Author Topic: How to get hold of IRS?!?!?  (Read 3409 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
How to get hold of IRS?!?!?
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
MY tax return was wrongfully given less 400 dollars that what was supposed to be ... I have verified everything and the error they state does not seem to be an error at all.

On the letter, they have given me a number to call for disputes... i've been on the phone for 2.5 hours now and nothing!!

There has to be a better way to get in touch with the IRS no? Any advice?

They claim our 400 dollar credit towards the savers credit is not eligible. Yet, when looking at the sheets, our income falls within the limits to be eligible for the refund. Our tax advisor, the one that did our taxes didnt see anything wrong with it either.

I cannot believe that in a country where there is such technological companies and so forth there is not a better way to file a dispute!!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
Re: How to get hold of IRS?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
Your tax advisor should be taking care of this for you, no?

I have a local tax office in my city...had to pay back taxes. So I would check your government website for the local.

happypup

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
When I had a tax issue last year (sounds like a similar situation, they claimed I owed an amount I didn't actually owe), low-tech worked best --  I sent a letter explaining why exactly their reasoning was wrong, with some documentation to back it up. Took a few weeks, but the next thing I heard from them was another letter basically saying "Oops! You're right, we're wrong, problem resolved."

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
Your tax advisor should be taking care of this for you, no?

I have a local tax office in my city...had to pay back taxes. So I would check your government website for the local.

Yeah she should but its been 5 weeks now and she hasn't done anything yet or heard back even though ive been trying to get a hold of her... Definitely will be losing our business. I was perfectly capable of doing my own taxes but, given that I had only move to the US recently I didnt want to take a chance.

happypup, I will try that approach.

We were supposed to get 6519 dollars and only got 6119 saying our 400 dollar savers credit was not eligible when it is. - so what you did was just a normal cover letter explaining your reasonings and data to back it up? No need to fill out a specific type of form?

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »
We were supposed to get 6519 dollars and only got 6119 saying our 400 dollar savers credit was not eligible when it is.

Holy cow, you need to update your W-4 withholding form ASAP!  I've never gotten such a big refund in my entire life, and I've had years with combined income up in the $140k range when I was married.  You want to be withholding only slightly more than you project that you'll owe.  For most people, you want the refund to be down in the $500-1000 range so that you have more money in your bank account during the year instead of waiting until the next year to get a refund to be able to use it.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »
We were supposed to get 6519 dollars and only got 6119 saying our 400 dollar savers credit was not eligible when it is.
Holy cow, you need to update your W-4 withholding form ASAP!
My first thought also.  But...maybe, maybe not: if the US income was only for the last 3 months of 2014, the withholding rate it might be fine for 2015.  Also, if form 2555 had to be filed, the Modified AGI might indeed cause ineligibility for the saver's credit.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »

Holy cow, you need to update your W-4 withholding form ASAP!  I've never gotten such a big refund in my entire life, and I've had years with combined income up in the $140k range when I was married.  You want to be withholding only slightly more than you project that you'll owe.  For most people, you want the refund to be down in the $500-1000 range so that you have more money in your bank account during the year instead of waiting until the next year to get a refund to be able to use it.

yup all of that was taken care of.

I moved to the US end of last year, and in April I had both my wife and I max out our tIRAs and because I didnt have much income in US and we were married, she got that big refund due to that - our marriage, the fact we maxed our IRAs and so forth.

In April I did an adjustment of our W4 forms in accordance with our investments so next year most likely we wont receive anything or barely anything.

I know all about the income in our side... I am in Finance and used to work for a hedge fund :)

We didnt file any 2555. Our tax was really simple. Only a 1040 and a 8880 form to go with it.