Author Topic: how to keep warm in my apartment...  (Read 12818 times)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
how to keep warm in my apartment...
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »

i don't pay for my electricity but don't want to waste electricity either...
so what is a realistic temp that i should try to keep my apartment at?
i have windows all around and a small electric space heater that the land lord gave me....
it's been kind of cold the past few nights but i'm in san diego so that's a very relative statement...

Miamoo

• Stubble
Re: how to keep warm in my apartment...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
Whatever makes you comfortable.

How cold is San Diego?

Not to be snarky but this is a joke right?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
Clothing has historically been a popular choice for warmth . . .

If you choose to eschew clothing, perhaps some lunges and deep squats in front of your windows would keep you warm.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »

honestly it wasn't supposed to be a smart ass post...
clothing for sure...i'm using to sleeping in boxers (sorry for the visual) so that's something i'm trying to get used to...
i guess i'm wondering if people use a heater at all or just brave the cold with warmer clothing..
if you do use heat how warm/cold do u keep the place?

as for how cold SD gets i'm embarrassed to answer that question cuz you from chicago...so by definition SD doesn't get cold...
maybe 40 at the coldest? 45? dunno

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
Clothing has historically been a popular choice for warmth . . .

If you choose to eschew clothing, perhaps some lunges and deep squats in front of your windows would keep you warm.

I love it!

Truly this must be a joke.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »
Fill multiple 80 - 90 gallon plastic drums with water and place them in front of the south side of your windows.  In the day the drums will be heated by the sun and will warm up, in the night they will give off heat into your room.

Side bonus . . . plenty of drinking water to use when the zombie apocalypse comes . . .

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
Maybe 65 degrees or so. I get cold easily, so I can commiserate. Wear wool if you need it.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
I am in MN, so our relative cold is probably a bit shifted (I sleep naked with a sheet when it's around 70. As a guy. Drink it in.) We're not allowed to bitch about the cold until it's under -20.

My feet are the major issue so depending on cold around the house, either a pair of gym socks, smartwool socks, or a pair of sheepskin slippers. Shorts or pj pants if it's getting cold around the house. In bed it's a sheet, maybe a secondary thin blanket, and then my grandpa's wool navy blanket (which is rough enough to sand with but works well as a topper). If you have hardwood / non-carpet the feet thing is probably the biggest issue.

Or just get a little fatter. When I was 155 I got cold a lot, now at 195 it's much less of a concern.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »
Sorry Mashori.  I should be more kind.  I suppose comfort level depends on where you're from and what you're used to.

Yes, I'm from Chicago and in our house we don't even think about turning the furnace on until it get's around 40 Fahrenheit.  Until then we keep the windows open as we dread closing the house for the winter, (enjoy the fresh air), put on socks and maybe an extra sweater or sweatshirt, start pulling the heavy quilts and comforters out.

It's 72 here today and I'm wearing shorts and a tee shirt as this is still quite warm so . . . depends on what you're accustomed to.

"I am in MN, so our relative cold is probably a bit shifted (I sleep naked with a sheet when it's around 70. As a guy. Drink it in.) We're not allowed to bitch about the cold until it's under -20.

My feet are the major issue so depending on cold around the house, either a pair of gym socks, smartwool socks, or a pair of sheepskin slippers. Shorts or pj pants if it's getting cold around the house. In bed it's a sheet, maybe a secondary thin blanket, and then my grandpa's wool navy blanket (which is rough enough to sand with but works well as a topper). If you have hardwood / non-carpet the feet thing is probably the biggest issue."

jba - the sheet thing with me starts at around 50.  Not nekkid tho cuz fer cripes sake what if the house catches fire and I have to run outside?  Nekkid ol' lady would damage/traumatize/terrify the neighbours!  ;-)

Guitar - can't wait to see your next comment!  Spent a weekend downtown last September with friends from Calgary who were still running around in shorts & sandals while we had jeans & long sleeved sweaters!!!!  They thought we were crazy!  Too funny.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
Oops.  Re-read the original post.  Time to quit being snarky and answer one of the questions from mashori.

We keep the thermostat at 62 - 68 during the winter dependent upon humidity and wind during the day.  55 degrees at night.

Put the AC on when it goes over 90 usually.  All dependent upon the humidity.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
Fill multiple 80 - 90 gallon plastic drums with water and place them in front of the south side of your windows.  In the day the drums will be heated by the sun and will warm up, in the night they will give off heat into your room.

Side bonus . . . plenty of drinking water to use when the zombie apocalypse comes . . .

Useful advice!  Those damn zombies will hit California first dontcha know?  (may the gods forgive me, it's all guitar's fault - guitar brings out the snark)

kt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »
wearing socks makes a big difference to me. feet often end up outside the covers and my feet are usually cold anyways.
i love my big feather duvet. i can't imagine sheets/blankets ever being as warm.

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »
Wool is the best material known to man.  Merino wool isn't your typical heavy 'itchy' wool, give that a shot.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
I'm in North County.  I understand - last few days have been cold.  Yes - I get it, for much of the country this isn't "cold" but for us it is.  I am trying to avoid turning on the heater as long as possible.  We try to get as much heat as we can from opening shades/etc then closing when sun goes down.  And all of my fall cooking/baking etc helps too :)

So far early AM inside mid 60's, warms to mid 70's just by the above measures.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
This topic has been on my mind, as the outside temps got below freezing earlier this week.  Inside my house, the temp in the mornings was mid 50s.  I did not turn on the heat, but I wore Smartwool socks, sweatpants, a long sleeved cotton shirt, another thicker Patagonia long sleeved shirt, fingerless ragg wool gloves, a Buff, a balaclava, a hat, and a down vest.  And I occasionally dropped to the floor and did a set of 25 pushups!  I'd like to make it until at least 10/15 with no heat.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
You guys must have some pretty terrible insulation in your houses.  We typically don't have to turn on the furnace until mid November . . . when the daily high drops down to about 5-6 degrees C (40 F for the luddites).  We set the heat at 15 (59F) during the night and 17 (63) during the days when the furnace goes on.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
My place is well insulated.  But the low temps on Oct 2 - Oct 9 dropped to 31, 32, 28, 22, 23, 27, 32, and 33 degrees Fahrenheit.  So yes, the temp inside my house also dropped.  I have gas heat (fairly cheap), but I am trying to be badass and not use it.  Could be difficult in the next couple of days, though, as we are getting a cold front moving through--snowing right now!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
We're wimps.  We keep it 68 inside during winter (although I think it drops to 65 at night), 78 summer.  Too humid in the summer to go over that without frying my brain.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
My place is well insulated.  But the low temps on Oct 2 - Oct 9 dropped to 31, 32, 28, 22, 23, 27, 32, and 33 degrees Fahrenheit.  So yes, the temp inside my house also dropped.  I have gas heat (fairly cheap), but I am trying to be badass and not use it.  Could be difficult in the next couple of days, though, as we are getting a cold front moving through--snowing right now!

Oh my!  We didn't have that great of a drop this week - 60 miles west of Chicago - quite near the Wisconsin border.  I think the lowest it's been has been 38 farenheit at night.  Where are you?

(PS - grew up in OPRF right next to Chicago and totally remember it being 70+ degrees and pleasant on one side of the street, 40 with wind on the other side as we walked home from school.  Raining on one block, dry on the next)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 12:48:05 PM »
as for how cold SD gets i'm embarrassed to answer that question cuz you from chicago...so by definition SD doesn't get cold...

On the contrary, I grew up in New England, and have spent plenty of time in places like Montana, yet the coldest I can ever remember being was doing guard duty at Camp Pendleton, just a few miles north of San Diego.  It's not that the absolute temperature is so low, but that the fog off the ocean just seems to suck the warmth out of you, right down to the bones...

For keeping warm while sleeping, there are these things called blankets.  Add one or more to the bed.  And during the day, a nice fuzzy hat really helps.  I like Turtle Fur myself.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
Maybe we should start a new 'Off Topic' topic.

Where do you live and how do you deal with the cold, cold winter in your area?

Better yet, I think I'll start it if allowed in "Ask a Mustacian"

Now, how to phrase it . . .

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
Maybe we should start a new 'Off Topic' topic.

Where do you live and how do you deal with the cold, cold winter in your area?

Better yet, I think I'll start it if allowed in "Ask a Mustacian"

Now, how to phrase it . . .

I once spent the entire winter in Milwaukee without turning the heat on.
1) upper floor apartment gets more warm air rising from lower apts
2) sealed every window with the plastic stuff
3) wore sweatshirts/wool sweaters
4) lots of blankets for bed
5) whiskey didn't hurt ;)

I actually really enjoyed it...that was before I was married. My wife would die.

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »
So, I did start a new query about who thinks what's hot/cold.

From zarfus . . .

"I once spent the entire winter in Milwaukee without turning the heat on.
1) upper floor apartment gets more warm air rising from lower apts
2) sealed every window with the plastic stuff
3) wore sweatshirts/wool sweaters
4) lots of blankets for bed
5) whiskey didn't hurt ;)

I actually really enjoyed it...that was before I was married. My wife would die."

Zarfus, We are so strange in that I'm the one that can't stand the heat (5'6" 120# so weight and body fat don't enter into this one) but my 6'2" 190# husband - healthy as a horse can't stand what he considers cold.

What does your wife consider cold?  Didn't seem to me that Milwaukee was as cold as here.  Am I remembering wrong?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »

[/quote]

Oh my!  We didn't have that great of a drop this week - 60 miles west of Chicago - quite near the Wisconsin border.  I think the lowest it's been has been 38 farenheit at night.  Where are you?
[/quote]

I am in southwest Colorado.  The snow stopped earlier this afternoon, but now it has started up again.  It is supposed to get down to 25 F tonight, then high 20s for the next 3 nights.  Brrr. I might have to turn on the heat.  Or start drinking whiskey again.  :(

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
Eeeeep.  We've been hearing about this from a friend just outside of North Platte actually.  He' and his wife are all hunkered down (plenty of blankets, firewood and a freezer full of venison & pheasant - illegal?) waiting for this weird storm to hit.

94 - our friend and his wife are loaded up on beer and whiskey. blech.  But whatever it takes!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:57:10 PM by Miamoo »

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 05:09:38 AM »
Get a dog or a couple of cats!  The colder you keep the apartment, the more they will snuggle you and keep you warm!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 05:16:26 AM »
52 degrees F in my house this morning.  I'm toasty warm, having just had some hot coffee and hot cereal, and having done a set of 25 pushups!

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »

Zarfus, We are so strange in that I'm the one that can't stand the heat (5'6" 120# so weight and body fat don't enter into this one) but my 6'2" 190# husband - healthy as a horse can't stand what he considers cold.

What does your wife consider cold?  Didn't seem to me that Milwaukee was as cold as here.  Am I remembering wrong?

Chicago vs Milwaukee? About the same in all honesty.  Both close to lake, both windy.

She actually really likes the cold, but triggers her raynaud's, so we usually keep the tstat around 60-62 when we're at the house during the day (cooler at night) in winter.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 07:18:09 AM »
Agree with zarfus on the wonderfulness of wool. Good wool products are not that easy to find these days, but IMO they are worth the investment. In fact, I love cashmere and have a few cashmere sweaters that I treasure and wear constantly. When they are too old to be displayed in public they become my around-the-house wear. Agree also that slippers/thick socks are essential. (I live between NY and Montreal, so I do know about cold.)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 07:45:16 AM »
When my grandmother didn't want to turn on the actual heat, she would use the oven.  I like a nice roast with carrots and onions cooked on 200-250 for a couple hours if that's an option for you as alternative to keeping warm the traditional way. 

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
Clothes for sure.  Like others have mentioned, wool socks can make a huge difference.  Last winter I also snagged a pair of smartwool slippers on super clearance at sierra trading post and I LOVE them.  Put them on and I suddenly feel a lot warmer.

During the day, the best solution (after wearing enough clothes) is to move around.  I used to work from home in a really drafty house.  Getting up and doing a few jumping jacks and pushups, or going out and talking a quick walk, are all really helpful from keeping your body warm.  Plus it will keep in shape :)

At night, a hot water bottle and warm blankets or a down comforter are really good.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »
I live in CO and it can get cold here. I do hate wearing layers because of the static. So will wearing wool make me a static zone? I really really really hate static. I know it's ridiculous but I really hate it.

Thanks for the tips though. I was just gonna ask this question.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2013, 10:39:52 AM »
Get a dog or a couple of cats!  The colder you keep the apartment, the more they will snuggle you and keep you warm!

The problem is my cats won't share!  Only one is allowed to sleep with me at a time.  I've semi-woken up in the middle of the night with flailing feline punches near my head as they duke it out for the coveted upper right side of the bed.  I'm hoping that when it gets really cold (I'm in Maryland, it's all relative), they will compromise and share the bed.

adesertsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
If you get chilly in a certain area of your house (while sleeping, while sitting on the couch, etc) you can try one of these: http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EW7707CM-Safeheat-ComforTemp-Oil-Filled/dp/B000TGDGLU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381511548&sr=8-2&keywords=plug+in+radiator

We live in Chicago and in between the start of chilly season and when it reeeeally gets cold, we will turn one of these on and it handily warms a targeted space without wasting energy on heating the whole house. 

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
As a Wisconsin native, I can confirm that San Diego housing can be very indeed cold in winter, as the houses are generally uninsulated and poorly heated, and nighttime temperatures can get down to the 40s. I lived in a house just off the ocean that only had "wall furnaces" that looked like they'd burn the house down, and thus we didn't use them all winter.

I also moved to San Diego not realizing how cold it would be, and didn't bring any warm clothes from the North. Buying a good, thick wool sweater made a big difference. With that, I was fine without heating except on the coldest nights, when it got down to 40 or below.

Since it's coldest in the mornings, I also started wearing warm pajamas-- getting out from under a warm blanket into an unheated house was just about impossible without them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:22:57 PM by ehgee »