Author Topic: How to find satisfying part time work that meets current expenses?  (Read 5097 times)

Icaro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello folks! I think I'm at a point where I can comfortably semi-retire, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I'm sure there are others in the forum who might be facing similar situations.

I've had an online business for many years in the buying and selling of goods. (The types of goods have changed over the years, -- estate merchandise, used books, imported consumer electronics, event tickets) -- Never at significant scale. At this point, after a little over 10 years of doing this kind of work, I have about $275k accumulated (MY earnings have been great at times, but I haven't always been a mustachian, and spent rather a lot up until about 5 years ago). I earn about $100k / yr at present, but find the work very uninspiring and draining at this point.

I'm in my early 30s, and pretty comfortable after using firecalc that if I could find something to do for 12 years or so to meet current expenses ($26k / yr or so for myself as a single person -- largely because I am picking up some expensive hobbies such as metalworking and robotics), the compounding of my stache would do the heavy lifting for me and carry me through old age. I have no desire to continue in the type of work I've been doing, and would love to wind down my business -- but would like to figure out how I can apply the unorthodox experience and skillset that I have to something that will make $30k or so with the minimum amount of time invested. I do have a BS in accounting and finance, though I've never worked a day in my life for someone other than myself.

How have other people already in semi-retirement approached similar situations? Thanks in advance for any advice :-)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:00:49 PM by Icaro »

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to find satisfying part time work that meets current expenses?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
A couple of immediate ideas:
-consulting: advising other people who want to do what you've been doing
-writing (ebooks about things you've learned in that space)
-if you have a BS in accounting/finance you could do part-time/independent contractor work in that area (bookkeeping, payroll, etc.) or overflow work
-finding a new area you find interesting but that presents income generating opportunities

sockmunkee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 03:17:28 PM »
Do you have a college nearby?  Sounds like you have a pretty unique story and if you are comfortable doing so, you might make a good guest lecturer or adjunct professor for a nearby business school (for their entrepreneurship program).

(I for one would love to hear more details on what you are doing for your business and how you got it to that point.)

prosaic

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
A different spin on the nearby college/university idea: go to http://higheredjobs.com and nose around there. Search for part-time jobs in your area for a few weeks/months and get a feel for what crops up.

LOTS of procurement/AP/AR/financial aid/development/grant financial manager-coordinator jobs are at colleges. And MANY of them offer full benefits even if you work 50% time (mine does). I work less than full-time and get all the same benefits of full timers with two exceptions (only 50% tuition remission vs. 100% and some minor insurance -- I DO get full medical/dental/vision/LTD/life/STD, though, at the same rate as full timers).

It can take time to find the right fit, but if you can give yourself 6-12 months to search, you might find the exact right job. Hiring cycles for this sort of administrative/financial job tend to focus on June/July, after budgets have been hammered out and new fiscal years start (July 1), but before classes begin in late August/early September (so you can be hired and trained before the flood of students comes in).

That doesn't mean jobs don't come up year round, though.

Icaro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I don't feel particularly qualified to teach, write or consult, as I've been a one man show, and haven't built a scalable business or anything --  (and suspect that it's a difficult path to financial sustainability at the level I was suggesting doing so in such a niche area.) In any case, I appreciate the ideas so far. I am in a major city and near many universities, so looking at application of skills in financial aid / development / grant-writing might be a great avenue to pursue.

kelly1mm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »
How about preparing taxes?  That would be full time + for 3.5 months per year (Jan-April) and the rest of the year off.  If you got your CPA license or an EA you could also work remotely from home for tax software companies giving tax advice via phone/chat.  (This is what I do ...... usually in pajamas!)  Can be pretty lucrative at the CPA/EA level (30k is doable per year for 3.5 months work).  Even working at H+R block or something to get some experience will pay 10kish to start if you are good. 

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »
What if you just latch on to something you love to do, become an expert, then turn that into consulting, teaching, somehow making money off it?

In your case, metalworking and robotics. There are ton of folks out there who would love to build their own X. If you have a CNC, you can coach them through the design and implementation process. They can rent your time and mill.

Or, you can do small-time metal working. From what MMM has said, if you weld, people will find you. You can make custom handrails, neat wall thingies. Just looking at the DIY subreddit makes me want to learn metalworking most days.

I think the key is finding work that would not entail a long-term commitment. You get less "guaranteed" money that way, but you're also not stuck with those responsibilities when you need to take a break.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

Or, you can do small-time metal working. From what MMM has said, if you weld, people will find you. You can make custom handrails, neat wall thingies.

Look at etsy for handmade wall stuff. Personally, I love hand made iron crosses that you hang on the wall. Or those sunburst mirrors. You could sell your handmade items there. Just a thought. I'd buy a wall cross from you. :)

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 06:19:35 AM »
Of course, this is running with the craft thing, but many of the things on Etsy that are worth buying are worth buying because they require more than one skill. For instance, if you can make a paracord "survival" bracelet and do some basic blacksmithing, you could make custom closures that would be different from the standard utilitarian side release buckles. Meaning you could charge more.

In other words, basic skills in a lot of areas are your friends when you're selling crafts. Of course, you have to make them flawlessly, but that's part of the fun.