Author Topic: How to obtain transfer balance check from 0% CC?  (Read 14111 times)

sliqx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to obtain transfer balance check from 0% CC?
« on: November 07, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
 I got approved for the chase slate card with a 15k limit, and was hoping to get a balance transfer check so I could write off a check to my student loan lender, however, there was no balance transfer check attached to the card. When I called Chase, they specifically said they DON'T give BT checks since I just opened up the card and would have to wait 90 days. However, after the 90 days, I'd have to pay the 3% transfer fee, so what would be the point? I honestly didn't think it would be this difficult to obtain a balance check but apparently Chase is pretty strict about it. Should I try to give Chase a call back again, requesting the check, and be more persistent? They offered to transfer the balance on "another" credit card but I don't have any debt other than student loans. I dont' want to mention anything in terms of loans with them, because they technically don't allow you to pay off "loans" with the cc, only transfer cc balances, but have heard many successful stories with using the balance checks Thanks!

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
Re: How to obtain transfer balance check from 0% CC?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 08:56:33 AM »
I don't think you can get a 0% no fee balance transfer check.

I regularly get offers from Chase for 0% for 12 months with a 2% fee, but I've never seen a true 0% offer.

They will transfer a balance from another card at 0%, but that does not help you with your loans.

pzxc

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
I agree - every balance transfer I've ever seen or done, whether at account opening or later, whether by check or online, no matter the bank, has always been a 2% or 3% fee (usually 3%).  Lots of times you will have 0% interest for the first X months (often 15), but they always always always charge an upfront fee.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »
Looks like you're in a tight spot. You might still save a little interest by taking advantage of the 0% interest on purchases and throw more cash flow at loan repayment.

It seems like a long time ago -- a decade or more maybe -- but I do remember at one point taking advantage of some true no-fee 0% balance transfer offers. I wish they were still around because I'm in an even better position to take advantage of them than I was back then!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
Just chiming in - I disagree with those of you that say there's "never a 0% fee transfer." While it's a lot less common than it used to be, they do still exist, though the only place I know that does it (personally, in my limited research) is my credit union. They do 2.9% interest (for ~15 months), 0% balance transfer all the time. It's rare to get that from the big banks, though.

That being said - if you open a credit union account with such an offer, then you could likely write a check from the credit union to your student loan, and then transfer the balance from the credit union credit card to your Chase Slate.

clarkm04

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »
I have a Slate card and yes it's a 0% transfer fee for 60 days and 0% APR for 15 months.

I've just moved credit card balances around. 

Is there a way to charge your student loans to a non-Chase cc?  If so you can that, then you can transfer the money to the Slate card for no fees.  If not, I don't know how you'll make that word since Slate only does transfers for non-Chase credit cards.

We opened a Slate card for some home improvements.  Charged a new furnace, A/C, and my kitchen remodel to my Costco American Express and than balance transferred that to the Slate card.  Very cool scheme as long as you pay it off before the 0% APR ends.

Good luck!

sliqx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
The sign up deal was 15 month 0% APR and 60 days free balance transfer. Anything after 60 days is 3% fee with a minimum $5. Unfortunately, I can't charge my student loans with credit cards, they only accept direct deposit or checks, which is why I'm trying to obtain the BT checks from Chase. Should I call and keep trying to convince them to give me one? They said they'd be willing send me one after 90 days (of course, I wouldn't qualify for the free balance transfer). They keep offering to do an online transfer for me, but I don't know what to say to get around the CS on that. (Tell them I have other things to pay for? Are they going to ask me what for?)

sliqx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
An online transfer should be fine, assuming that means ACH. I've used these promotions before and I was permitted to do an electronic transfer to a bank account.

How exactly does this work?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
You can use manufactured spending techniques to access the 15000 right away.

The cost will be about 1% plus time.

You buy visa gift cards, load a prepaid card, write checks from prepaid card (or use evolvemoney to pay your loans with your gift card.

For details, check out my current series on  manufactured spending (or pm me.)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
Even if Chase won't give you a check, they should be able to transfer your student loan balance onto the card. That's what a balance transfer is. It would be weird if they didn't do that.

Fuzz

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 06:06:07 PM »
Do you have a 2nd credit card? What I did in your situation was use a 0 percent check from a capitol one card  and then did a 0 percent balance transfer to Chase Slate. The capitol one 0 percent check accrued interest after 30 days, which is why it didn't have the fee.

The trick is to have a check on another card you can use when you open the account with Chase. But you've 60 days, so you can make it happen.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!