Author Topic: How to dare cut your own hair  (Read 17836 times)

urover

• Stubble
Re: How to dare cut your own hair
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2017, 10:45:55 AM »
Used to paying 1$ in India for a hair cut, I couldn't get myself to pay $25 per cut here in Canada. Went to a barber once, had enough of it. Then bought a Wahl and now "buzz" cut to 8 on top, 6 on sides, and 4 back. I tried cutting my hair while keeping it long(er) but failed miserably, so I stick with buzz-cuts. Plus it is so easy to maintain short hair - no need for combing hair, no need for excessive shampoo or pomades/oils or conditioner. Best, you never have to check your hair before stepping out. Priceless.

Paid 26$ incl. tax for clipper. Paid for itself many times over already.

CaptJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »
Shave it clean....that's what I do.  I bic it and buff it till my bald head shines.  I haven't spent a dime on a haircut in 15 years (other than razors)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »
When I started cutting my hair, I did a bit of risk hedging. I cut it longer than I wanted it. Similar approach when I try a new style. The reasoning is simple: if I mess up, I can just go shorter to fix it.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
My hubs and I both cut our own hair and I cut our daughter's hair.  It's really not that hard after the first couple of times.  Just make sure you have super sharp barber scissors or a good electric razor- dull blades really screw up what would be a decent hair cut.

CestMoi

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »
I cut and color my own hair (base color, subtle highlights/lowlights, toner). I found I was unhappy with many of the cuts and colors I'd been getting commercially. Like others here, I watched various youtube videos of how to cut hair similar in texture and desired style to my own before I began. It's great not to spend as much money for hair services now (a salon cut alone is $60 around here, with Supercuts around $22), and I've been happy with the results.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:47:26 PM by CestMoi »

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
I have been thinking about cutting my hair now for some time. I used to go to a inexpensive hairdresser (22$).

$22? Goodness gracious. I used to think the $12 I pay was expensive and got a Wahl clipper for $20 on Amazon. Been cutting my hair for a year now. Each time I cut, I get better. I messed up my hair twice. Who cars? it's hair. It'll grow back. I cut every 3 weeks now instead of every 4 weeks when I used to go the barber shop. I used to take about 35 minutes when I started. Now it takes only 15 min.

I run with a 8 first all over. Then with a 6 till just above my ear line, then with a 5 till my ear, then a 4 till the mid ear, then a 3 from neck to mid year and side burns. Couldn't be happier.

That's way too much work.  Start with your smallest number and work your way up.

Wahl #3, all over, every 4 weeks.  Done.

bendixso123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »
Lol I got over it by screwing up. I just cut my hair really short and dealt with it. The stuff grows back, you know.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
Lol I got over it by screwing up. I just cut my hair really short and dealt with it. The stuff grows back, you know.

I cut my hair once the night before a first date. I messed it up. There was no second date.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:39 PM »

I cut my hair once the night before a first date. I messed it up. There was no second date.

It's OK right, I didn't cut too much off the back??

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »

It's OK right, I didn't cut too much off the back??

You're Buddhist too?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
The last time I paid someone meone to cut my hair was the year 1979. Sinc then I have been cutting it myself and it is, straight, near-shoulder length hair.

Yesterday at my garden club/ladies who lunch event at the country club,  I looked st the room full of 100 women more-or-less my age and many had my hair do: a bob. The others had salon 'do's which were of course much more stylish. The ones with the stylish 'do's also had shoes that matched their pants and were something other than basic black. My group of straight hair/bob 'do women were not so well put togehter.

That is ok, I do not mind being not fashion forward. i still was recognized for my hat (there was a Fall
Hat contest.)

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2017, 11:33:58 PM »
It is time for me to ge a haircut. Finally I have ordered a wahl cutter. I also bought a guard 1,5 inch that cuts the hair at 38 mm. I also tried to buy a 2 inch guard but they didn't ship to Europe.

Last time I got a haircut I chose a very short hairstyle. It has really helped me in the morning not having to fix my hair and so on.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
I did it! And it was easy.

I used 38 mm on top. 25 mm in back to fade in with the top. And 19 mm for the rest.

I cut very conservative because i needed to learn how to use the machine, use it with a handheld mirror and so on. I also helped that I already had a short haircut. But it is now nice and short.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
I've given myself two haircuts now and my husband one. It's actually easier to cut my own hair. My current cut has shorter layers than I would have liked, but I've learned from it and will do better next time.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »
I started about a year ago.  My only regret is not doing it sooner.  The more you do it the better you get at it.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
Yeah, I've never looked back either. (I mean, except in a hand mirror, to check the trim.)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
I haven't paid for a haircut since early 2012.  GF cuts my hair every few weeks, and she hasn't had to buy any extra equipment since she used to be a dog groomer at Petsmart so she has all the gear.  Luckily I developed quite the receding hairline around age 20 (27 now) so haircuts are fast.

tungsten

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »
Haircuts in Oakland were setting me back $20 a pop, so I bought a nice set of clippers, took a deep breath and went for it.  My hair is short, but I didn't want to just buzz it so I knew that it was really going to look like a DIY job for a while till I got the process down.  Now it's been years, I cut my hair and trim the beard each weekend and always look sharp- those clippers saved me a lot of money!  Really, getting the hand/eye coordination down is that hardest part but it's worth it.  I suggest going with clippers instead of scissors personally- you're less likely to 'Van Gogh' yourself by accident.

Simple Dad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2018, 02:35:18 PM »
Used to always buzz mine with no extension.  Now I just shave my head.  I like it much better.  I can't stand having hair touch my ears.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
There are a lot of youtube DIY haircut videos.  I have super long hair, and I use the "unicorn method".  My husband uses the "wife uses the number 3 on the trimmers" method.  I know another person who cuts his own hair and he does a really good fade, and he learned from the youtubes, as well.  Just go slowly.

August

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »
This is how I cut my own hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhPPsRiMJg4

A simple method for men with shoulder length hair.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2018, 02:24:41 PM »
There are a lot of youtube DIY haircut videos.  I have super long hair, and I use the "unicorn method".  My husband uses the "wife uses the number 3 on the trimmers" method.  I know another person who cuts his own hair and he does a really good fade, and he learned from the youtubes, as well.  Just go slowly.

Another tip is to cut it longer than you want at first. There were a few times I botched the job and having the extra length allowed me to just do another cut. For example, I like a 1-2-3 with a fade. The first time I attempted a fade, I did a 3-4-5 with a fade. While doing the sides, I slipped and went way too high. 'Saved' the haircut but doing a 2-3-4 with a fade.

iwanttobelive2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »
Low maintenance can be 2 on the side and 3 on the top, or just 2 all over. Want to grow it out, clean around the ears, sideburns and the clean the back lines. Lots of youtube videos. The Undercut which is in style is easy to do if you're long on top.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »
I'm a girl and I have long hair that I've been cutting myself since I was about 18. I actually find it way easier to cut my hair than my husband's. Mine is so long that it's pretty forgiving, and I dry cut it a curl at a time so it's pretty easy to see the shape as I make it. DH goes to a barber, I tried for years to cut his hair with clippers and I never improved at all. He got tired of looking ridiculous, lol, so he gets a pro cut every couple months.

I do recommend getting good hair scissors if you're going to cut your own long hair, it makes a big difference.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2018, 08:18:15 PM »
Low maintenance can be 2 on the side and 3 on the top, or just 2 all over. Want to grow it out, clean around the ears, sideburns and the clean the back lines. Lots of youtube videos. The Undercut which is in style is easy to do if you're long on top.

Google'd 'undercut', went to images, and thought the hair cut looks like a white supremacist haircuit. Curious to see other people with it and I see Richard Spencer (a white nationalist). I see it is from Wikipedia.....wait--- A white nationalist is on the page for The Undercut? I definitely won't give myself one now.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2018, 08:29:42 PM »
Been doing this for a few years and I like the flexibility. It's faster and I do it better than a professional hairdresser would, because I know how my hair looks best (which isn't to say much). Probably saved $2000 over 15 years, which isn't much.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2018, 09:29:29 PM »
Mr Pancakes and I both cut our own hair. I use a mix of ponytail methods and he just hacks away at his and somehow it comes out looking like he didn’t do it himself.

It is a small cost saving but also drastically more convenient and less stressful. I’d rather mess up my own hair than have to look someone in the eye after they’ve messed it up.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2018, 12:23:04 AM »

Google'd 'undercut', went to images, and thought the hair cut looks like a white supremacist haircuit. Curious to see other people with it and I see Richard Spencer (a white nationalist). I see it is from Wikipedia.....wait--- A white nationalist is on the page for The Undercut? I definitely won't give myself one now.

It's pretty popular and really is so prevalent among youth these days you probably wouldn't get a second glance. My reference for undercut was David Beckham. Right now I sport another haircut he's worn in the past. What can I say, stylish dude haha.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2018, 08:09:54 AM »
When my hair is long and the same length, it's easy to cut it myself.  It's been between a bob and shoulder length for a few years, though, so I pay.  It's about $80 in Manhattan, but only 1.5x a year, so it's not a high priority for me to get that cost down, frankly.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2018, 08:48:11 AM »
I cut my kids' hair. I tried taking them to hair stylist but it was hard. They had to be in a good mood, the hairstylist should be free at that time and there shouldn't be other kids that were crying crazy. Even a small wait time can make it disastrous. It was very hard to hit all three and salon visits were very stressful for all of us. So I started cutting their hair at home and I could do it based on their mood and stop when they got irritated (and restart once they calmed down without worrying about time taken). I have both girls and both have shoulder length hair (or a bob). Been doing it for four years now - at $25 everytime, I think I have saved around $1500. But more than money savings, I (and they) no longer stress/dread haircuts for them. That, IMO, is priceless.

I'll continue doing it till they are old enough to find a good hairstylist, sit there without complaining and maybe pay for the hairstylist out of their pocket money.

I also cut my own hair but I keep it long (and in ponytails or buns most of the time) so it's NBD. I think my savings from cutting my and kids' hair is in the $2000s range.