Author Topic: How to find a Job without knowing what you want  (Read 5333 times)

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
How to find a Job without knowing what you want
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
So self explanatory, but in need of some deep advice.

I've got two years left to go on Oahu, Hawaii.  I've lived here for the last 2 years for military, and will soon be getting out of the Army after a 6 year contract.

This will probably be the biggest step in my life where I have no ties left back to my home state on the East coast except for family, and I will be virtually debt free.

The problem I have everyday is "What will I do for my next job?"

I've considered going to a career counselor. I'm afraid of going to see an Army career counselor because I'm not sure if my base's education center is any good.  I'm not sure if I should pay for one in order to get clarity on my next goals.  I don't know if there are any career aptitude tests I should take or things of the sort to get me focused on something.

Truth is, I've always been a very flexible person and I've also been that guy in school who get's A's on every subject (barring science, lol).  I can practically do any job and I've got a lot of doors opening to me after military with my skills in Korean/Japanese language, combat training, and other things.  However, though there are doors I don't see them right now.  I need help finding a job so I can begin the next phase of becoming "F.I.R.E'd" the Mustachian way.

Can anyone give me advice on this matter? Who should I talk to?  What options are out there? 

I know the common answer of "Google" it, and trust me I've done that.  I just need help moreso on what to do to find the next job.

As far as my goals and dreams are concerned, I would like to live on Oahu, despite it being expensive in some ways, but I can manage that.  If not, then Washington, California, or maybe even Japan. 

Thank you again for any advice given as always.

trashmanz

• Bristles
Re: How to find a Job without knowing what you want
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »
Even if the base counselor is no good how do you know if you don't try and what is the downside?

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »
Make this a fun experience. Document the things that appeal to you in your journey, including the parts you like and dislike. Get input from people who know you well to find your strengths (excluding stuff is important). This can help you learn if you like human interaction in your job, or you'd rather crunch numbers. Remember that if along the way you find you like something else, that can always become a FIRE activity.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »
I know many former military who are doing the same (or similar)  job except as contractors.  This would keep you in the locale you want (Oahu) but with better pay. 

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 04:23:16 PM »
I would go to the base counselor and ask for the Cops, Caps, Copes batteries. It will show you where you have an aptitude, interest and work values and then will give you sample jobs in each area to explore. It will be a good start.

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
Wow that's some pretty good advice on the tests.  Thank you, I'll definitely check into that.

I'm not wholly turned off by the on base career counselor, but I will check into it still so that I can exhaust all options and see what my best pathway is.

So at what ages did you all find your jobs?  What jobs paid off for you?

And where do you think I can find an all around knowledgeable source to find jobs which pay more than I make now on my military salary?

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
If you want to use your Japanese skills, I recommend visiting a Pasona or other Japanese recruiting agency in your area.

I was in a similar situation to you in California in 2006. The local Pasona lined up several interviews with Japanese companies in the area; there was far more work for someone like me than I had imagined. I picked one. It didn't last long, but it was more on me than on the company or the recruiter. They did their part, and I think they did it well.

You could also move to Japan or South Korea and teach English just to get a foot in the door. The pay and conditions are not great, but such a job gets you into the country where most work related to those languages and cultures originates. Discoveries abound on and off the clock.

Good luck!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
I was a career counselor for a long time and have a graduate degree in that area. Every state has online information about jobs, salaries, education needed, etc. I don't know what it is for Hawaii but for example in Nevda it is called Nevada Career Information System and it is updated every 6 months.  It also will give you related jobs to the one you are looking at so it may come up with  jobs you have not thought of.  I would try googling that with Hawaii instead of Nevada or other states you are considering.

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »
Also another question:  I have the GI bill to use towards my education.  If anyone in here could go back and study something towards a new career, what would you do?

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
So at what ages did you all find your jobs?  What jobs paid off for you?

And where do you think I can find an all around knowledgeable source to find jobs which pay more than I make now on my military salary?

I was 23 when I got the job through the Japanese recruiter, and 23 when I quit that job. Went to the recruiter/took the job not knowing what I wanted, and figured it out pretty quickly once on that job. Very valuable experience for me.

Taught a bit, spent some time in the entertainment industry, and knocked around until I discovered Japanese-English translation. Or, rather, it discovered me. There is plenty of work in that language pair.

If you have strong Japanese and/or Korean comprehension, solid English writing skills and topical knowledge and experience, you can make a good living as a J-E or K-E translator. Most of the information you find online about translating focuses on Spanish-English and other very common language pairs. Translators are many, and competition is fierce. J-E and K-E are still pretty rare, and since the need for translation comes from highly advanced nations, the rates are as good as you'll find. Barriers to attaining proficiency in those languages and to entering the field are falling lower by the day, but I see no reason why you can't get in, make your money and get out if you start from an advanced position now.

Not a fan of the writing, but have a golden tongue? I suggest interpreting. Even better money than translation, but wicked hard to pull off well.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »
Think about what parts of your current job you like/dislike.  It could be as simple as "I don't like interacting with people all day."  If that's true for you, you can safely avoid high human contact jobs, e.g. sales jobs, teaching, etc. 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 09:28:41 AM »
+1 on checking federal government jobs.  They often include a cost of living bonus.  Also, once in the federal system it is easy to transfer to another locale if you get tired if
Hawaii.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
I was in a similar position coming out of college.  I went to my schools job board and applied to everything that looked interesting and fulfilled some basic pay qualifications and took literally the first offer I got.  The jobs I applied for were completely disparate, from museum/library work to teaching, to IT, just all over the place.  No harm in just seeing what happens.

ReluctantMillennial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »
Also another question:  I have the GI bill to use towards my education.  If anyone in here could go back and study something towards a new career, what would you do?

I'm not sure what all your interests are besides language, though you did say maybe not so hot on science.  So this may not be right for you.  But I didn't see an answer to this question yet.  I work in big pharma but if I had it to do over, I'd take one of two tracks:  Nurse Anesthetist or Pharmacist.  Both do take more than a bachelor's degree, but the payoff is pretty handsome.  I always thought I was going to end up in medicine, and I suppose I did, tangentially, but the length of training in medical school and then a residency seemed so huge when I was making the decision.  Now, looking back, it wouldn't have been insurmountable but you know what they say about hindsight.  If patient care is not something that interests you, then obviously feel free to disregard the suggestion.

I also hear good things about engineering.  Or with your military skills, have you looked into any of the defense contractors?  Boeing is in Washington.

I wish you luck with the transition to civilian life!  And thanks for your service.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:55:27 PM by ReluctantMillennial »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 09:34:17 AM »
It's my belief that most jobs are basically OK. Find something, do your best at it, and re-evaluate on solid ground.

What is your current role in the military?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates