Author Topic: How to Learn More About Cars  (Read 2368 times)

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
How to Learn More About Cars
« on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
I want to learn a bit more about cars.

Firstly so I don't get ripped off when I take it on for a service and secondly so I can take better care of my own car.

There might be potential (not quite sure yet) that I buy older cars, fix what ever is wrong with them and re sell to make a bit of side money, but this would come with time.

I'm sure reading books can only get someone so far.

Also, would I need to outlay and buy a lot of tools in order to go ahead with this?

I've signed up for a basic car maintenance weekend course in a months time as a starting point.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: How to Learn More About Cars
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
Step 1: Start working on cars.

Or, alternately, find friends who work on cars (as you know nothing about working on cars, it's generally safe to assume you don't have friends who do this either).  Hang out with them on the weekend.  Buy beer.

You really just have to dive in and start doing stuff.

Bajadoc

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:55:12 PM »
Tons of car maintenance stuff on You Tube.

Migs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • That'll do, pig. That'll do.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
+1 for YouTube. Also check local internet car forums - some are quite active and can have valuable resources - like a copy of your car's service manuals.

Also, it helps to read the drivers manual that comes with the car as it'll usually tell you maintenance intervals and what fluids use etc.

I'd also suggest doing something pretty easy when starting to work on your car. One of the first things I learned was how to change the engine oil and oil filter.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »
Consider picking up a part time job at an auto dealership, repair shop, tire & lube shop, etc. to get some experience around that sort of thing.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 04:24:47 AM »
YouTube is a great resource. I follow ChrisFix and Eric the Car Guy on there. I would also recommend getting whatever the official service manual for your vehicle is. It will tell you all the correct fluids, lubricants, and torque specs to use. They usually have nice diagrams for things you might have to disassemble and put back together.

Also, be prepared to spend some money on tools. they will pay for themselves in money saved eventually but you will need to get a decent floor jack, jack stands, a torque wrench or two, and some sockets.

I've been in the process of learning how to do more work on my car too after my dealership did a sloppy job on my car the last time I brought it in for work. They spilled brake fluid on one of my headlights which ate through the clear coat and left a shop rag dangling from the right front control arm. They also put additives in the coolant I didn't ask for. I'm not going to pay top dollar to have somebody half ass the work on my car anymore or try to sneak bullshit charges in on me.