Author Topic: How to stop Internet addiction  (Read 5113 times)

saveandinvest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to stop Internet addiction
« on: June 11, 2014, 08:18:47 AM »
I am half way through my one-month vacation before starting my new job and I have difficult combating the bad habits of continuously surfing on the Internet. I wanted to work on some readings and learning during my vacation but couldn't focus since I have been on the Internet all day and wasting my time.

How do you overcome the impulse to browse the Internet, checking out every single thing that comes across the screen, and seeing what your friends are up to on facebook?
I know that a while ago MMM posted an article on the information diet and I found it very insightful, except controlling my Internet habits was much more difficult that I expected.
I was temporarily on Internet diet for a week and I got right back into my habit afterwards...out of despair, I deactivated my facebook account and bowed to never buy a smartphone (I am currently using a cell phone). This helps, but it would be great if you could share your tips to resist the temptation to surf the Internet!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to stop Internet addiction
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:11 AM »
I work from home and find the internet to be a constant source of distraction. On days when I really have to knuckle down and get stuff done, I only open the browser I use for work and don't open my personal browser until after I've completed whatever I need to get done that day.

So if your readings, etc, are on the internet, I recommend using a different browser for that work than the one you use for surfing/playing.

Also - I turn my computer off completely at night, right down to turning off the power strip it's plugged into. Another way to go, especially if the work you're trying to complete is "offline", is to not even turn on the computer until you've accomplished a set amount. Start with an hour. Heck, start with 30 minutes and see how you do. Use the surfing time as a reward for doing your other work, not a procrastination tool to put the work off.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:46:57 AM »
There are programs and apps designed to block the internet. I enable them during the college months.

"Self Control App" - for Macs. Blocks the internet for X amount of time and cannot be disabled. Very good.

I don't have a Mac though. I use "Stayfocused", which is an extension for Google Chrome. Lets you block specific websites that you put on a list. You can set a time limit for them on certain days of the week and for how many minutes/hours. It counts down and then says in big letters "Shouldn't you be doing your work?" If you're a chrome user, simply uninstall all other internet browsers except chrome and then add all blocked sites desired. Settings cannot be changed the same day, and you can even do a challenge question to change settings.

Those tools make it pretty simple habit to break. Also, both are free :)

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:57:06 AM »
Apps and plug-ins are only as effective as you let them be (of course that is true for any situation). 

1) Shut off all notifications.  E-mails, bells, whistles, duck calls, pop-ups. 
2) Set a timer for 15 minutes (to start with).  Work for that 15 minutes.
3) Set a time for 15 minutes (to start with).  Distract yourself for 15 minutes.

Repeat the timer run, increasing the work timer for 5 minutes and decreasing the play time by 1 minute until you get down to a split you feel your are being productive with (my goal is to get to a 45 minute/10 minute split). 

You can also do it tasked based.  Say: read a chapter of a book, read Facebook status.  Read a second chapter, play one video game. etc.

I tried the apps and know I waste time, but I wind up just disabling the apps :)

saveandinvest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:10:16 AM »
Thank you so much for your advice!
I checked out the site-blocking tools, they look great but I also agree that probably of frustration I might disable them when I really want to check out something.
I have tried reading a book and then going back to the Internet an repeating this in the past but I barely remembered what I read as a result!
Unfortunately when I get back to stare at the screen, my long-term memory just flies out of the window...it's probably also an issue of discipline.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:03:26 AM »
I've struggled with this issue forever...I even went on hiatus with home connection for a couple of months but got right back into the swing of things as soon as I restarted connectivity at home.  And I work about 80% of the time at home so going connection-free isn't really an option.  Well, I could choose to work in the office 100% of the time and discontinue service at home...but I really don't want to commute to the office every day.

I've tried many of the things mentioned and none of them have stuck.  I think it's really down to finding things to do and care about in real life so internet life isn't as comfortable.  It's not that surfing the internet is all that great--it's not.  But it's just the easy thing to do--like zoning out. 

rosaz

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:54:27 AM »
Admittedly this only works when I'm already somewhat motivated but... one question I ask myself when I've just opened an article/site and am about to read it: "will I even remember what I'm reading now in 2 hours?". The answer to that is frequently depressing enough to get me to close the computer.

Hand-in-hand with that: always have a list at the ready of offline things you either want to do (if you tend to waste discretionary time) or have to do (if you tend to waste time you should be productive). That way when I realize I won't give a damn about this "ooh that looks interesting" article in 2 hours, I can compare that with the fact that in 2 hours I will be happy if I... called an old friend I haven't talked to in a while, worked out, made cookies, etc., during that time instead.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
I am half way through my one-month vacation before starting my new job and I have difficult combating the bad habits of continuously surfing on the Internet. I wanted to work on some readings and learning during my vacation but couldn't focus since I have been on the Internet all day and wasting my time.

How do you overcome the impulse to browse the Internet, checking out every single thing that comes across the screen, and seeing what your friends are up to on facebook?
I know that a while ago MMM posted an article on the information diet and I found it very insightful, except controlling my Internet habits was much more difficult that I expected.
I was temporarily on Internet diet for a week and I got right back into my habit afterwards...out of despair, I deactivated my facebook account and bowed to never buy a smartphone (I am currently using a cell phone). This helps, but it would be great if you could share your tips to resist the temptation to surf the Internet!

I don't mean to be an ass, but isn't posting this in this forum almost like an alcoholic trying to get advice to stop drinking from friends INSIDE A BAR?! Sounds like you need to get out and about, sign up for a club, volunteer, do anything to get out of the house and be social. Best of luck!

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
2) Set a timer for 15 minutes (to start with).  Work for that 15 minutes.
3) Set a time for 15 minutes (to start with).  Distract yourself for 15 minutes.

Repeat the timer run, increasing the work timer for 5 minutes and decreasing the play time by 1 minute until you get down to a split you feel your are being productive with (my goal is to get to a 45 minute/10 minute split).

I find this works as well as anything. It's much easier to be productive knowing that you can get your fix shortly.