Author Topic: How to Save for Retirement?  (Read 2540 times)

justplucky

• Stubble
How to Save for Retirement?
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »
A summary:

Me
  • 32-years-old
  • Income is approximately $70k-$80k gross
  • ~$55k in my 401(k) with my current company - invested mostly in index funds (small portion in company stock due to matching, but I reallocate every so often to reduce the percentage).
  • ~$8k in my Roth IRA (opened last year) - invested entirely in an index fund.
  • Plan to max out both this year, and future years assuming I can keep up the same income level.
  • Would love to retire tomorrow (haha), but would ideally retire when my husband does (would be somewhat ER for me due to age difference).

Husband
  • 44-years-old
  • Works as an independent contractor.
  • Income variable, but I feel comfortable saying ~$30k gross for planning purposes.
  • Rolled over 401(k) from previous job into an annuity (~$70k).
  • Will likely retire at traditional retirement age or after due to personal preference (enjoys the social interaction, mental stimulation, etc. at work).

Main Concerns
  • How much/where to save for husband's retirement since he doesn't have a plan through work (will be getting him a Roth IRA of his own this year and maxing it)
  • How much/where to save $$$ to bridge gap between my retirement and the age when I can start accessing my 401(k) and IRA funds without penalty.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How to Save for Retirement?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:27:45 PM »
  • ~$55k in my 401(k) with my current company - invested mostly in index funds (small portion in company stock due to matching, but I reallocate every so often to reduce the percentage).
  • Plan to max out both this year, and future years assuming I can keep up the same income level.
Excellent!

• ~$8k in my Roth IRA (opened last year) - invested entirely in an index fund.
  • Rolled over 401(k) from previous job into an annuity (~$70k).
Traditional imay well be better than Roth - appears you are at the upper end of the income range eligible to have a deductible tIRA.
"Annuity" is a red flag, with the possible exception of a Single Premium Deferred Annuity.  If it is a "variable indexed" (or similar) annuity - how soon can you get out?

Main Concerns
  • How much/where to save for husband's retirement since he doesn't have a plan through work (will be getting him a Roth IRA of his own this year and maxing it)
  • How much/where to save $$$ to bridge gap between my retirement and the age when I can start accessing my 401(k) and IRA funds without penalty.
Have you investigated a solo 401k for husband?  See https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-offer/small-business/individual-401k

You are correct to think about bridging the gap (see https://seattlecyclone.com/accessing-your-retirement-accounts-early-yes-you-can/) but may not need to build that bridge yet.  Might still be best to take as much advantage of tax deferral now, and build the bridge when you get closer to retirement.