Author Topic: How to launch a web/movile app?  (Read 6151 times)

Stagleton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to launch a web/movile app?
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
I want to launch a web/mobile app. I'm learning to program everything on my own, which is great for learning and it's wicked cheap (no costs except for the computer which I already had). I want to speed up development so I can launch it this fall or next spring. How do I get it done cheaper and faster? A couple friends want to help, but they either don't know how to program very well or are very busy. Any suggestions?

Most people either have no suggestions or tell me to hire/overpay someone or others say to be careful because a company could easily take the idea. You lot seem like a clever bunch, so I'm wondering what suggestions people here have.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
Re: How to launch a web/movile app?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
I want to launch a web/mobile app. I'm learning to program everything on my own, which is great for learning and it's wicked cheap (no costs except for the computer which I already had). I want to speed up development so I can launch it this fall or next spring. How do I get it done cheaper and faster? A couple friends want to help, but they either don't know how to program very well or are very busy. Any suggestions?

Most people either have no suggestions or tell me to hire/overpay someone or others say to be careful because a company could easily take the idea. You lot seem like a clever bunch, so I'm wondering what suggestions people here have.
Depending on the idea, you might want to skip the mobile app and just design a mobile version of the site. Boom, cross-device compatibility!

Throwing more programmers at a project in flight won't necessarily speed things up. In fact, it often slows them down.

I would say the best way to get things out the door are:
  • Put more hours into learning how to program if you're really going to maintain the project yourself long-term. What can be really helpful with this is reading other people's code.
  • Release early and often. Automated tests will help you QA quickly before releasing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:23:58 AM by jpo »

DC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
    • Release early and often. Automated tests will help you QA quickly before releasing.
    This. Keep shipping and pay close attention to your customers feedback. I'd recommend reading Lean Startup by Eric Ries, it has valued knowledge on agile software development, costumer development, lean thinking and fits best for software startups.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
    « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:57:07 AM »
    Since you stated that doing it on your own is "wicked cheap", I'm going to assume you really want to get it done faster. As a software engineer, I feel I can help a bit on this. Here are some general suggestions:
    • Define everything well before you start programming. By this I mean write down (on paper) exactly what you want your application to do. Determine what kind of input you'll need and your expected output. Then develop rigorous tests that you will run to ensure that your program behaves normally even if the input isn't want you expected.
    • Categorize your features into "must haves" and "want to haves". The "must haves" are the core functionality of your application while the "want to haves" are extra features and eye-candy. Finish the "must haves" first. Do not add to the list as you go a long. Do not change your goal once you've started. Do not succumb to "feature creep".
    • Talk to the people that will be using your application early and often. They are the ones that will make it a success or a failure. Give them what you want even if you disagree. At the same time, realize that many users wont know what they want. If what they ask for isn't a "must have" then put it at the bottom of the "want to have" list.
    • Ask lots of questions. Programmers, as introverted as we are, like to help others. If you're trying to perform some task, chances are others have done it already. Search Google for the solution and use it. If you can't find what you need, ask a question on one of the StackExchange sites. Don't reinvent the wheel.
    • Just do it! When I need to write, I adopt the philosophy of "just write, even if it's crap". Not only does this force me to make progress, but usually it's not really crap. Even if it is, it's much easier to edit something that already exists than to create it in the first place.

Arbor33

• Stubble
    « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
      • Ask lots of questions. Programmers, as introverted as we are, like to help others. If you're trying to perform some task, chances are others have done it already. Search Google for the solution and use it. If you can't find what you need, ask a question on one of the StackExchange sites. Don't reinvent the wheel.

I can't tell you how often software engineers rely on Google... I'm a relatively new software engineer and I sometimes wonder how I'd function without it. Even the Sr. engineers around here frequent code examples from around the web.

Code: [Select]
      // i = days you have invested into your project
      for(int i = 0; i<lifeOfSoftware;i++)
        {
          keepCoding();
          keepAskingQuestions();
          acceptUserCritiques();
        }

Taylor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
      I would look at Appit Ventures (appitventures.com) for help with development. They helped me develop a low-cost app last year, great company :)

gooki

• Magnum Stache
        • My FIRE journal
      « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
      And if you need additional funding (and free marketing) for professionaly programmer, UI developers, musicians, or artists etc, I have three words for you: Kictstarter, kickstarter, kickstarter.

I have work colleagues who'd leave today to start an independent game development company if they had access to such a funding source. Trying to get venture capital funding will mean giving up a huge portion of your business, and having to satisfy yet another person.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

arebelspy

• Administrator
      • Senior Mustachian
      « Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
      I have work colleagues who'd leave today to start an independent game development company if they had access to such a funding source.

So what did they do that kickstarter banned them?
      I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
      If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
      I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Stagleton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
      « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
      Wow. Thanks for the advice guys! Very helpful.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
        • My FIRE journal
      « Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »
      I have work colleagues who'd leave today to start an independent game development company if they had access to such a funding source.

So what did they do that kickstarter banned them?

They're not banned, just outside the geographic zone. Tickstarter is USA only at the moment.

arebelspy

• Administrator
      • Senior Mustachian
      « Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
      Ah, hmm.  That seems like it shouldn't be too hard to get around as long as they know someone stateside.
      I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
      If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
      I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.