Author Topic: How to sell antique oven?  (Read 5726 times)

unpolloloco

• Stubble
How to sell antique oven?
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
Just got my hands on an antique oven/dishwasher combo (really interesting combination...) - looks like this one: http://www.automaticwasher.info/TD/AWJPEG/VINTAGE/2012/dishwashercrazy++3-30-2012-10-02-6.jpg.  No idea on its operational state, but cosmetically it's pretty decent.  Anyone have any idea how I could sell it?  Would posting it on craigslist be a viable option or would a different method be better?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: How to sell antique oven?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »

Craigslist, probably... but: figure out what it is worth first.  Antique appliances are an odd game.  There are two trains of thought:

1. Those things are dangerous and worthless.
2. Those things are worth THOUSANDS of dollars.

Both of those trains of thought are very wrong.

There are actually some very specific online boards for both old dishwashers and old stoves.  Get on some of those and sort out what it's worth.  (I am on a couple of old stove message boards... and my wifey reads some other old appliance boards).

What brand is it?

unpolloloco

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
Any suggestions on which boards to hit up?  It's a Universal with a James dishwasher.  Found the original ad for it (attached!)

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
Get thee to RetroRenovation.com ASAP! They will LOVE that there! Post it on Craigslist and then post a link on the RR forums.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
I had to ask wifey...  it looks like the same site you got the photo from:  http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-DISCUSS-O-MAT.cgi

The stove sites I frequent are specific to the Chambers brand...  They would think this is cool... but I don't know that they'd have much info.

I can tell you with Chambers stuff:
* condition matters.  Lots of these are full of grease, mouse poo, etc.  Getting it looking good can be a bit of work. 
* location matters.  There were distribution points in the US where they are plentiful and cheap.  Elsewhere they can be much more.
* color matters.  White goes a lot cheaper than other colors
* professionally restored appliances cost a huge amount, but that doesn't mean they are worth a huge amount.  It just takes lots of labor and you're paying someone to do it.
* I have 3 Chambers.  The average I paid for them was $100 each.   These were thought to be one of the "Cadillac" brands.  Mine cost $360 new.  If you plug that into an inflation calculator for 1951 you get about $3400 in today's dollars -- selling for $100-500.
* if it has any original paperwork or if it came with pots, pans, lifters, broiler pans, etc...  Having those  makes a difference.
* if it's been stored anywhere where it is exposed to moisture... that can be death.  The first problem is rust.  The second is that moisture may ruin the insulation.  (Chambers uses rock wool insulation ... it does not like to get wet.)

Chambers Rangers
Chambers Commune

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
I picked up a white Chambers C Model Dellux for $100 at a garage sale 20 years ago to match my 50's kitchen.  I love it and it's been serving we well since.  They are cool looking and bombproof.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:55:45 AM »
I picked up a white Chambers C Model Dellux for $100 at a garage sale 20 years ago to match my 50's kitchen.  I love it and it's been serving we well since.  They are cool looking and bombproof.

...and I'd say the whole "cooking with the gas turned off" thing is quite Mustacian.