Author Topic: How to treat a little 1099 income while FIRE  (Read 507 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
How to treat a little 1099 income while FIRE
« on: February 14, 2023, 04:48:02 PM »
As many probably do, I am finding myself a little part-time income while FIRE. It will be 1099 and not a significant amount of money, but some nice pocket change. I have never been 1099 before, so I am wondering if there are any tips you have for me on how to handle taxes and quarterly reporting. Is there some free software that would be good to use or is a spreadsheet sufficient?

I am pretty sure that the right thing to do is spend all the money I earn and take that much less out of our investments to fund normal activities. Is that correct? Is there any advantage to funneling it all into an IRA? Thanks in advance.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: How to treat a little 1099 income while FIRE
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »
You'll owe income taxes on the net income (1099 payments less business expenses).  If you aren't withholding from other sources (like pension or SS or IRA distributions) and if you don't meet any of the safe harbor rules, then you'll need to set up quarterly estimated payments with the IRS to avoid underpayment penalties.  Google "estimated payments site:irs.gov" for details.

You might need to make quarterly estimated income tax payments, but you won't need to report anything to the IRS quarterly.  You'll just complete a Schedule C and Schedule SE.  This assumes a sole proprietorship; if you have a more complex business structure there may be reporting requirements.

Usually if the 1099 income is less than your required expenses, which it sounds like is the case, then yes, most people just spend the 1099 money first and then take from other sources as needed.

Whether or not to contribute to an IRA is a tax strategy question.  If, for some reason, you find that you might be in a lower income tax bracket later, then a contribution to a traditional IRA might make sense.  If you had more income than you needed to spend, then shoving some of it into a Roth would make sense to keep any gains tax-free.

HTH.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 12:20:40 AM »
As mentioned above, if you're a sole proprietor you don't need to do anything special on a quarterly basis tax-wise besides the estimated tax payments that everyone has to make if they don't have high enough withholding.

Contributing to retirement accounts might be a good idea if you already have a pretty big taxable stash and would rather have more of your wealth in a tax shelter where dividends and such will no longer be taxed every year (making your health insurance more expensive too). You can open a solo 401(k) to really maximize this maneuver. You can put the first $22,500 of your earnings (minus half the self-employment tax) into the Roth side of your solo 401(k). Roth 401(k) contributions don't affect your IRA contribution limits, or your ability to claim a deduction for health insurance premiums against your self-employment income.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 03:08:27 PM »
I appreciate the input. We aren’t talking about big sums of money, probably on the order of $10k/yr, which raises the question of whether a 401k or the like would be worth the trouble. I’ll have to think on that some more.

Am I correct in thinking I could track my mileage commuting to the office on days I go in and deduct that as a business expense?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
Am I correct in thinking I could track my mileage commuting to the office on days I go in and deduct that as a business expense?

It depends.  The right place to read up on the topic is Chapter 4 of IRS Pub 463.  Here's a link:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463#en_US_2022_publink100033913

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!