Author Topic: How would you go about this change in job and commute?  (Read 3836 times)

sloof70

• Stubble
How would you go about this change in job and commute?
« on: June 18, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »
I'm about to undergo a job change that will lengthen my commute and I'm curious how you guys might navigate it.

Currently, I'm living in Everett, WA. I'm mid-20s and single. Commuting about 15-20 minutes (10 miles) each way to an office. I live in Everett because I enjoy it and I was able to buy a great condo last year on the cheap. Mortgage, escrow, PMI and HOA dues are around $700/month. I drive a small pickup daily that gets around 25 MPG, and I bought it with cash years ago for a pittance. I make around $60k annually at the office job, have ample vacation, and I'm probably only there 35 hours a week. Been in this job full-time for around 3.5 years, but been at the company in some capacity for 9.

I'm sick of working in a cubicle, and am on the short list to start an apprenticeship with the electrician's union in Seattle, likely starting next month. Starting wages, not including any possible overtime, will amount to about $40k the first year, and then go up about $10k a year until I'm a journeyman after 5 years of the apprenticeship, clearing six figures with ease. They work off hours to prevent us from being in Seattle rush hour (the fourth worst in the nation), but even without traffic, my commute could increase to 45-60 minutes and up to 45 miles each way. Luckily, I will likely be working four 10-hour days.

Standard advice is to move closer to work, but Seattle home prices and rents are too damn high. Average 1BR apartment is over $1400/month, and don't even get me started on purchase prices. But I'm also not too keen on the increased cost, pollution, and time spent on up to two hours a day driving back and forth to work. I could possibly rent my condo out and clear up to a $500 premium over my cost of ownership, but I just moved in and kind of like the place. Will likely do this for a little while then reassess in 6 months.

What would you do?

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How would you go about this change in job and commute?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
I would rent out the condo if the numbers look good, and then find a small 1 bedroom within biking distance in an acceptable neighborhood. I'm biased however, I can't stand Seattle traffic and would go crazy with road rage if I had to drive through it, therefore being close enough to bike or walk, or taking some sort of public transit where I could read, would be the only solution.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache

sloof70

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
I would rent out the condo if the numbers look good, and then find a small 1 bedroom within biking distance in an acceptable neighborhood. I'm biased however, I can't stand Seattle traffic and would go crazy with road rage if I had to drive through it, therefore being close enough to bike or walk, or taking some sort of public transit where I could read, would be the only solution.
I should have added, job site changes every few months, typically. Territory covers all of King, Kitsap, Clallam and Jefferson counties. And while it's unlikely I would need to go to the peninsula, traveling via bike or bus is not a realistic option, as I could spend a year in an area, or just a few weeks.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »
Traffic sucks, off-peak commute is relative, and sitting in a car is bad for your body.    Commuting from Everett to Seattle every day sounds hellish to me.

sloof70

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
You might look into finding a house share situation in Seattle where you only stay 2 or 3 nights a week.  If you are working M-Th, you basically stay there M and W nights, or M-Tu-Wed, and stay at your own place when you aren't working.  You will save enough on wear and tear on your vehicle to make it worth the cost -- and will not have to deal with that long commute 2-3 days a week.
House share (or renting a room) is actually a great idea. I'll have to look into that. If the price was right, that could be a nice way to break up the week. Or maybe I should just start dating a girl that lives in Seattle, pretending I like her but really just using her for a place to stay a few nights a week. You know, like a true romantic.

Chesterfield

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
Look into APODments. They are like dorms for adults. Cost $550-$750 a month, you get a room with a bathroom plus kitchenette, shared kitchens and public space but someone is paid to clean the public space. They are going up all over the U district and Capitol Hill. You will likely need to walk a ways to find free parking, and will have to move the car every 3 days if you are not using it per Seattle city ordinance. If you rent out your condo, it will likely pay for most of your rent. They are furnished by the way.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!