Author Topic: How to stay warm in winter when working from home?  (Read 5469 times)

DK

• Stubble
How to stay warm in winter when working from home?
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Usually turn down the thermo through the day but since I'll be working from home more often now I need to make it a bit more livable. It seems keeping myself warm will be a better route than keeping the entire house warm.

All I have done so far is add wearing a hoodie through the day. I'm thinking of adding a wife beater, or perhaps long underwear tops/bottoms and an extra pair of socks. Any tips from people?

Here are some things I've read through already for ideas:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/01/the-oil-well-you-can-keep-in-your-pants/
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/02/body-insulation-thermal-underwear.html
http://www.richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: How to stay warm in winter when working from home?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
My feet, head, and neck tend to get coldest, so for me, fingerless gloves, a hat, scarf, and really really warm slippers or boots.

For fingerless gloves, Target sells a pair of convertible glove/mittens that I like because the thumbs also can be pulled back (good for typing). 
I've also recently figured out why people like flannel -- it's warm!! 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Down and wool keep me warm.

I have been wearing my down jacket for most of the day (indoors, where the temp is about 55F).

I also have a few of these Buffs--the merino wool ones are warm and they do not itch (at least they do not itch me).

http://buffusa.com/sports/collections/wool-buff-reg/styles/wool-buff-neo-grey

Yeah--they are kind of pricey.  If you are crafty, maybe you can make your own?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
I've posted twice in the last 2 days, and now three times, about my hot water bottle.  I can't believe how well it keeps me warm, and how long it stays heated.  I have one that came with a knit cover.  I fill it with nearly boiled water and plop it in my lap with a blanket over it, and that keeps me very warm. If my feet are feeling super cold, I might lay the bottle across them for a while, with a blanket, to get some heat to that extremity. 

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
My wife found the heat lamps worked quite well, better than electric heaters with much greater power consumption. It takes some trial and error to get it working well, and not very elegant, but worked.

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 02:53:23 PM »
use an electric room heater

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
I use a oil filled electric heater to keep the one room warm. It's bad enough I already have to wear long underwear and gloves sometimes when I work in the office, so at home the space heater allows me to just wear sweats, a blanket and no gloves

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
Usually turn down the thermo through the day but since I'll be working from home more often now I need to make it a bit more livable. It seems keeping myself warm will be a better route than keeping the entire house warm.

All I have done so far is add wearing a hoodie through the day. I'm thinking of adding a wife beater, or perhaps long underwear tops/bottoms and an extra pair of socks. Any tips from people?

Here are some things I've read through already for ideas:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/02/01/the-oil-well-you-can-keep-in-your-pants/
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/02/body-insulation-thermal-underwear.html

For my feet while working at my desk, a cat.  I put the bed under the desk, the cat can't resist it, my feet go under both.  For my head, a baseball cap, a hoodie, and my headphones keep my ears warm and help me concentrate.  I look a little like Eminem when I am at my desk.   Pellet stoves keep the house warm, but my office doesn't benefit much from them.  I wear sweats with wool socks and a tee shirt under the hoodie.  It gets really cold here sometimes, and I do break down and turn on the electric baseboard heat occasionally... Vacuuming helps when you are really cold too.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
use an electric room heater

Are there small heaters that are safe to use on a timer and without supervision?

Long story short, my north facing bedroom is much colder than my south facing living room. Whilst the apartment's central system thermostat keeps the living room comfortable, it's much colder in the bedroom.  If I compensate and ramp up the heat for bedroom, it becomes unbearably warm in the living room.  Doesn't matter for me but does for the cat who is in there when I travel.  My cats are separated when I travel as one of them has periodic freakouts and beats on her sister.  When chilled in the bedroom, the cats develop a runny nose.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
Whether you are in your house, a cold office building, or outside, long underwear or fleece lined tights/leggings make all the difference in the world.  If I am in a climate controlled house or office, the fleece lined tights are all I need under my regular clothes.  If I am going in and out or working in the garage, I opt for a merino base layer.  I hate having lots of bulky clothes on and gloves get in the way of everything.  With an extra base layer, you don't even notice the extra clothes. 

Also, if I am feeling chilly and can't get warm, I will hop on our treadmill for a quick mile.  I'm not a very fast runner, so a mile is plenty.  But, it bumps up my internal body temp and keeps me feeling comfy.  Next time you are cold, pop on your shoes and go for a little run or use a cardio video or some thing for 15 min.  You will be amazed how good you feel.  Better than a space heater.  Admittedly, not as good as a cat.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
Bag-o-rice. I have this little tube of rice that I heat up in the microwave and drape it over my lap or feet. Keeps me super toasty. Also, I wear long underwear pants and top with sweats/pj pants and a hoodie over it. On the coldest days, we actually wear winter hats indoors. Seems silly, but keeps you super warm. Hot tea or cocoa works wonders too.

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
hot choco is a good idea. i might try that one. looks like i can buy some jersey gloves for under a dollar, and i could just cut the fingertips off those.

i know i am debating on working out at lunchtime, so that should rev up my temperature some for the afternoon.

i ended up changing my desk light to an LED to try to save on elec costs running it through most of the day, but perhaps i should rethink that.

i'll see how tomorrow goes with some of my thoughts and your recommendations. i think i was keeping it at 65 with just the hoodie.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 05:49:01 PM »
Just reminded me of this:

Targeted electric heater DIY systems for working at a computer.