Author Topic: How to go from full-time to part-time at current company/job?  (Read 1771 times)

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to go from full-time to part-time at current company/job?
« on: January 30, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
I would like to approach my employer about going from f/t to p/t maybe a year from now and don't have a lot of confidence that they are going to go for it. Anyone who has done this, how did you convince your employer? I have been with this company a long time and believe myself to be a valued employee. I am brainstorming things to say that will make it beneficial for them and have come up with some decent points.

Please share your story and any tips you have for getting an employer on board. If there are exisiting threads on this topic, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

J_Stache

• Stubble
Re: How to go from full-time to part-time at current company/job?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
My father recently did this.  He went from full time to 3 days a week.  He would have preferred a week on followed by a week off, but took what could be arranged.  He made this work because if they didn't agree to part time, he planned on retiring (and he is too valuable to the company to lose).  That's the key.  You need to either be so valuable that they'll do anything to keep you. 

One other option exists.  A coworker of mine went from full time to part time and now focuses more on (not simple) data entry.  She took a pay cut and does less day to day work than when she was full time.

I think the key takeaway is to figure out how going part time can add value for your employer.  My dad is worth more to the company 3 days a week than zero days (and has enough experience that cannot be easily replaced).  My coworker focused on necessary operations that we didn't always have time for when a person wasn't dedicated to the task and took a lower salary, which saved the company money.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to go from full-time to part-time at current company/job?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »
Posting to follow.

I'm hoping to do this this year.  My plan, which may or may not work, is to figure out how much I'm worth elsewhere.  I've worked here long enough that my salary has climbed much slower than I would have gotten job hopping a couple times.  So I need to find out what I'd be worth going to another company.  I then plan to say 'I'd like $X raise.  Or... we could keep my pay the same, since I know the budget has been tight, and I'll go to 4 days.'  That's the goal, anyway, we'll see if it happens :-)