboard-extreme-docsis-3-0-wireless-n-cable-modem-and-gigabit-router/9962417.p?id=1218202944998&

I like having a less cluttered desk and it's been reliable so far.  The downside is if you ever contemplate moving back to a DSL or other non-cable service; I can't remember if mine has an Ethernet in port to use just the router functionality.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Help me switch to Comcast Internet please (Verizon won't play ball)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »
Keep the modem and router separate, if at all possible. It'll be cheaper than an all-in-one, and if one craps out, you still have the other which reduces replacement cost further.

With Comcast, you'll need a DOCSIS 3 modem, stick with Motorola/Arris and their Surfboard modems. You shouldn't need to spend more than $65 on one through Amazon. Any low-mid-end router like the Asus RT-N12/B or TP-Link TL-WDR3500 should be fine, that should be had for under $40. Both support alternate firmwares such as DD-WRT which permits increasing WiFi broadcast strength, and should have the option to upgrade the antennas for higher gain coverage if need be.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 09:38:57 AM by I.P. Daley »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!