Author Topic: How to sell literally everything? Also, should I get a storage unit?  (Read 3559 times)

anni

• Stubble
Update.... everything is sold... Except for a few large items I left behind with local friends, either for them to sell for me or for them to keep. We threw away a lot of stuff. We donated as much as we could. We gave away some of the most fragile things at the last minute to neighbors via the Nextdoor app, if they were too delicate to throw in the Goodwill bins. The hardest thing to give away was the "vintage" glass and ceramic Christmas ornaments, but I'm glad someone will get to enjoy them. Facebook marketplace was the easiest place to sell things. Nextdoor was the easiest place to give things away (fewer people, fewer DMs).

I got a 5x5x8' climate controlled storage unit for $50/month all-in, and it is packed with my favorite furniture, art, and rugs. If I don't need those things within a year, I'll probably go ahead and sell almost all of that stuff, too. Thanks everyone for weighing in :)

Hello again friends of the forums....

I love chatting and posting to ask for advice here. I haven't been here long, but I have a tendency to overthink and under-do, and getting it all out here really helps me stop spinning my wheels on the best way to go about something. So I just want to say thank you in advance for being here and helping me out with this Life thing.

You would think after moving once or twice a year every year for 7 years straight I would be a pro at this but alas...

I have about six weeks left on the east coast before I drive out to Colorado for an incredible opportunity to live in a ski town with some friends while we are all working remote into next summer. I think it's just about crunch time on paring down my possessions to just what I want to fit inside my Civic.

I'm not so much worried about how to decide what to bring (I'm one of those carry-on only type travelers) as I am how to get rid of everything I know I don't want to bring. I think for the drive out there, I'll be shaving it all down to three duffle bags, my bike, a monitor, a guitar, and maybe my sewing machine.

So that means I'll be selling off an entire apartment's worth of furniture, and then making some judgement calls on other belongings - store or sell?

The storage unit question is pretty straightforward. I have a number of things like paintings by friends and family that I know I want to have back in my home eventually. I think a small 5x5x10' storage unit will run me about $500/year. Not too bad if I'm only gone a year, I guess, but I'm wondering if there are alternatives anyone would recommend instead. I could stick other things in there to to avoid repurchasing them later, but I'm only really worried about the irreplaceable things. My parents probably can't hang onto it all for me.

I have two ideas for how to approach selling all the furniture and rugs. Option one: digital yard sale on Craigslist. Everything on one listing, repost whenever it expires. I've seen this work well before for small, stylish places, when people are looking to furnish whole first apartments. My stuff might be old but it's nice and looks good together. Option two: lots of individual listings on Nextdoor, LetGo, OfferUp, Craigslist. More annoying but maybe more effective. I got rid of plenty of dog equipment this way just by pricing it cheaply. Thoughts? Since I have six weeks I figure I should start now on everything except maybe the bed.

Finally, just some general musings about the move *back*... For the move out there I did the math and knew that most of my stuff combined, which was mostly secondhand furniture, was probably not worth the cost to pay to move it instead of selling it off. But in Colorado I'm probably going to need to buy at least two big, expensive things - a set of snow tires and a pair of skis - and for the tires especially I'm already dreading deciding how to deal with those next time I move, LOL. A whole set of snow tires? Can I just get them on Craigslist and then resell those secondhand, too? For some reason the idea of a bootleg tire carving shop is burned into my mind.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:19:06 AM by anni »

seemsright

• Bristles
Re: How to sell literally everything? Also, should I get a storage unit?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »
$500 for a small storage unit for the stuff you want to keep is not 'that' bad.

But what after a year you decide to go off to another state for a different adventure? Are you really want to go back to deal with the few things you saved in a $500 storage unit? Can you just take a picture and remember the item?

If you want your life to be able to pick up and go on adventures then the idea of stuff to tie you down to a location is a PITA. Because one day you would have to go back to the storage unit across the country and deal with the stuff.

Really think about how important the stuff is.

Selling your household stuff should not be hard on Craigslist or FB market place. But it could be time consuming. Sell what you can and donate the rest.

When hubby retires after our kid goes off to college and is on her own I dream of just having a backpack and exploring the world. I do not want to deal with stuff. I am just now going through our house and getting rid of as much as I can. I want simple. Esp during this covid thing. I think most people just have stuff to have stuff.

Yes used snow tires are a thing.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
As someone who got rid of 80% of my possessions a couple years ago, getting rid of furniture f-ing sucks.  I basically ended up giving away most of it.  The only things I was able to sell was a bookshelf and kayak.   I listed the old but very sturdy bedroom set plus nearly new mattress for $500, then $200, then $100... finally had to give it away.   

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 04:44:32 PM »
As someone who got rid of 80% of my possessions a couple years ago, getting rid of furniture f-ing sucks.  I basically ended up giving away most of it.  The only things I was able to sell was a bookshelf and kayak.   I listed the old but very sturdy bedroom set plus nearly new mattress for $500, then $200, then $100... finally had to give it away.

Yeah honestly my biggest fear is what do I do if I can't get rid of it. What do people do with mattresses anyway besides pitch them in alleys?

It was worth it getting rid of everything anyway... Right? 😅

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 04:52:02 PM »
I would do a digital yardsale on craigslist but I would take pictures of and post individual items, they will sell quicker because people will search for individual items but then when they arrive you can get people to take more when they see prices on everything.  Offer things CHEAP to promote as many buyers as possible.  In the waning days, just switch to for free.  People are vultures and if you offer it for free people will take ANYTHING.  I've actually dialed back from using Craigslist for free because I thought I was being a good environmentalist but some of what people were taking was so ridiculous I felt I was encouraging hoarders.  Mattress I would give away for free. 

I wouldn't bother with lots of sites (just... time).  Just Craiglist.  And I'd do it like assembly line style.  Take a shitton of photos.  Make a template.  Plug in item and price.  Post.  Rinse and repeat. 

Items that are valuable but also only interesting to a small number of people eBay may be a better option, but for ordinary household junk, fire sale price at Craigslist then you are done. 

Good luck!

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
$500 for a small storage unit for the stuff you want to keep is not 'that' bad.

But what after a year you decide to go off to another state for a different adventure? Are you really want to go back to deal with the few things you saved in a $500 storage unit? Can you just take a picture and remember the item?

If you want your life to be able to pick up and go on adventures then the idea of stuff to tie you down to a location is a PITA. Because one day you would have to go back to the storage unit across the country and deal with the stuff.

Really think about how important the stuff is.

Selling your household stuff should not be hard on Craigslist or FB market place. But it could be time consuming. Sell what you can and donate the rest.

Thanks for this! If I change my mind, I'll at least be storing things in the town my parents live so I'll go back to visit each year anyway and can sort it out then. The time limit for keeping it that I had in mind was 'until whenever I have to buy a couch again.' Even if that happens in another state... Or country hahaha

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:00 PM »
Colorado Springs resident here - FWIW, I have my snow tires on almost half of the year, full set of 4, non-studded. I bought them and the rims from Amazon, but there are used options here too. Easy to sell or give away when you move, especially with how many people are moving to CO right now. Enjoy the ski town life!

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »
The digital yard sale on Craigslist is common here in DC, where people come for a few years, then return to their home state/ country. It works well of you are just trying to get rid of stuff. If you want to recover the most money, posting individual is the way to go.

Research a couple of thrift stores and charities now, so you know who takes small furniture, mattresses, and other foods you don't sell. Someone will appreciate that stuff. Also, you can offer all your leftover food from the pantry and condiments to neighbors or your local MMM friends. I have acquired a ton of food in the past few years from friends who were downsizing or moving cross country, and I was happy to help make sure it didn't go to waste.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
You are right: you should start now . . . remember to repost listings regularly so they don't fall too far down the list.

I like Craigslist single item listings just because there are people who legitimately need furniture (and other things) and you are helping them directly by letting them find your items in a search.

Have the charity truck come at least a few days before you plan to leave, because sometimes they won't take everything. Then you can make an appointment with the junk haulers for the last bit.

Keep a very, very small number of sentimental things. If you don't care enough about it to fit it in your Civic, and it's too much for your parents (who might not want to be your storage unit anyway), then I do vote for "thank it for bringing you joy" and then take a picture of it method of just letting it go. Good luck!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 07:51:12 PM »
One thing to consider is the location and climate you live and how those personal belongings would store without any climate control.

Depending on the items, you may want to consider a smaller, but climate controlled indoor storage.

We live in an apartment. During our next sabbatical we will likely fill our 25’ storage unit with my wife’s car, furniture, and other odds and ends. Then get a small climate controlled storage for paintings, guns, electronics, and other valuable odds and ends.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:00:33 AM »
+1 for Craigslist. Be prepared for a lot of no-shows and low-ballers. But if you just want to get rid of your stuff in a timely manner and don't care about getting top dollar, that's the way to go.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:08:51 AM »
On the snow tires: you absolutely CAN run them on the car all year round.  We have 2 cars right now that we're doing that with.  People cry "oh, but they wear so fast".  Well, boo hoo.....but the tires I buy have double the amount of tread to begin with, so if they wear twice as fast, they equal the garbage, no-season tires that most people buy.  I've had 2 cars that have snows from the start (bought used with part of the deal that the dealer put em on).  One went 71k miles, the other 80k miles on one set of tires.

On to selling.  You have lots of good ideas of where and how to sell.  Do them ALL.  An everything listing, but then list the bigger or more expensive items separately.  Also, if someone comes to look at a table, tell them you're moving and everything goes.  Most people will walk away with more than just the thing they're targeting.

Don't get a storage unit.  We have a friend whose husband died and all the house contents got sold, thrown out, then put into the storage unit.  She's literally begging people to come take the stuff for free at this point.  If it's going into a storage unit, you probably will never use it.  Get one of those rooftop tupperware containers and throw stuff in there if you need to.  Also, you could put on a trailer hitch and put a hitch rack on to stack more stuff, if you need to.

And don't discount curbside freebies.  Our town tends to do this a LOT.  I'll drive by and a huge pile of stuff is left at the curb with a "free" sign on it.  A week later, only the sign remains.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 07:34:52 AM »
We just moved from FL to Nova Scotia and brought very little with us (from a 3 bedroom house).  We gave a bunch of stuff away (bedroom set, diningroom set, couch) and sold what we could.  Since we bought almost everything secondhand, we were fine with giving it away after 8 years of use.  I agree, though, that selling furniture is hard.  I'm also at a point where I'd rather not spend a lot of time doing $50 craigslist sales.  I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay (which is painless, but lousy for furniture) and we sold our car.  My wife sold a bunch of stuff on craigslist / facebook but she has more stomach for that than I do.

Freecycle is very active in some areas, and we had great luck sticking stuff outside with a "free" sign.

Personally, I wouldn't do a storage unit, basically because I wouldn't want the responsibility of having to come back and deal with it if I decided not to return to that town otherwise.  I've moved a lot in my life, and I never leave stuff that I own behind.  I just give it away.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! I forgot about freecycle so I'll definitely post there when it's crunch time. I'll try to sell things until the last 2 weeks and then start giving away.

I'm still struggling with the storage unit question but I think I'm going to go for it anyway. First of all, I realized something funny: at $40/mo for 25 square feet, it's cheaper than some apartments I've rented. And with 10 foot ceilings to boot! LOL. But basically, not counting furniture, I have all this other small but costly ~adult life equipment~ that I'm just temporarily not going to need since I'll have an older roommate who's furnishing all of that. The paintings make it worthwhile regardless, but then on top of that I've got plenty of other things that I could stick in there instead of desperately trying to get rid of, and will definitely need again eventually (my entire kitchen's worth of dishes and appliances, for example). If I'm gone for more than a year, or end up starting to buy extras of the stuff that's stored in there... I'll reevaluate. But I won't be storing things like baseball cards and vintage doilies. (Maybe I'm biased and every storage unit user thinks their stuff is exceptionally useful).

I also realized that I have a family member who will need to start furnishing their first home some time in the next year, and might have a hard time. I can likely just give them an extra key and say "hey, if you need plates and silverware don't buy them, you can have mine, they're in the box labeled KITCHEN." Or something. I'm just trying to add justifications to the pile at this point. But... I think the unit is happening. Only a single car load of stuff, though.

I looked into adding a rack to my Civic, but it looked like it would cost the same as a year or two of storage, haha.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
When my friends sold all their stuff a couple years ago they said they would often sell additional things when people came to pick things up off craigslist. So have all your random stuff you would give away like kitchen stuff, and random household stuff out when people come by. They may pick up a few things here and there for ya.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 01:00:29 PM »
if you have paintings that mean something to you you'll be far happier with a climate controlled storage unit. A cautionary tale.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »
@SailingOnASmallSailboat yes, definitely planning for climate controlled! another way that this unit is somehow a better deal than past apartments... it even has A/C hahaha

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »
Also check to see if there is a local Buy Nothing group on Facebook.  People will come and take almost anything off your porch.  Good way to get rid of stuff that has value, but isn't worth selling. 

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »
Big items, list separate. Smaller items, group together. I.e. fridge gets it's own listing, blender gets lumped in with utensils. Spread the listings out a bit so people don't try to report your listings (15 listings being bumped all at once will get people riled up...2 different listings bumped each day of the week, not so much). Also keeps traffic steady; I tend to get the most responses in the first few hours (many/most are spam, but still).

I've made deals with prior landlords, something like "you keep the security deposit in exchange for clearing whatever's left." I always made it an option, I could follow the contract to the letter including getting it professionally cleaned, or give them extra money and less hassle for us. We still sold most of our stuff, but didn't have to worry about not having a washer, a fridge, or beds to sleep on. Plus we didn't have to let strangers in the house while they were advertising for new tenants. Worked for us. We were looking at overseas moves though, so we didn't have the option of just renting a u-haul trailer.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »
You can set up the interior of your house (or even just the living room or garage if you have one) like an estate sale. List the big things on CL or NextDoor and let people shop when they come to pick up their specified items. It works really well. Pricing things helps, too, if you have the patience for it.

I would NOT give a relative free access to your storage unit if you have things you care about in there.

If you're doing a storage unit anyway, save the practical things you'll need for setting up shop in the future.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 02:03:38 PM »
sell stuff individually. I've generally had good luck with Craigslist to move stuff on if thats what you want to do and are happy to cut prices to get it done.

but there are a lot of people with messed up attention spans on CL, and the multiple items per listing will just confuse them.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »
A great thing about Colorado is that as long as the road in concern gets sun time, the snow melts fast. You can typically bank on the roads being clear within a day or so after a snowstorm, but this is coming from someone who lives near Denver. Winter tires still help if you really need to drive during or after a snowstorm, but you can also just do your research on some all seasons that have good reviews for ice, or as others have said, stick with winters all year.

With all season tires, you can buy chains or a car "sock" for when traction laws are in place, which will be somewhat common if you're near a ski town. I've even seen them in thrift stores before, not that they are very expensive anyway. On the plus side, they work really well and pack down to the size of a tackle box for a mid-size sedan. On the negative side, they sound and feel weird when you drive over patches of bare road, and they're a little clumsy to put on and take off.

(Regardless, if you don't have much experience driving in snow, be extra careful. Also, the first snow of the year causes people to go absolutely insane. You'd think people in the state would know better, but collective memory here is short. Don't even go out on the roads on the first big snow of the year if you can help it, save yourself! :-) )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 02:41:43 PM by thesis »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
On a related note, does anyone have estate sale or tag sale tips? Has anyone hired one of those estate sale companies?

I'm in a similar boat to OP, but I'm definitely not going to get a storage unit. As much as I've had good luck with Craigslist in the past, having a giant sale over one weekend is very attractive to me in getting rid of an entire house full of stuff . . . but I really have no idea what I'm doing in having a large sale like that. Some of my furniture was purchased used and is pretty shabby now, but some of it was extremely expensive and purchased new and it is still really, really nice. 

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »
+1 for Craigslist. Be prepared for a lot of no-shows and low-ballers. But if you just want to get rid of your stuff in a timely manner and don't care about getting top dollar, that's the way to go.

+1

I once moved 500 miles away and only took what I could fit in my Toyota Corolla. Craigslist was great for offloading a ton of the stuff. I also use FB marketplace these days and it works similarly.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 08:02:42 PM »
Friend moved to Australia and it was amazing what people would be on facebook marketplace. a 5-year old bean bag sold for like $50. Just make sure to be as descriptive as possible in the photos since people ask details and then flake. Easier if you have dimensions and pick-up details in the posting.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 08:50:51 PM »
On a related note, does anyone have estate sale or tag sale tips? Has anyone hired one of those estate sale companies?

I'm in a similar boat to OP, but I'm definitely not going to get a storage unit. As much as I've had good luck with Craigslist in the past, having a giant sale over one weekend is very attractive to me in getting rid of an entire house full of stuff . . . but I really have no idea what I'm doing in having a large sale like that. Some of my furniture was purchased used and is pretty shabby now, but some of it was extremely expensive and purchased new and it is still really, really nice.
Yeah, I have a good working knowledge of how to pull one of these off successfully, beginning with Do Not Hire an outside firm unless you're prepared to take a really big haircut for the convenience. If you're serious, I'll do a write-up for you.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 07:17:14 AM »
What do people do with mattresses anyway besides pitch them in alleys?

If you are a responsible human being and can't sell/dispose of the items yourself you hire a disposal company to come with a truck and take away your junk. If it has any value they'll do something useful with it and if it doesn't it will end up in a landfill/recycling centre depending what it is.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 09:02:09 AM »
Moving this week and just wanted to share an update!

First of all, two words: vacuum bags. I sucked all the air out of my foam mattress, rolled it up and stuck it in storage. I also shrunk my pile of towels, pillows and blankets down to a nice, manageable pancake to bring with me. I do laugh at my earlier plan to "shave it all down to three duffel bags." I have an entire suitcase full of books and knick knacks. Oops.

I did score a 5x5 climate controlled storage unit near my parents for less than $50/month, which I'm happy with. It's got an entire bedroom set, that mattress, my nicer rugs, the aforementioned large paintings, and a whole kitchen set of pots and pans and stuff. But if I don't move back after my WFH adventure lease ends, I'll have to go and empty it out before they jack up my rent, which I am assuming they'll do at the one year mark.

I sold off and gave away everything else on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and I've almost made enough $$ to cover my first month's rent in my new place, LOL. Pretty cool!

I'm still a bit wary as to whether I'll be able to fit everything that's left in my car, but I'm happy with the progress I've made over the last month! It's really crunch time now. I'm just going to pack a bag as if I were going on a 2-week trip and then load absolutely everything else up in the back of the car tomorrow.

One thing that's new for me with this move is embracing "throwing things out." I'm usually extremely anti-waste, honestly to a fault, where I've hung onto clothes and bath products and art supplies that I've had for ... 10 years? Things that are too old and gross to even donate, and yet I still think I'm going to use them one day! It's just foolish. I have 3 small boxes of clothes and books to donate. Otherwise I have gleefully tossed a few pairs of shoes, bottles of lotion, makeup, nail polish... what a weight lifted.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 09:04:47 AM »
Best of luck on the new adventure!

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
I'm having a similar dilemma. We recently downsized to a 2/1 (865sq ft) from a 3/2 (1400sq ft) and it forced us to realize how much crap we really have  (well, most of it is me but my wife also has a TON of clothes that has taken multiple medium and large packing boxes).
We have  a 10x15 unit that's *very* full of stuff (mostly in packing boxes) and it's overwhelming trying to recall what's in everything let alone the thought of going through all of it :( The original plan was to have all of it moved to whatever new permanent place we end up in and then sorting it all out there, but I'm seriously having second thoughts about buying in our area (Orange County). Home prices are just insane right now and inventory is low. We moved to this area initially with the intent of getting our kids into a Mandarin immersion program - we have to be in the neighborhood by Feb or March, after that we can technically move wherever we want - it just feels like a long time away and I still wonder if this is where we want to be in the long-term.

I didn't do a great job of directing the movers on how exactly to pack the storage unit so there are boxes and boxes stacked on each other with all the big furniture in the back. I think I didn't really care as much to think through that since I was considering it "temporary" but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake in the case that we don't actually buy in the area and end up moving out of state or something :(

I may have to end up taking a number of trips to the unit to *slowly* try to go through what's in there, one box at a time. The thought of it just sucks though...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:39:33 AM by jeromedawg »

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
Jenni, congrats on the move. Any tips for selling your stuff? How fast did things sell, and which marketplaces were most effective? I'm moving out of my place in SF in about six weeks and also trying to sell everything. I just posted listings for all of my furniture (or at least, all the pieces that I'd like to get more than $100 for) and would appreciate any advice.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 08:07:46 AM »
Jenni, congrats on the move. Any tips for selling your stuff? How fast did things sell, and which marketplaces were most effective? I'm moving out of my place in SF in about six weeks and also trying to sell everything. I just posted listings for all of my furniture (or at least, all the pieces that I'd like to get more than $100 for) and would appreciate any advice.

Things went really well! I sold sooo many things. My general approach was: list things early. Copy the name and dimensions from the original product page if possible. Look up similar secondhand items listed in your area and the prices. List things at 10-20% above what you really want for them so you can haggle. And just give away the cheaper/bulkier/scratched or damaged items - people will JUMP on almost anything posted as 'free.' I experimented with Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor, OfferUp and Craigslist, but I think FB Marketplace was the busiest and most successful. It was a huge PITA though because so many people were sending me messages about my stuff and I had to respond to 1 person at a time until someone said they were on their way, basically. Lots of people ghosted but I still sold everything I listed early enough. I'm so glad it's all gone. Definitely list everything ASAP. I waited until the last minute for things like my desk and desk chair, but honestly in retrospect I'd rather have just sat on the floor to work than been worried about not being able to get rid of those things.

We did end up having large things like mattresses, partially broken or damaged furniture, food from the fridge etc that we couldn't get rid of that we had to pay someone to haul away at the last minute. We had free bulk trash pickup from the city, too, but they couldn't take it all.

I did forget to include the remote to a TV that I sold, which I then had to mail to the guy. So, try not to do that.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »
I see you already moved but for anyone else moving:

I downsized from a 3-bedroom house to a tiny condo last year. Wife and I had to sell almost everything because nothing we had was apartment size. We used Facebook marketplace for everything since it's better than Kijiji (Canada's Craigslist). We offered deals to those who were reliable - wanted multiple stuff, e-transfered a downpayment, showed up on time, etc.

Since we had nice stuff it all sold quickly and easily.

For the beds, we sold them to friends for their spare bedrooms.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2020, 04:57:06 PM »

I downsized from a 3-bedroom house to a tiny condo last year. Wife and I had to sell almost everything because nothing we had was apartment size. We used Facebook marketplace for everything since it's better than Kijiji (Canada's Craigslist). We offered deals to those who were reliable - wanted multiple stuff, e-transfered a downpayment, showed up on time, etc.

I'm surprised folks were trusting enough to do the down payment thing. What was their incentive?

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2020, 01:25:30 PM »

I'm surprised folks were trusting enough to do the down payment thing. What was their incentive?

I posted the ad on a saturday but needed everything until the following weekend. So to hold their spot as the buyer, a down payment was necessary. Sometimes I asked for it, sometimes they offered.

The thing about Facebook marketplace is you can scope the seller/buyer. Huge advantage over kijiji/craigslist.