Author Topic: How to lock my oven door?  (Read 5200 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
How to lock my oven door?
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:31:08 PM »
Any ideas for locking my oven door?

My roommate repeatedly leaves the oven on. After many discussions he has gotten better but not enough. So I'm looking to make it so that he can't use it. I can't charge him more for electricity because his dad pays the rent (always early too). So it won't affect him at all. I see this childlock: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Oven-Door-Decor/dp/B005XTCM7M but I think he would figure it out :-)

I could turn off the breaker but he would catch on to that. Any suggestions? I'm willing to drill into the oven.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Re: How to lock my oven door?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »
Could you install a timer that automatically turns it off instead? It might go over better with the roommate.

I'm interested in this too, cause, uh, my roommate does the same thing. Only difference is our oven is gas. I'm more worried about safety than cost at this point. At least twice it's been left on for 24+ hours until I discovered it. He just says "oops."  Leaves space heaters on too. And lights, but I've given up worrying about the lights.  Financially I'm still saving way more money by having a roommate than he's costing in additional utilities.

What I've done so far is get renter's insurance with a million dollar liability coverage.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:31:49 PM by neophyte »

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:26:52 PM »
Is there a way you can have a timer or something so that it can go off to remind him to turn it off?

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 10:18:01 PM »
For people with dementia, families often take off the knobs.

I'm not sure that would work with a roommate, though. Is there a way to get him in the habit of setting an extra timer when he turns on the oven? Maybe tape a LOUD one to the control panel to make it easy? When it goes off, he'll remember he needs to shut the oven off.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »
@neophyte where did you get this insurance? I could get it and tell his dad he has to pay for the premiums.

How would a timer work? Could it go on by itself when he turns on the oven and go off after a certain amount of of time? The thing is he usually goes to his room or leaves after using the oven where he can't hear.
Has anybody heard of an app you can install that connects to an oven sensor? I already got a smart fire alarm that texts me if it goes off.
No knob on oven unfortunately .

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »
Put a large print paper sign on a nearby cabinet that says "Please turn the oven off".  If he's doing it out of forgetfulness, this should help.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
Wouldn't be cheap, but I'm guessing you could smart wire and monitor your place and have the ability to turn things on and off from your iphone.
A mistake or two like that is forgivable.  Doing it frequently is unacceptable, stupid and life threatening.   Your dipshit roommate needs to get his head out of his arse or quit using the appliances.
If he won't straighten out, find a new roommate. 

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »
I mean, he could still turn the oven on even if it was locked. Not sure what problem locking the oven solves. Learn to deal or get a new roommate!

Taking off the knobs isn't a terrible idea either.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »
The fact that this is happening at all makes me feel better about basically everything in my life.

Thanks.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 02:11:31 PM »
Good luck. My DH leaves the oven on every single time he uses it. Drives me CRAZY. If they don't care they won't change. Sorry to break it to you!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »
Good luck. My DH leaves the oven on every single time he uses it. Drives me CRAZY. If they don't care they won't change. Sorry to break it to you!

what do you mean this is an absurd thing to do ... does he also leave all the doors open and all the lights on and blast the AC and the heater dpending on season. i mean where do you let this level of ignorance stop in your relationship.

only the lights on and doors open cant burn yuor house down like leaving an oven on could

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »
Turn the oven off BEFORE removing the food.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »
You would have thought evolution would have weeded out individuals such as your roommate.

Clearly, Darwin was wrong.

Turn the oven off BEFORE removing the food.

Bingo.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 06:51:13 AM »
I was the guy who didn't turn the oven off when I was in university.  A combination of not cooking (ever) before university, waiting until I was starving to make a meal (so all I cared about was eating), and general forgetfulness was generally the culprit.  Seriously.  The sign idea I mentioned earlier worked for me.  Much easier than getting a lock, and less hard feelings on all sides.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 07:49:37 AM »
Every time he does it, run into his room screaming AAAAH! SHIT! FIRE!

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 08:20:10 AM »
Get a toaster oven. Microwave too. Both will shut off automatically when the timer ends and between these two appliances he will be able to cook most of the same things that he would using the stove.

Tell him to stop using the stove altogether. That's sort of a weird and patronizing thing to have to tell another adult, but since he is putting your basic safety at risk I think you're totally justified in asking for this concession as long as there are other ways available for him to cook his food.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:23:01 AM by scantee »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »
I like the knob suggestion. My parents did that when I was a kid because she was worried the really little ones would turn on the burners and/or oven when no one was looking. The knobs were kept on a very high shelf in an upper cabinet so only the adults and older kids who were responsible could reach.

However - the knob thing won't work depending on the age of the appliance. My current stove is brand new. It has knobs for the 4 burners, but the oven itself turns on through non-removable buttons. You can lock the button use, but it's like a child-safety lock. Young kids wouldn't figure out how to undo it, but an adult easily could.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »
I like the knob suggestion. My parents did that when I was a kid because she was worried the really little ones would turn on the burners and/or oven when no one was looking. The knobs were kept on a very high shelf in an upper cabinet so only the adults and older kids who were responsible could reach.

However - the knob thing won't work depending on the age of the appliance. My current stove is brand new. It has knobs for the 4 burners, but the oven itself turns on through non-removable buttons. You can lock the button use, but it's like a child-safety lock. Young kids wouldn't figure out how to undo it, but an adult easily could.

i mean even if the knobs werent there a simple pair of pliers as an adult would work around that too. 

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 04:39:57 PM »
I was thinking of getting a toaster oven anyway. But I'll try a sign first.