Author Topic: How to increase income in work downtime  (Read 2809 times)

dafoe1999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to increase income in work downtime
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:58:40 AM »
A lot of days at work I have a lot of downtime. I hate wasting time. Does anyone have ideas on what can be done to make extra income while at work?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to increase income in work downtime
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
I did some freelance writing/blogging during downtime for awhile. Didn't make a lot, but it was interesting work and made the day go by faster. If you are good at it, you can make a couple hundred dollars a month without too much hassle.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 01:14:35 PM »
I adjunct teach for a community college. You need a masters and 18 hours in a particular subject area. The downside to this is if work gets really busy for a few weeks, I have to do the classwork at home. I also take surveys, but this amounts to a small amount of money (maybe $10/month, but I only do a couple a week or less). I also follow couponing blogs and sign up for free stuff (like yesterday I got two pretty large travel size shampoos in the mail) and sweepstakes.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:51:59 PM »
For a while I worked for a small niche service phone company which required me to work every other weekend. I always saw that as a huge perk. When I wasn't busy I surfed the net for coupons, entered sweepstakes, learned all sorts of interesting things on the net, researched plants ...
Did I mention they provided the best Columbian Coffee and a well stocked kitchen - the owner was Columbian and loved his coffee as much as I do.

About two months after I left the company - I received notice that I had won a huge Sony TV, surround sound, DVD, the works, it took me a second to realize this was the result from entering all those sweepstakes on the weekends.

Online surveys and blogging or writing that e-book are all possibilities.   

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
What type of work do you do? Can you take on additional projects at work? What skills can you teach yourself in your downtime? I believe that learning new things and making new connections will be far more valuable than making a couple of bucks here and there online. It may pay better if you work on your own side projects, but I wouldn't recommend it because you run into a gray area legally and ethically. If you're on your employers clock, they may have a claim on whatever you're doing during the downtime.

My first job out of school was like this and it was extremely difficult for me when I first started. One of my co-workers told me, "the hardest part of this job is not dying of boredom." So what did I do? I started reaching out to other departments to determine what problems that they were having so that I might be able to provide some solutions. This did a couple of things for me.

1. It made me the go-to person even though I was new and inexperienced.
2. It forced me to spend all of the time that was usually downtime, learning new things and gaining a ton of new skills

If I didn't do this, I would probably still be with that co-worker, bored and making about the same as we were back then.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!