Author Topic: How to download apk file onto android?  (Read 4337 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
How to download apk file onto android?
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I am on my last nerve so I hope someone can help.
I want to download an app into my phone. I would like to avoid rooting my phone because that scares me.
The saga started when I tried to download the roost smart battery app onto my phone from google play. It said this app is not compatible with this device.
So then I downloaded racoon to my pc. I downloaded the apk file to my pc. Then I downloaded "wifi file transfer" to my pc and phone (lg with version 4.1.2 from virgin mobile).

I uploaded the apk file to the wifi file transfer program and I clicked on the install to phone button. On my phone I got a message saying complete action using "package installer" or "verify and install" and either one I pick it says "there is a problem parsing the package"

When I go to system settings then storage then misc the apk file is there, but I can't do anything but delete. I also have limited storage on my phone. Even though I keep deleting things I can't download something big like dropbox. Should I just return the damn thing? Help!

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How to download apk file onto android?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
Do you know what version of the Android OS you are running on?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:18:53 PM »
4.1.2. It might be an android version issue. I am researching that right now.

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
It should tell you what versions the app is compatible with.  I believe Android is currently on 5.1 (although I think the 6.0 version is in beta stage and should be released soon).

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:47:22 PM »
Is there a way to go to version 4.2 without rooting? I believe that is what the app is compatible with.

raymond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
You can try updating the android OS in Settings/about device/software update.

But if you are low on storage space it might make things worse.

If the app you need is built for android 4.2 there is nothing you can do but update android or pick another app.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
Nothing happened when I hit update. Though I do think that would make it worse. My phone is on its last legs.

raymond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 06:55:41 AM »
I have a similar phone, it will serve me well for a few more years. The problem with android phones provided by your operator is that they just don't care about updates. Since I use mine like a dumb phone I don't care. If you have smartphone needs and want to stay with android try a google nexus or anything not tied to an operator. The best smartphones are iphones, not because they are expensive but because apple keeps a tight grip on its ecosystem.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
if you are into modifying your phone, i think it is best to get an android nexus phone, but then i hope you would already know that. If all you do is call and text, stick with a feature phone. I like android phones the best since I have a lot of choices with android. I'm typing this on my moto e bought new for $10 from best buy on black Friday, works awesome at that price point. It's a verizon prepaid but I'm using it as unactivated, only WiFi. I got my first android - a verizon galaxy nexus, largely for its bigger screen, when androids were the the best larger screen phones choice at the time. I've stayed with androids since everytime I've needed to get a phone, an android was the best choice for me at the time. My daily driver is a moto x bought used cheap off eBay that's still going strong. The best smartphones are androids, pricewise and with lots of phone choices.

raymond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
The app he needs is vendor specific http://www.getroost.com/getstarted. So his choices are a new smartphone or a dumb 9 volts battery. I vote for the dumb battery.

On another topic if you want to bypass the android market you can also try https://f-droid.org/

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:01:09 AM »
This is a good read.  I gave up on my android and just use it as a dumb phone... once I'm out of minutes, which won't be much longer (I have tracfone service) I'll be changing to an actual dumb phone that doesn't have to deal with most of these issues.  I lost too many hours of my life on my, har har, stupid smartphones.

raymond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »
I'll be changing to an actual dumb phone
Let me introduce you "the brick" : http://meetthebrick.com