Author Topic: How to quit my job, figure out what I want to do, and move to New Orleans  (Read 5208 times)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
I am near the point of beginning a serious job search to transfer to a different federal agency from DC to the New Orleans area.  Or instead of sticking with the Feds, maybe quit my job and enroll in trade school.  Or substitute teach.  Or something totally unrelated and as yet unthought of.  I have no dependents and my current job is getting more depressing every year.  FIRE is not yet possible.

Has anyone done such a thing?  Any advice?   

mozar

• Magnum Stache
When you sat FIRE is not yet possible, how far away is it? Would you be OK setting it back several years? Are you feeling burnout and just need a vacation? Do you have enough money for a sabbatical?

peeps_be_peeping

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm in a similar place. Job is unbearable. Need a change. I'm considering everything - flight attendant, English teacher, ski instructor, cycling tour guide, street sweeper, freelance something-or-other, office temp, vagabond. Have a decent net worth, but not enough money to FIRE. No life partner. My only dependents are two furry ankle-biters. No debt (other than a mortgage).

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
I am near the point of beginning a serious job search to transfer to a different federal agency from DC to the New Orleans area.  Or instead of sticking with the Feds, maybe quit my job and enroll in trade school.  Or substitute teach.  Or something totally unrelated and as yet unthought of.  I have no dependents and my current job is getting more depressing every year.  FIRE is not yet possible.

Has anyone done such a thing?  Any advice?

I have changed careers a few times.  And a few of those times I've combined the career change with a radical crosscountry move.  Every time I did that, my main driver was ballooning disinterest/frustration with my job at the time.  I'm still glad I made those changes, because the difference it made in my mental health and wellbeing was truly priceless.  (It really helped that at least some of those times I was pursuing a career dream.)

So, my feedback to you is that radical changes like that are possible and may even be very necessary to one's psychological wellbeing.

Good luck.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
I have no dependents and my current job is getting more depressing every year.
Based on this, sounds like you're in the right position to do a radical change with a huge chance of seeing a positive impact, as "Retired To Win" mentioned above.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
I would find a way to transfer, don't give up civil service and the pension to go do some random thing. It sounds like your problem is with where you work now. Change that and then assess again.

I was at a cross roads like this years ago. It dropped my income to 1/3 of what it was at the time, and it took a few years to recover, but I now make 4 times what I originally made, have a college degree and am in grad school. I tried a few things I had wanted to try that ended up not being for me.

In the long run it turned out great, though it was rough for a few years. Oddly enough, I look back fondly at those years because I had a simple life, little responsibility and was having a good time being a 20 something year old.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
I have felt like a misfit everywhere I have ever lived (lots of places)

I have always felt like a misfit, but I don't think continuing to move will help. I think it helps to let a location marinate over the years, to find a few people you can get along with. It takes awhile. i don't know where you live, but I've heard making friends is easier in between the coasts then on the east coast or west coast?
On the other side, it could be fun to move to NOLA if you can stay with the feds, not giving up your pension. I did meet one woman who moved every few years with the feds until she retired. 12 years is a long time though, did you just get started?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to quit my job, figure out what I want to do, and move to New Orleans
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
Good luck!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: How to quit my job, figure out what I want to do, and move to New Orleans
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
I wish you the strength to persevere!

PARedbeard

• Stubble