Author Topic: How to use a grocery store gift card?  (Read 4283 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
How to use a grocery store gift card?
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »
I was gifted a gift card for (to? from?)) a brand name (ie.; not MMM) grocery store.
I will buy a nice steak - as a treat and to have something to talk about if the gifter asks how I used or enjoyed the gift.
But what else should I buy?   I mostly shop at Aldis.  I do occasionally go to this store for things Aldis doesn't carry, like produce by the pound and not by the bag, some spices, etc.
A cpl canned hams?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to use a grocery store gift card?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
does the card expire? Just hang on to it for when you next go to that store for whatever Aldi's doesn't have. Or if it's nonperishable, stock up.

ZMonet

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:31:28 PM »
If you really can't find anything to buy, or think you could better use a cash (or portion thereof), you might try selling the card on Craiglist, eBay, Raise, etc.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
Every grocery store has a loss leader or two that will eventually make sense to pick up to burn off that card.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
I guess I'm the outlier, because I'd use it entirely to splurge on stuff I normally don't let myself buy. Honestly, my first choice would probably be booze, if the card's usable for that, hahaha. ;)

I've actually run into this issue a few times when I was given Amazon gift cards but had no immediate wants and didn't want to just blow it on crap. One time I used it for a HUGE bag of pine nuts - I am addicted to pesto and make my own from the garden basil all summer long, and really do think it tastes best with pine nuts instead of a cheaper alternative. Another time it was good quality vanilla beans. Stocking up on spices also comes to mind.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »
Last year I was gifted a $50 gift card to a grocery store
that I never shop at.  I initially couldn't find anything to buy,
but just as I was heading for the exit I saw coffee beans on
sale for half price -- still expensive compared to where I normally
shop -- but I was able to buy 7 pounds of beans!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:42 PM »
Crab legs. Bought some at Aldi and they sucked. Get the fancy ounces at your splurge store.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
Does the store sell gift cards for other stores?  If yes, can you use it to buy a gift card for a store you like?

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »
Does the store sell gift cards for other stores?  If yes, can you use it to buy a gift card for a store you like?

I tried this at Best Buy and they said no :(

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:40:30 AM »
Every grocery store has a loss leader or two that will eventually make sense to pick up to burn off that card.
How do I figure out what their loss leaders are?

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Watch their flyers for sales, and compare their prices to what you usually pay at other stores for the same things.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:58 AM »
I won a grocery store gift card on my birthday and I too had to think a moment when Mr. R. suggested he could just use it up on his next grocery store trip.

Here is how I am spending mine:

1. Because I want to enjoy my good fortune:  Cheesecake:) - they happen to have the best cheesecake for about ten+ bucks. Smallish, but oh so good:)
2. Because I want to share my good fortune - two canned hams for the local food pantry.
3. Because I want to add to the stash - an extra bag of our favorite coffee, next time it is on sale or perhaps some fresh crab legs... splurge:)

That's all I can squeeze out of that $25 gift card, but it is telling is it not, when we receive a gift card to a grocery store of all places and don't quite know how to best spend it.

There was a time eons ago when we were first married when all I wanted was to be able to go to the grocery store and not have to look at the prices ... or worry about not having enough money to pay at the register.
It is embarrassing and so humiliating when you have to choose which item to return at the register when clearly, you do need them all.

Alternatively: If you want to forego splurges and stretch the card benefits to the max - check their clearance cart/aisle at least weekly and stock your pantry.
Even better than the advertised loss leader:
Just ask where the clearance items are located and don't forget to ask the stock persons if they know of any in-store specials or good deals that week. Always cultivate the stock people - a friendly attitude and a two minute conversation can save you a nice chunk of money over time.
That goes for Aldi too:)   

rws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »
I suppose the mustachian answer would be to wait for a sale and load up on staple/nonperishable items, or things you use everyday.

Do you ever have parties with your friends? Buy a bunch of fancy meats and cheeses and show up with a platter!

You could still lie to the person who gave you the card and tell them you bought a delicious steak with it :D

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions (except the one to lie to the card giver).
I cleaned out my freezer to make room for meat (to buy on sale).  This included removing the ice maker, which was never used - there isn't a water line going to it!  I replaced the huge ice maker ice cube tray with a rectangle plastic container.
The card expires in a year, but I don't know when it was purchased so I'm treating it like 9 months. 
I've already splurged a bit and bought deli meat and cheese for my lunches.  And some cut-up fruit.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »
You could stock up on dried beans, canned beans, canned pumpkin, frozen veggies if you have room.

I agree with another poster, I would buy some splurge items. Some nice steaks, fresh fish, shrimp, canned crabmeat.

Or just stock up on things you need like dish detergent, soap and softener for the washing machine. Dishwasher detergent, aspirin, cold medicine. Canned tuna, canned chicken.

I have not had a good canned ham since I was a kid. The last time I tried one it tasted like blubber in a can.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 01:00:46 PM »
If you have relatives that really like getting birthday cards instead of a gift, I find that card prices are the same at discount and name brand.  (Not including the $1 dollar store, but the relatives that like a nice card, like the Hallmark / Carlton cards which is still cheaper than a present).

So -- when I have bonus points for money, or gift cards for more expensive places, I sometimes just use it to buy up all birthday cards.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »

If the ad says "Limit N per person" under the advertised price there's a good chance it's a loss leader.