Author Topic: How to get early access to saved money  (Read 3665 times)

sheepgetlambs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to get early access to saved money
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:30:42 PM »
Our retirement savings are largely in Roth IRAs and 401ks. We recently realized that we might have trouble accessing that money when we RE because we won't be anywhere near the various minimum age requirements? Should we be stashing our money somewhere else the remaining years until FIRE? I find it frustrating to look at our growing stash and realize we won't be able to access it for the early years of ER, and when we finally can access it, it will be more than we need for the estimated remaining years of our lives.

Any suggestions from the Mustachians out there?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: How to get early access to saved money
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
You can access it early - google Roth Pipeline, for one.

sheepgetlambs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:08:45 PM »
Thanks. I googled it and will read even more when I'm not tired. My goal, of course, is to be able to access our retirement stash without paying an early withdrawal penalty. I'll share Roth Pipeline with DH and we'll both read up on it. Thanks again.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 05:19:26 AM »
One thing I found out from my financial advisor is the gov't tracks your principal in a roth by what you claim on your tax return. I always skipped that with the mindset "i don't pay taxes on this, so why would I fill it out on my tax form?" Oops. I now have to file some sort of form to put my roth principal on the books. Luckily, I'm a few years out from needing it.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
Thanks. I googled it and will read even more when I'm not tired. My goal, of course, is to be able to access our retirement stash without paying an early withdrawal penalty. I'll share Roth Pipeline with DH and we'll both read up on it. Thanks again.
Here's an excruciatingly detailed summary on what to do and how to do it:
http://the-military-guide.com/2014/03/20/early-withdrawals-from-your-tsp-and-ira-after-the-military/

If you don't have a TSP then substitute the acronym "401(k)".

I now have to file some sort of form to put my roth principal on the books.
I don't understand what type of form you're describing.  Can you give more info or a link?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »
I now have to file some sort of form to put my roth principal on the books.
I don't understand what type of form you're describing.  Can you give more info or a link?

Is it perhaps called a 1040X?  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.