Author Topic: How to get bike fit?  (Read 14032 times)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
How to get bike fit?
« on: August 21, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »
Hi all, I have bike (secondhand hybrid), I have time (3 consecutive mornings plus weekend time) but I do not have fitness. I'm a 39 year old fulltime mum carrying 10kg extra weight, living in very hilly Wellington, New Zealand. I'd love an electric bike but the $2.5k is probably better going to build our money machine. So, any tips. There is an enormous steep hill between me and the city and I really need to master it to be able to use my bike for errands. Should I just go up and down until I can do it? Or other ideas? I'm hoping the investment of time in bike practice will pay off in less car use, weight loss and fitness and a happier me.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
Re: How to get bike fit?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
The only way to do it, is to do it.

Start riding. It's going to be horrid at first, but that will pass. Before you know it, the 10kg will be a memory and the hill will be no problem.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:46:26 AM by PFHC »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
Thanks PFHC!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »
Thanks PFHC!
No problem! You've got this.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:26:39 PM »
Yeah, you'll get used to it soon after some sore muscles! I might suggest finding a flatter route, even if it takes you out of your way.  Hills can be scary; oftentimes cars will be going too fast and only see you at the last moment.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:31:54 PM »
The big hill that I want to conquer will take 5 mins to descend and probably 20 mins to ascend (with stops to vomit on the way). I also live in a street with a killer hill (like 40degrees). I'm thinking if I have a smaller window of time, even a blast up my street will help condition me.A friend has mentioned the HIIT approach to training so will do some more reading on that. My ultimate goal is the supermarket run and landfill shop run both of which have alternating up and down hills.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
The big hill that I want to conquer will take 5 mins to descend and probably 20 mins to ascend (with stops to vomit on the way). I also live in a street with a killer hill (like 40degrees). I'm thinking if I have a smaller window of time, even a blast up my street will help condition me.A friend has mentioned the HIIT approach to training so will do some more reading on that. My ultimate goal is the supermarket run and landfill shop run both of which have alternating up and down hills.
Ha! Vomit stops are part of the process. :)

HIIT is amazing. You can do it with anything. Running, sit ups, jumping jacks, biking, lifting weights, whatever. Honestly, anything works to get you in better shape when you're starting from ground zero, but, research indicates the most efficient way to get there is with HIIT. Plus, it helps to assuage the drudgery of doing cardio for an hour at time.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »
You mentioned you have a hybrid bike, which I interpret as mediocre as both a road bike and a mountain bike (correct me if you mean part electric or something else). I'm not advocating that you spend a bunch of money on a road bike, just to cut yourself some slack. These are often much heavier and slower than road bikes on paved roads, so if you can do it, you're twice the bada$$ you'd be on a road bike! You've got this!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »
It is true my bike is mediocre at best. But it was cheap. I have a long history of overspending on hobbies then not sticking with it. I am worried an electric bike could a repeat of that pattern. And an electric bike won't deal to the fat quite as efficiently. So I'm opting for a bit of voluntary discomfort to get myself fit, then I can bathe in the goatsmilk of electric bike ease and comfort.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
It is true my bike is mediocre at best. But it was cheap.
You have made an excellent, very Mustachian choice. You can get just as fit on an old clunker as you can on a zillion dollar carbon fiber road bike.

then I can bathe in the goatsmilk of electric bike ease and comfort.
Sounds like heaven in some sort of religion I wish I could be a part of.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:54:15 PM »
I'm in the same boat, KiwiSonya!

A big hill is all that stands between me and daily drop ins at the local marketplace.

kenaces

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 12:22:54 AM »
You just have to put in the miles to improve your "bike fitness".  Nothing wrong with walking up a few hills at the start.

Bike will help with weightloss but only if you moderate your diet

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:28:26 AM »
I'm in the same boat, KiwiSonya!

A big hill is all that stands between me and daily drop ins at the local marketplace.

Thanks for stopping by 1967mama. I haven't been on here much since I stopped Whole30. Lovely to hear from you. When I conquer the hill I will share my secrets with you!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:10 AM »
Hills? Just take it really really slow. Lowest gear on nearly every bike can get up pretty much anything if you are prepared to go below walking pace.

I've looked ridiculous some times before going so slow, but it's a wonderful feeling when you conquer a big hill :D

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
Insanely steep hills can be more easily climbed in the easiest gear if one zig zags up the hill. The steeper the incline, the more exaggerated the zig-zagging required to take the edge off. Kind of like the opposite of what DH skiiers do.

Those looking to blow up anaerobically can just straight line it up!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
Just about any bike can climb just about any hill.  It's really a matter of tuning the engine so that it's running properly and the wheezing/grumbling noises stop.

Hang in there, you'll crush that hill eventually.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »
I live in Seattle, I feel your pain with the hills, you've been steered correctly. You just gotta do it. It will hurt and suck and you may need to get off and push but the first time you don't and you soar over that crest of a hill you will be ELATED! Stick to it and keep trying. You will get stronger quickly and conquer that hill in no time!

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
When I started biking years ago, I felt my fitness level improve pretty quickly. I think it's because biking is fun and you know you are being all awesome for going to get groceries on your bike so you don't realize how hard you're working. Suddenly, you're in better shape! Someone else said there's nothing wrong with walking up hills, and I would second that. It's still exercise!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »
Someone else said there's nothing wrong with walking up hills

If you let one hill win all the other hills will gang up on you and bully you forever.  You have to stand up to those bastards!

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
Like anything else, you get fit in baby steps.  Consistent baby steps.

With hills, over time you will become more skilled at using gears and momentum.

For now, just remember when climbing hills use as low of a gear as you need and PACE YOURSELF.
If you sense your heart rate is increasing too much, slow down and maybe gear down.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »
I DID IT! Ok, I got off my bike eight times to recover and regain my composure. But I still road that damn hill all the way. 8 mins to the bottom, and 23 up. My legs are like jelly and my face is beetrootesque but I'm feeling great. Cars and trucks gave me a wide berth (I suspect a few wobbles made them nervous.) I even got a bunch of greetings from fellow cyclists which made me feel good. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
Congrats, KiwiSonya.

Fwiw:  You'll likely be sore in a couple days, but it will wear off.  After 20 rides or so, even the tough challenge of this ride will become routine for your body. You might sweat, but you won't feel wiped out the rest of the day.  The tough part is raising your fitness level; maintaining it later will be much easier.  You've started investing in yourself, physically!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »
Cross training will also make you a better biker. Both boxing and powerlifting really boosted my biking power and endurance. Doesn't have to be formal gym stuff, either. Do some ass-to-grass squats to build your lower back, quads and glutes, and stretch out your calves. Keep it up for 6 weeks, and you'll really notice a difference.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
Thanks Bicycle-B and Sailor Sam. It's helpful to have a timeframe to work on. Is rest that important or shall I just do as much as I can? Weirdly, I love squats and have often just rocked a few when cold, bored or feeling flabby. I was blessed/cursed with my dad's muscly thighs and calves and have done heavy weights in the distant past so I know that strength won't be a problem.  Cardio fitness is my weakness.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 05:36:46 PM »
I DID IT! Ok, I got off my bike eight times to recover and regain my composure. But I still road that damn hill all the way. 8 mins to the bottom, and 23 up. My legs are like jelly and my face is beetrootesque but I'm feeling great. Cars and trucks gave me a wide berth (I suspect a few wobbles made them nervous.) I even got a bunch of greetings from fellow cyclists which made me feel good. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Woo-hoo! Well done!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »
I feel so proud for you, KiwiSonya, for tackling that hill!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
WAY TO GO! You bad ass. :)

Ditto on the soreness. You will be sore tomorrow. Want to know the best way to get rid of the soreness? More exercise. Be sure to stretch tonight, do a light stretch before you bike again, tomorrow, and take it easy. Rest more times, listen to your body. Listening to your body is very important here at the beginning because your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints are not conditioned to the work and you could easily hurt yourself.

Today is the first step on your road to a way better life! I lost 40 lbs 8 years ago over the course of about 18 months. Best damn thing that ever happened to me, honestly. My life is immeasurably better. Keep it up!!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
Thanks for the support and advice guys. I have been feeling pretty tired and I know I'm going to hurt tomorrow. Your recovery advice is appreciated. I can't wait to get out there again. I thought as a motivator I will put $10 in a savings acc for each ride I do that I will put towards the electric bike. Will build fitness and get me into the bike habit while building in some delayed gratification and discipline that I also need to work on.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 08:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the support and advice guys. I have been feeling pretty tired and I know I'm going to hurt tomorrow. Your recovery advice is appreciated. I can't wait to get out there again. I thought as a motivator I will put $10 in a savings acc for each ride I do that I will put towards the electric bike. Will build fitness and get me into the bike habit while building in some delayed gratification and discipline that I also need to work on.
You are cool. :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 12:34:47 AM »
So so so awesome that you did this Kiwisonya! I would love to be able to post that I tried to do my hill too. Maybe in a week or so when it's not so hot here:-) I keep thinking about doing it ever since you started this thread ... And now you've done it!! Bravo!!!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 01:00:36 AM »
So so so awesome that you did this Kiwisonya! I would love to be able to post that I tried to do my hill too. Maybe in a week or so when it's not so hot here:-) I keep thinking about doing it ever since you started this thread ... And now you've done it!! Bravo!!!
The best time to start is yesterday. The second best time is right now. The worst time is tomorrow.

Don't sabotage your efforts. It's never going to be the perfect time, there will always be a reason to not go.

The days you make the most progress are the days you least want to go.

You can do it 1967mama! Get out there and be the change you want to see!!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 02:13:28 AM »
Do it for five days a week for two weeks.

By week three I doubt you'll even be getting of your bike.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2016, 02:43:04 AM »
Thanks PFHC, 1967mama and Gooki.  I have been feeling great all day so I'm sure this is going to be addictive.  I even mentioned it to a few friends and they were amazed and gushing - you'd have thought I'd just run a marathon.  I also feel not just physically good but in a better mood, which is an unexpected bonus. I think I will keep posting my progress to keep me honest. Watch this space!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 04:44:05 AM »
Standing by anxiously awaiting your posts!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »
Is rest that important or shall I just do as much as I can?

When you're starting a new exercise and are a little out of shape, you usually aren't physically capable of pushing your body hard enough to require days off.  You can make more progress by doing it every day because your body needs stimulation to build strength, and it's able to make a full recovery overnight.

Once you're in decent shape you'll find that rest becomes more important and if you skip it you'll start to feel miserable and get sick.  The best way to determine if you're getting into this danger zone that I'm aware of is to measure your resting heart rate each morning and record it.  If you notice that your resting heart rate is much higher than usual (10ish bpm higher) then that's a good sign that you should take it easy for a few days.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »
Thanks GuitarStv, that's great info to have. I feel like there is a huge amount of misinformation out there about exercise. I can think of a few obese walkers who take rest days thinking their bodies need it. Will try the resting heart rate thing. Woke this morning feeling awesome - slept like the dead and muscles feel awake but not sore. We are in late winter here but woke early and realised that it is now light by 6.30am so could fit in my ride before the rest of the house is awake. Will give that a go tomorrow. But for today I will get the kids off to school and kindy then tackle that hill again. I'm going to aim for 6 stops rather than 8.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
Bugger, sometimes life just gets in the way of your plans. I've been called in to help at kindy as someone's sick. But I was so looking forward to my ride that I decided to change plans. Everyone was still asleep so I snuck out and did 15 mins biking up and down my street. I live on a serious hill and needed to zig zag in the lowest gear but I got all the way to the top then coasted to the bottom then repeated. My son wants to see me ride so will do a repeat in the afternoon and he can watch from the trampoline. Disappointed that I didn't get to tackle the hill but pretty pleased with my workaround. There is literally no excuse not to get a ride in every day if I can do it outside my front gate. WIN!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »
The best time to start is yesterday. The second best time is right now. The worst time is tomorrow.

Don't sabotage your efforts. It's never going to be the perfect time, there will always be a reason to not go.

The days you make the most progress are the days you least want to go.

You can do it 1967mama! Get out there and be the change you want to see!!

Thanks for this .. very kind and encouraging! Kiwi! You are doing so great ... I don't think my hill is as long as yours, but is quite steep. We are expecting 2 very hot days, so I may wait (excuses, I know, but I think I would actually faint). But then, I hope to join you, Kiwi!

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
Good job, keep it up.

To be honest hills are the most fun for me - although I am talking about easy hills.
I have a small hill on my commute - I manage it with greater speed than the flat.
It is like the hill provokes me to show what I can do.
When I get on the top I slow down - I showed it I can :).

The most interesting small hills were two streets so steep that I felt my front wheel come up - I had to bend forward to keep that from happening.
And on a hybrid bike bending forward is not the best position to be able to climb a hill.

So,. continue with this and you will feel the desire to do longer rides and search for more provoking hills.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 01:37:51 AM »
Thanks 1967mama, I look forward to you joining me. Is funny to imagine you fainting in the heat while I'm shivering in winter. Luckily we have mild winters - no snow or ice so I can bike year round.
Tester, I look forward to relishing hills as I am surrounded by them. I actually have some (allegedly) awesome mountain bike tracks in my neighbourhood but I have never been bold enough to venture onto them. As soon as my fitness improves that will be another option. My front wheel did lift a bit this morning - I thought I just needed to shift my weight to be better balanced - still managed to stay on. I have also been scooting to school with my kids up and down the hills and think that helps with leg strength, balance and bravery!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »

Yay,, great work!!!

I really wanted to get better at biking, but the hills were killer.  I had such a hard time on them, and once I was off, I was off- I can't get back on a bike that is stopped to go uphill (on steeper hills).  Even if I put one pedal in the prime position for a downward "stroke" I won't have enough momentum to get the next stroke in.  What's the secret?

I also think part of my problem is that I'm really inefficient at shifting... IDK when I should do it, feel like I do it too soon or too late.  IDK.  I guess I just need practice...

And you know what, I feel like I'm in decent shape, so I feel like I should be able to do it, but I find it so difficult!.  I do like to lift weights 2-3 times a week (actually think I'm quite strong for my size!), could run a 5K tomorrow w/o training, and I am not overweight.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:42:24 AM by catccc »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 01:26:34 PM »
Hi Catccc, I'm hoping one of the experienced riders can answer your questions - because I can't. I did find doing a really exaggerated zigzag helped because the wheel was facing across the slope not straight up. There was one section that was so steep and not safe to zigzag as it was so a blind corner so I just walked my bike a little bit until the slope flattened out.
Day 3, 7.15am and I've already done my ride for today. Hubby needed to leave early for work but I still squeezed a 25 min ride in. This time I went in a different direction - a very long gentle slope down and a long grind home. Riding everyday is awesome because I feel like I am learning faster. I'm getting better at using my gears and finding that there are few hills too steep if I drop down the gears. Was so lovely to watch day break and listen to the birds while I rode. A truly wonderful way to start the day.
I'd like to read some more - are there books or blogs on biking that anyone can recomend for a newbie?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
I also have trouble with shifting gears and knowing when to use what gear. I'm mildly dyslexic and so I have trouble remember which numbers make it easier to pedal and which numbers make it harder to pedal. I have a 21 gear bike. So the left side handle has 1.2.3 and the right side handle has 1.2.3.4.5.6.7. Can anyone explain it like I'm 5? Thanks so much for starting this thread, Kiwisonya - hope I'm not hijacking here! I reeeeeally want to become a bike rider.

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »
OK. Practice makes perfect with gearing on bikes, but I put this together hoping it will help.

Shifting Gears for DummiesTM

The gears are numbered like this (I also attached it in case it would be helpful to download):

You just simply multiply the front number by the back and that is what gear you are in. 1 in front and 1 in back? That's 1, the easiest gear. 2 in front and 3 in back (or 2-3)? That 6, a nice cruising gear. 3-7? That's 21, the hardest gear, good for nothing but trying to reach warp speed.

Lower gear = easier gears = slow speed, lots of strength. Great for hills.
Higher gears = harder gears = high speed, less strength. Better for cruising and down hills.

Shifters
The left one always does the front gears, the right the back gears.

How to use your shifters depends on what type they are:

Thumb: Like the name says, you use your thumb.

Pushing either shifter towards the front of the bike, pushes the chain to a bigger gear.

If you refer to the drawing of the gears, that means if you push the left shifter forward, you go into a harder gear. For instance, if you are in 2-6, or gear 12, and you shift up into 3-6, you are in 18. If you push the right shifter forward, you are in an easier gear. 2-3 (6) become 2-2 (4).

The opposite goes for if you pull the shifter towards you. Left makes things easier, right harder. Left goes from 3-3 (9) to 2-3 (6), much easier. Right goes from 2-4 (8) to 2-5 (10). You just got to a harder gear.

Grip shifters: They are part of the grip and you twist them to change gears.

Twisting either shifter away from you pushes the chain to a bigger gear.

Same as above, that means if you twist the left away, you go to a harder gear. If you twist the right away, you go to an easier gear.
If you twist the left towards you, you go to an easier gear. If you twist the right towards you, you go to a harder gear.

Click shifters: You shift by pushing one of the levers one single "click".

The lever on the front side of the handlebars, which you would function with your thumb, moves the chain to a bigger gear. The lever on the backside, which you function with your index finger, moves the chain to a smaller gear.

Same goes for the two above. Click the thumb lever on the left hand, harder gear; thumb on right, easier. Index on left, easier; index on right, harder.

Those are the main types of shifters. If your chain won't stay in gear when you shift, then take your bike to someone who is handy with working on them. It is usually a quick fix. I would not recommend a bike shop unless you don't know anyone who bikes. A "tune up" from the shop will run you $50 - $100. A handy person can do that work for a beer and 10 minutes time.

This may seem overwhelming, but most shifters are numbered. If you just remember to multiply the numbers and lower = easier, higher = harder, you will pick it up sooner or later. If you spend a few minutes every day just messing around with shifting through the gears, you'll get it before long.

OK. Happy biking!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:07:22 PM by PFHC »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
That is so awesome, PFHC. Thanks so much for teaching us. I really appreciate the effort you put in there. It makes sense!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
I DID IT!!!!  2 stops to catch my breath and then kept going!! Yayayaya! Thanks for the motivation everyone. I've been wanting to do that for 2 years!!!

This is what I rode:

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2016, 09:52:34 PM »
I DID IT!!!!  2 stops to catch my breath and then kept going!! Yayayaya! Thanks for the motivation everyone. I've been wanting to do that for 2 years!!!

This is what I rode:
You are doubly badass! Both for doing it AND for doing it on a bike with a basket! You rock!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »
Awesome, 1967mama. I'm so proud of you!!! And only 2 stops. You definitely win today's badassity award!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2016, 11:48:50 PM »
PFHC .... thank you so much for the amazing explanation of gears! I think for so many (my husband included), gear shifting becomes instinctual and so even tonight, he was unable to explain it to me :-/ I'm going to reread what you've written in the morning when I'm more awake! haha!

I have to admit, I definitely felt pretty badass out there, even with my basket!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 02:31:58 AM »
Well done 1967.

My pro tip for y'all, you don't have to push down on the pedals. Well you do a little, but the best technique is to push forwards and slightly down. It's easier to keep your legs rotating faster this way and it takes less effort when mastered.

I found it particularly helpful when I last climbed a hill.