Author Topic: How to dispose of bibles?  (Read 1987 times)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
How to dispose of bibles?
« on: August 26, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »
I have been going through the process of eliminating things and packing up what I want for an upcoming move.

I have encountered my small collection of bibles.

Note: I am not religious and never have been.

Example bibles:

Bible given to my (now deceased) father, engraved with his name and the date of the gift, that he kept for several decades even though he, too, was not religious.

Bible given to my spouse and I, engraved with our names and date of our wedding. We still aren't religious.

Bible that was my (now deceased) grandfather's favorite. He was very religious. The leather is soft and pages are worn from years of handling - but there are no particular engravings or notes in the bible.

Suppose I want to dispose of these bibles. How does one respectfully throw away a bible that someone gifted you or that has some kind of sentimentality attached to it because it was owned by someone else or gifted to you?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: How to dispose of bibles?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »
Same as everything reusable: thrift shop :)

Lots of people (like me) love to pick up something that was clearly loved, has someone’s name in it, etc. We consider those more valuable and lovely than a fresh, new one.

Gatzbie

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
Could also maybe donate it to local church. Around here they have things in the parking lot where you can donate just about anything.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »
We went through this recently. They went to Goodwill.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
My mom made me ask my brother if he wanted the family bibles and he said yes. I feel minorly dissatisfied at the idea of fobbing my clutter off onto him, but I guess he's an adult and can make his own clutter-related decisions.

My husband said he thought our marriage might be cursed if we throw out the wedding bible. So I guess I'm stuck with it.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
Small price to pay for a uncursed marriage ;)