Author Topic: How to get the right mindset for Dilbert style job  (Read 2683 times)

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to get the right mindset for Dilbert style job
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »
Hello

I am new to the MMM world and I am finding it fascinating and loving it.  I recently read 'Your Money or Your Life' which really inspired me and then having the inspiration of MMM I realise I need to return to office life.

I am currently working at a school which has been a really nice break from office work, but it isn't paying me anyway near enough.  I need to return to the cubicle (I do web development) but I really really struggle with office jobs and some non-office jobs too...I realise the common factor is ME!  So I was wondering if anyone could help me change my attitude.  I really struggle with the following in jobs:

1.  The sitting at a desk all day.....My last office job I cycled about 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back, would walk an hour at lunchtime, get up for a toilet break, cup of tea as often as possible, but I really struggle with the whole sitting down at a desk for 7/8 hours...it feels like imprisonment, and feels sacrilege on a day when the sun is shining.  I also find I can do most jobs in 5 hours of focused work and a lot of time feels like I'm wasting time.

2. Bosses - I always seem to attract bad bosses, it may be down to a bad experienced where I had work place bullying at one of my first jobs after uni, but I seem to be an over sensitive soul and any sign of stress or aggression from a boss makes me resent doing any work for them and often sees me leaving the job

3. The whole working for someone else and doing what is asked.  When I work for myself on my own projects or freelance projects it feels a lot more fulfilling and I find hours of focused work can pass by where I don't notice.

4. The lack of holidays 25 days a year sucks when my partner is a teacher and gets about 14 weeks off a year.  I love the holidays with the job I currently do at school.

I have tried dabbling in freelance, but find I attract difficult or awkward clients, I need to learn to be assertive.   And I can't seem to make enough money from it at all, people in India and various places seem to be offering web development for peanuts.

I would love to start earning some better money, so please can people advise on how to get over the boredom, the sitting, the politics, the bosses etc etc so I can look for a new job with a more positive mindset.

Thanks in advance
Vicky

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to get the right mindset for Dilbert style job
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
There must be a way to overcome your freelance difficulties. Research how to find better clients and price yourself high due to some unique value proposition or niche.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »
I don't know, dear Vicky, but wanted to say your post resonated for me. I'm apparently FIRE now, so it's no longer an issue, but all those traits...the sensitivity, the gentleness, the drawing other people's poor behaviours (when they might not act like that with other people!), the sense of ack sitting inside, the fact that the only jobs I could manage paid very poorly...

Try as I might, I never did become the bold person I feel the world demands we become. I opted out.

My keys were:

*work online (but with local/regional contracts that paid well)
*luck (but big believer that we need to align ourselves to receive those lucky opportunities)
*diagnosis, with disability supports that came with those

Bunch more stuff from me linked to in my sig line. But, just wanted to say you're not alone, that I for one tried and tried but never learned how to pull that lifestyle off, that I found another path.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
It's only a tiny piece of the puzzle, maybe, but have you considered a standing workstation, or an adjustable one that could have you standing for part of the day, and sitting for the rest?  Even better if you can negotiate a work from home (fully or partially) situation, where, if as you say you can get 7-8 hours of work done in 5-6, no one needs to see the details of that. 

Also, if you're thinking about going back to web development for financial reasons, then this idea may be counter to your goals - but if a big stressor in that idea is the lack of vacation time, then instead of pushing to negotiate a higher salary, why not push on vacation time instead?  You won't get as much as your partner, but you might get a little bit more.  Or try to negotiate earlier start and later end times to work a 4 day week in the summer when your partner is off, so that at least you can have a long weekend every week.   

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:54:14 PM »
WFH and freelancing is the way to go. Unfortunately, you'll probably need to work in a cubicle for a year to generate more opportunities. If you do a good job, you'll be worth a recommendation. Asking for more (unpaid) vacation is also a great idea.

I, too, struggled with this for years, bouncing from corporate life to contract to startup to contract. My last job was part-time, which helped a lot, and I eventually saved enough, like jooniper, to opt out.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:42:48 AM »
Thank you all for the replies.

I was half expecting  harsh, reality-facing, 'zip up your mansuit' mmm style replies, but appreciate your understanding.

I had thought about doing contract work and just not working a month over summers. I think 'stress' plays a big part in my jobs, even in non-stressful, low level jobs, but I've started doing some online training and web stuff to build up my confidence in case I do go back into it.

I think getting more skills in it would help me.

Thanks