Author Topic: How to Get Inexpensive, Fast Internet?  (Read 3613 times)

Zalo

How to Get Inexpensive, Fast Internet?
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
I've now unlocked my phone & will soon hook up my calls & texts through Google Voice/Air Voice Wireless.

My internet is currently paid for by my college, but that won't be the case in a few years. I'm curious, what's a cheap way to get quality internet? I saw that MMM suggests the little device that connects to wifi, or internet sharing through the giant antenna.

Any other tactics?

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
Re: How to Get Inexpensive, Fast Internet?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »
Depending on your definition of fast and cheap, there is none.  Unless you happen to live in Kansas City and get google fiber free plan which has a $300 set up fee.

Some places have cheap DSL but most of the time you have to have a landline phone for that so that isn't cheap.  3mbps isn't fast enough anyway If you're going to forego cable and go with netflix/hulu. Otherwise you can get the triple play for like $80 or $90/month depending on where you live.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:06:35 PM by Jags4186 »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
3Mbps is plenty for streaming video, don't listen to those who say otherwise as they're either HD media snobs or don't understand compression technology.

Zalo, just read the ISP related post in the first seven posts of the Superguide.

VuwylkOnlezzyen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »
It's going to depend on your definition of cheap (and what options are in your area).  I.P.'s guide is a good place to start.

Zalo

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »
3Mbps is plenty for streaming video, don't listen to those who say otherwise as they're either HD media snobs or don't understand compression technology.

Zalo, just read the ISP related post in the first seven posts of the Superguide.

Wow that's a hell of a great guide! I've favorited it; I'll try and read it all later. From what I've read so far, I noticed you wrote that Airvoice Wireless needs a new SIM card.

1. Does that mean that the stock At&t SIM card currently on my phone won't work for Airvoice Wireless?
2. Would the stock SIM card work for Google Voice?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:38 AM »
Wow that's a hell of a great guide! I've favorited it; I'll try and read it all later. From what I've read so far, I noticed you wrote that Airvoice Wireless needs a new SIM card.

1. Does that mean that the stock At&t SIM card currently on my phone won't work for Airvoice Wireless?
2. Would the stock SIM card work for Google Voice?

I do what I can. :)

1) Correct.
2) GV has nothing to do with your cell service or your SIM card beyond forwarding calls/texts to the phone number associated with the account registered to that SIM. The SIM card just tells the cellular network who the phone belongs to for communications routing and what billing account it's attached to.