Author Topic: How to secure pannier bags to your bike?  (Read 8288 times)

decessus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to secure pannier bags to your bike?
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:01:50 PM »
So on the advice of this forum, I'm starting to bike to work and bought a set of Axiom pannier bags with the Axiom journey rack.  Everything was working great.  Recently, as I was riding one of the bags must have popped off the bike when I hit a bump (or someone must have just removed it off as I was at a stoplight or something).   I didn't hear it come off and as a result I lost a rather valuable U-lock in the bag as well.

1)  How do you guys secure the bags to the rack?  I was thinking of a luggage strap similar to: http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Luggage-Strap/dp/B00004SR9P/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1411847981&sr=1-6

I thought about zip ties, but I'm worried the bag would fall off again since zip ties break pretty easily I think.  Heh, I'm doing the biking thing to save money but all these replacements are starting to add up ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:04:38 PM by decessus »

AnonymousCoward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How to secure pannier bags to your bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 02:35:45 PM »
Were you using the bungee hook?  You can see what I'm referring to in this picture. The only times my pannier has fallen off is when I was only using the top hooks. If the bag is attached to the rack properly there is almost no way for it to come off.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
Does your axiom pannier have the little plastic flipper-doodle* that folds out to prevent the hooks from jumping off the rack?  I always forget to flip it out, but it might help.  maybe.

*official terminology

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
My panniers have two hooks at the top that completely encircle the top rail of the rack and a metal hook on a bungee that holds the bottom.  Haven't had one come of in three years by making sure they're both securely clamped on.

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
Hmm, I have Axiom panniers and haven't had a problem with them coming off yet. But my husband has Ortlieb and his are definitely more secure.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »
My Avenir Panniers HAVE popped off the rack before. The elastic straps popped off in the past and got bent in my rear spokes so I took them off.

They aren't waterproof, so I need to invest in some waterproof ones. Happy to take suggestions, as long as they're BIG.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 12:41:23 AM »
I have different paniers.  They have a backup velcro closure that wraps around the rack support.   Can you sew a simple velcro loop in?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 06:25:34 AM »
Not familiar with how those attach, but even my Ortlieb panniers fell off a couple times until I adjusted the hooks properly. (Well designed product, but the instructions leave something to be desired.)

Even so, I periodically check to make sure they're still on.

decessus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
Does your axiom pannier have the little plastic flipper-doodle* that folds out to prevent the hooks from jumping off the rack?  I always forget to flip it out, but it might help.  maybe.

*official terminology

Thanks, I never knew what the *flipper-doodle* was for.  I was only using the top hooks (the bungee cord fell off at one point too w/o me noticing - the knots came undone), but now I have a better idea on how to secure the bags.