Author Topic: how to leap from consulting to MegaCorp?  (Read 3816 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
how to leap from consulting to MegaCorp?
« on: October 26, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
I work for a small consulting company. MegaCorp and OtherMegaCorp are our two biggest clients. We got the news this week that OtherMegaCorp won't be renewing their contract with us. Effective nearly immediately, that revenue source has dried up. Our management has been very careful to reassure us that they are in hot pursuit of other contracts. No one has said anything about layoffs, but I think it would be wise to have options.

My question is, how can I discreetly let MegaCorp know I would be interested in working for them? I don't want my current company to know I'm putting out feelers. And I don't want to let MegaCorp know there is anything wrong at our company. I have friendly contacts there, and my work for them has always been excellent.  I should add I would love to work for MegaCorp. I would see it as a promotion, not something I'm settling for.

Our manager used to work for MegaCorp - in fact, he oversaw the same consultants he oversees now at our consulting company. He somehow made the leap from MegaCorp to our company. So I know it is possible to switch companies, I just can't think of a way to get a conversation started.

BlueSky45

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: how to leap from consulting to MegaCorp?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
Are you on Likedin?  You might be able to contact someone from MegaCorp directly or through a friend that knows someone at MegaCorp and let them know that you're thinking about the possibility of learning more about opportunities at MegaCorp?  Linkedin has always worked great for me.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »
Are you sure your company doesn't have a non-poaching agreement with MegaCorp?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
Are you sure your company doesn't have a non-poaching agreement with MegaCorp?

No, I'm not sure about that. I'll have to find out.