Author Topic: FI, Laid Off, and Job Offer  (Read 1959 times)

debthater

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FI, Laid Off, and Job Offer
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »
Hi, Anyone FI ever get laid off with severance but consider immediately taking a job offer? Would this be insanity?

I have been with my company forever.  I have been planning to leave in 2021 anyway when all kids are in school.  My severance amount is equal to what I net in a year after childcare and other expenses (although the actual amount is much lower.   My childcare is really high). I have an internal offer and am not sure what to do.  I am really tired.   Howver i work completely from home and have a high salary.  I would be unlikely to obtain this situation again should I leave.  My husband's job with 100 pct travel etc makes this the only type of job fit i could do.  So i am scared to leave it.  But two more years seems like a long time to be tired.  My health has deteriorated a great deal with weight gain due to stress.   

He would continue working.   He makes 120k plus, 35k bonus and 35k long term grant yearly. We have a funnel of the long term grants built up and coukd convert 1 to 2 a year.
 We have a little over 1.5m and no debt.  I know if i worked two more years i could get to 2m. 

I woukd take my severance and be un moustachian and use it completely over the next years to pay for full day preschool for my kids.   I have started a business (1 year in; not profitable but expect to make money at the end of this year) and this would let me ramp this up.  I will never replace my income but could expect to make 40 to 80k a year in the next couple of years. It is fun. 

On one hand....this is what i have been waiting for!!! The Package! On the other hand i feel insane to walk away from the work situation I am in.  Any thoughts?

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
Re: FI, Laid Off, and Job Offer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:46 AM »
Sounds like a tough decision. What would an extra half million let you do? For me the cutoff for a high stress work from home job would be $250K, if I could get that or more, I'd keep doing it, less than that, I'd leave the job for someone else.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:52:25 AM »
Sounds like you will be at 2M in a few years whether you take the job or not. Don’t take the job.  Rest. Enjoy life and your kids. Enjoy your new business.  This is what you have worked for.  You are where you wanted to be. I expect the whole family will benefit.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 12:28:48 PM »
If you don't like the job, DH likes his and makes $150k+, I'd take the severance package, easy decision

Maybe even keep the home business as a part time thing until the kids are in school

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »
This does not seem like a hard decision, to me at least.

Take the severance. Enjoy some time off. Enjoy time with your kids and time alone when they are in preschool. 

You can go back to work in a few years if you get bored or need money. You’re probably underselling your ability to get a comparable job.

Congratulations on losing your job!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
How old are the kids?  The tiredness will dissipate over time.

Can you take the severance and get a break?

Can you keep the job and get a break?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!