Author Topic: HSA Investment fees  (Read 2602 times)

keepitsimple

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
HSA Investment fees
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »
We have an HSA that has accumulated some cash so I decided to look at the investment options available.  I read the FAQ's and looked at the fund options...couple Vanguard indexes, check!  So I started to set up the investment part of the account and got to the part where you check the box saying you read all the disclosures etc.  I decided to click on them to actually read (how many people don't do that I can only imagine).  Anyway I noticed that buried in there was something about a fixed monthly account fee that would be redeemed from your account by selling shares.  No where else on the site are these fees mentioned.  So my question is, are monthly fees normal in HSA investment accounts?  If so, do you wait until you have a significant amount of cash built up in there to make it worthwhile?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: HSA Investment fees
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
My HSA had some fees associated with it as well.  I couldn't tell you what they are off the top of my head.  It does require me to keep 2,500 in cash, which I found interesting but never questioned.

Are the fees flat rate or % based?  If you are young and healthy I'd say just get it in the market, but to each their own. :)

soccerref

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
I am paying $1.50 per month for my HSA.  This is similar to the fees that I see on my IRA accounts.  Hard to avoid until more competition exists for these qualified accounts.

keepitsimple

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
Our HSA's minimum cash balance required is $1000, anything over that can be invested.  The monthly fee for the investment account is $2.90/month fixed.  Looks like monthly fees are par for the course, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:29 PM »
No HSA myself, but from reading a number of threads recently, yeah that sounds on par.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!