Author Topic: How to get compensated for an incompetent tire shop?  (Read 3444 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
How to get compensated for an incompetent tire shop?
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
I had tires put on about two years ago. At the same time I had a different set of rims put on and tpms sensors swapped from my original rims (these are the original banded style of tpms sensor and not the valve stem type). After a few thousand miles I had constant noise issues from tires that are rated very well as being quiet. They were back in the shop a few times for re-balancing which didn't seem to help. Sometimes the noise was bearable, other times it would aggravate my tinnitus to where I had to wear ear plugs while driving for any real distance on the highway. Fast forward 40k miles and I got a new set of tires in preparation for a trip over the mountains in a few weeks. The shop found a lot of things the other shop did wrong. I had all four tpms sensors loose and migrated from 180 degrees from the valve stem to all the way to the valve stems because all four bands were loose, one almost to the point where it came off the rim. One band wasn't even trimmed and had about six inches of material hanging and the front left tire had a piece of valve stem rolling around inside of it. Given that I wasn't able to enjoy my vehicle for the life of the tires I feel that at the bare minimum I am owed at least a full set of tires at some point in the future, if not more since I endured roughly 1000 hours of all four tires being imbalanced that aggravated a medical issue and caused a lot of duress. I would like your thoughts on this.

Blatant

• Stubble
Re: How to get compensated for an incompetent tire shop?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »
My thought? Be happy that the problem is resolved and move on with your life.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »
My thought? Be happy that the problem is resolved and move on with your life.

+1

This wasn't endangering your life. I think before I wore earplugs to drive my car, I would have taken it to a different shop at the time it happened and gotten a second opinion/fixed.

It was annoying and frustrating and shouldn't have happened, but it is so long past now, it isn't something that would be worth suing over in my opinion. Give them a scathing review online and move on.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 01:43:49 AM »
If the tire shop messed up that badly, why would you go back there? Would a free set of tires, put on improperly again, be worth it?

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
I didn't say they would be installing them. I could take said set where I wanted.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
I didn't say they would be installing them. I could take said set where I wanted.

And the original tire shop would pay for installation....  and your driving time (and mileage) to and from... and publish an apology in the local newspaper of record... and provide you with a substantial Amazon gift card... and free car washes for life... and the puppy of your choice... or was that pony?

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
First off go fuck yourself and I've never felt the need to swear at anyone on here. Second off the incompetence caused a severe safety hazard as well because it affected the handling and they couldn't figure it out after multiple attempts.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »
I also just found out today while driving that the front brakes they did were done by a trained monkey who lubed the brake assembly incorrectly. Now I also have to have them handle the fact that there is a huge groove on the inside of my right front rotor and the inner pad is junk. I spent a few hours I'll never get back tearing both them apart to get to the cause of the issues.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 05:44:56 PM »
StartingEarly, I recommend you consult with a lawyer rather than post to this forum. You may be able to take advantage of a free consultation to determine whether this matter is worth pursuing. If, after receiving legal advice, you decide that the matter is worth pursuing, the lawyer may be able to draft for you a letter asking for compensation, or take other steps as are determined to be appropriate.

This forum is unfortunately chronically unsympathetic to people who ask whether they should receive compensation for something. There have been a lot of threads where respondents belittle the original poster for even asking whether something warrants compensation, even though those respondents have not analysed the legal merits of the situation at all. You may want to skip the forum and just consult with a lawyer directly.

(To be clear, I offer no view on your specific circumstances. I'm just saying this forum is rarely helpful on this kind of topic.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:50:33 PM by Cathy »

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
I usually give people the chance to do the right thing. They're a well known business and I'm sure they don't want it well known that someone working on many vehicles in incompetent to the point of causing a public danger.

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 06:29:46 PM »
Then just go handle your business rather than spending time posting on the Internet about it. You've wasted this much time, why not waste some more?

Cathy's posts, on the other hand, are always the best. She should really just cut and paste her responses to save time.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »
I don't view asking for someone else's way to talk to the shop as a waste of time. I view you going out of your way to be rude to be a great example of a waste of a life.