Author Topic: How to stop the temptation?  (Read 4106 times)

Missk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to stop the temptation?
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:36:54 AM »
How to stop the temptation to search? Sure, sometimes I may never buy the items but I am tired of my window shopping urges when I'm bored: Look at the Amazon "lightning deals" - even if it's for a grocery item; clothing sites for business work clothes; etc.

I do love to read, which I do often. I have also been knitting a bunch.

I'm also afraid this is a direct result from the addiction to the internet, or an instant gratification thing. I've always been frugal but I think with the rise of technology the temptation for more more more and now now now is making me change my ways :( Perhaps I should turn off the router at night - or better yet unplug outlets (which will save my electric bill ....hmm).

Anyone dealing with this? Any other suggestions?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: How to stop the temptation?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
My experience with "addiction" is generally "all or nothing." I've gone without sugar for 3 months and I've gone without alcohol for 3 months. But if I accept a beer from you, I'll probably have a couple more (depending on company, quite a few more.) So I pretty much have to "yell at myself" any time my muscle memory pulls up ***deals***.xxx or I find myself on Amazon. Close that browser tab. There's certainly something else you can do with your time. Lately, I've spent way too much time on **money**stache forums... I might need to take a leave of absence...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »
I removed Slickdeals from my browser shortcut tab a while back. It's helped. However, I have noticed that once I started making an effort to increase net worth, and really started thinking about what I "need", my desire to buy stuff has dropped off dramatically.

Personal example- I want to be able to do short term contract work around the country (6 months or less). I realized that I could fit everything I would need for six months in my vehicle. Once that realization happened, i.e. I can survive (happily) for 6 months living with only what I could bring with me, I decided I didn't need/want to buy more stuff that I wouldn't be bringing along.  Soooo, if I don't need it for 6 months, do I really need it at all?  Now I entertain myself by watching my account balances grow up and going through my own stuff to see what I can sell. :D

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
Remove any of those sites from your bookmarks tab.  Unsubscribe to any type of email from these places.  Remove the relevant apps from your ipad, phone, whatever.

I had to do all of those things to wean myself from Facebook.  Yes, I still get on it from time to time, but it has lost much of its appeal to me. 

You will find that you suddenly have what feels like lots of idle time.  I've recently re-discovered watching TV.  We have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so there's always something to watch.  Reading, of course, is good too, but I do more of that in bed.  Sometimes, I even notice myself watching TV without having a laptop on my lap (which just makes room for my lapdog)! There's also cleaning, playing games, with the kids, etc.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:51:13 AM »
I am fairly new to frugality, so I struggle with this all the time.  First thing,   I unsubscribed from all the shopping emails.  I found a blog just this week, but I can't find it again, that resonated.  I realized when I get itchy to shop, it seems to come from a sense of disorder in my life.   Need new clothes?  I should just wash and organize what I have.  Hungry?  need groceries?   I am taking stock of what I actually have and make something (curried chickpeas).  Start searching for new houses?  Clean and repair the one I have.  (really! I am getting emails from a realtor, time to unsubscribe again)

Missk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »
Great suggestions! Thank you.

Step one: Hit the unsubscribe on money sucking emails,  remove favorites, and clear browsing history.
Step two: Inventory pantry and frig/freezer.
Step three: Remove "likes" from Facebook that encourage spending! Reduce time on Facebook.
Step four: Make a list of wants and needs and qualify purchases off this list. (Replaced tires that had 90k+ miles on them a few weeks ago - Qualified need.)
Step five: Enjoy the growing stache!

I think since I have stopped buying lattes and mochas in the morning and purchasing beer for the evenings ;) I am looking for some void to fill my spending desires.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »
Great suggestions! Thank you.

Step one: Hit the unsubscribe on money sucking emails,  remove favorites, and clear browsing history.
Step two: Inventory pantry and frig/freezer.
Step three: Remove "likes" from Facebook that encourage spending! Reduce time on Facebook.
Step four: Make a list of wants and needs and qualify purchases off this list. (Replaced tires that had 90k+ miles on them a few weeks ago - Qualified need.)
Step five: Enjoy the growing stache!

I think since I have stopped buying lattes and mochas in the morning and purchasing beer for the evenings ;) I am looking for some void to fill my spending desires.
Spend money on index funds instead! :D

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »
I really feel the OP on this. My weakness: chocolate chip cookies. My mutual fund company sent me a starbucks gift card because I filled out an investor profile. I went to the starbucks today and the chocolate chip cookies looked so good, i stared at them for a long time. Much longer than a grown woman should be staring at cookies. I pulled my self together and bought a protein bar. My brain was mad but my belly was happy.
Resisting temptation is a muscle that you have to exercise.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!