Author Topic: How to deal with friends who are not frugal?  (Read 2600 times)

aloudon2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to deal with friends who are not frugal?
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:34:04 AM »
Newbie here! My husband and I are trying to make this lifestyle work for us, but we have friends that we see regularly but who like to go out! How can we stop spending $50-$60 every time we hang out with them!? We all work during the week and having them over is not a great option because we live in a TINY 250 sq ft granny flat and they live 30+ min away (we usually meet them halfway). Any ideas?? Help me think outside the box!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: How to deal with friends who are not frugal?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
what are you spending that money on... simple solution dont spend the 50 - 60 bucks every time you meet ... solution solved

surfhb

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
What's your financial situation? 

It all depends on how much you make and your goals.

You can live frugally and still spend money on the fun stuff ya know :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »
Meet them for brunch (or lunch) instead of dinner.  Cheaper prices and alcohol is rarely added.

Suggest ethnic restaurants that are cheaper.

Look for freebie or cheap entertainment - hiking, free outdoor concert or music, outdoor movies, fall apple picking, canoeing/kayaking...particularly in the summer it is is super easy to find free entertainment, but even wintertime you can find an outdoor pond for skating, or walk along a pretty lighted path, or go cross-country skiing (buy used skis)...

Meet them for a picnic

Trade off driving further to meet at houses/apartments

ETA: Also try spliting an entree with your husband.  Often they're big enough for two.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:54:55 PM by CommonCents »

GumbyPickles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
Newbie here! My husband and I are trying to make this lifestyle work for us, but we have friends that we see regularly but who like to go out! How can we stop spending $50-$60 every time we hang out with them!? We all work during the week and having them over is not a great option because we live in a TINY 250 sq ft granny flat and they live 30+ min away (we usually meet them halfway). Any ideas?? Help me think outside the box!

Why not just get cheaper options?  Force yourself to go for the PBR instead of a mixed drink, get the small dinner special, skip appetizers, don't get snacks at the movies.  Whatever you are doing there are ways to do it cheaper.  I wouldn't stop being social in ways you enjoy with people you enjoy, that's where frugality meets cheapskate.