Author Topic: How to live a more carefree and relaxed life? Stopped drinking alcohol.  (Read 2239 times)

pudding

• Bristles
Hi all, I recently had the doc tell me to quit drinking for a month as I'd developed this drinking each night habit for about the last 10 years that apparently has caused my pancreas to become aggravated.

I didn't drink like blackout drunk, more like a bit tipsy, but anyway quit I have and not missing it. May have a drink here and there in the future but not like before.

Part of the reason I picked up the habit was to dull the effects of stress and strains of life.. being a parent, owning a business, end of a relationship, family strife, untimely tragic deaths.

Anyone out there who regularly and actively manages the stress and strains of their life?   

Some of the useful things I've done this last couple of years to get things in order have been;

1. hot yoga 2 or 3 times a month.
2. boxing every now and then.
3. bought an infra red sauna from Costco and sit in that a couple of times a week.
4. quit drinking for a while.
5. really got into studying family dynamics and tried to take a 'big picture' look at my interactions with my family.
6. let some old unproductive friendships slide.
7. joined a meetup group and started to play music again and made some friends through doing that.
8. tied up loose ends at my business. Restructured some of my small business practises and things are much better.
9. visited my home country/town as I'd been avoiding going there for over 10 years.

Anyone got any good ideas?

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
For me, meditation was tremendously helpful.  And for quitting drinking (and staying stopped) AA was very helpful.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
I have always found that exercise is a great stress relief.

That or staring at the water / taking a nap by a stream / ocean

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
For me, it's some physical extreme.

Option 1 is crossfit or strongman training -- pushing myself to my limits, being a giant smart-ass, and swearing my head off when it's really hard -- all without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Option 2 is doing absolutely nothing -- lying on a beach, or meditating quietly, or just reading a book.

I tend to alternate between those two depending on my mood (for example, Crossfit when I'm mad or agitated or frustrated, quiet when I'm scattered or frazzled or overwhelmed). 

And for me, a drink can be part of option 2 -- but only because I almost never do it, and so for me it really can just take the edge off and help me relax.  But that is obviously highly personal.

The 585

I found it much easier by replacing alcohol with kombucha. It's much healthier, cheap and easy to brew your own, and still fulfills the desire to relax and drink something bubbly and refreshing.

Enigma

• Bristles
I have the free version of Alltrails (app on my phone) and have been exploring my area with hiking trails.  To go with it, I have downloaded long fictional audiobooks from audible on my cellphone.  I just plug in while on long hikes and unplug a little from the world.  Feels almost like watching TV because my imagination is running wild with the audiobooks.

Also I have a dramatized version of the bible (77hours) from audible.

Every now and then I will get a phone call or text message that needs some attention.  But since I am using my phone I am still connected as much as I have to be.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
For me, it's some physical extreme.

Option 1 is crossfit or strongman training -- pushing myself to my limits, being a giant smart-ass, and swearing my head off when it's really hard -- all without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

Option 2 is doing absolutely nothing -- lying on a beach, or meditating quietly, or just reading a book.

I tend to alternate between those two depending on my mood (for example, Crossfit when I'm mad or agitated or frustrated, quiet when I'm scattered or frazzled or overwhelmed). 

And for me, a drink can be part of option 2 -- but only because I almost never do it, and so for me it really can just take the edge off and help me relax.  But that is obviously highly personal.
Same here.

The physical, for me, seems to be training for half marathons and weight training.

Otherwise, sitting on a couch, going for walks, reading a book, crocheting or sewing, playing games with my kids.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
I find that doing something repetative like cross stitch, knitting, crochet, sewing or quilting really helps. It's almost like meditation for me. Sometimes with a history documentary or a gardening TV-show in the background. (No, I'm not over the age of 80 :) ) . I also like cycling through nature (doesn't have to be a super beautiful area, just more green than grey) and exercise but as I have a health condition I can't do certain forms of excerise.

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Exercise six days a week and meditation is what works for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!