Author Topic: How to cook beans? Bean novice  (Read 3401 times)

gbbi_977

• Stubble
How to cook beans? Bean novice
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:00:15 AM »
Hello,

I've never liked beans so I don't know how to cook them, but I want to change both those things.

So I picked up this three pound bag of "soup mix" from the supermarket and it appears to be a mix of lentils and beans. And I don't know what to do with it - do I need to soak it overnight before adding it to a soup?

[Planned soup: tomato base, with carrots and spicy sausage plus this mysterious soup mix]

Picture attached.

Thanks!

chubbybunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How to cook beans? Bean novice
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:11:13 AM »
I usually use a slow cooker to make bean soup.  I'll boil the beans in a separate pot first.  Once it's a rolling boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot and let it sit for an hour (that replaces the overnight soak).  Then you can drain the beans and add them to your recipe. If you don't have a crock pot, just cook them on low-med heat and be patient. 

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Soak over night (the beans will about double in size), then drain the soaking water, and boil the beans for between half an hour and two hours, until they are soft.

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:46 AM »
I stopped soaking beans because I fail at planning ahead. Doesn't seem to matter much unless the beans are several years old. My method - put beans in slow cooker with half an onion, a couple cloves garlic, salt. Cook on high for about 3 hrs. For that mix, you might want to check it at 2 hrs - lentils cook faster than most beans.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 08:21:04 AM »
I dislike the soaking procedure, so I always just cook them in a crock pot (it keeps my kitchen less hot than boiling for a long time, too). http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/12/how-to-kick-the-can-of-beans/. I've never done it with mixed beans, but it should work the same. I can make a big batch of beans one day, divide it into separate ziplocks, and then use however much is necessary for other things like soup. They will be fine if you cook them in the crockpot first and then cook them again in soup.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:32:27 AM »
I thought the soaking was a health thing, not just a cooking thing. Isn't that why you discard the soaking water and replace it with seasoned water?

My crock pot says specifically not to use the low setting to cook lentils (only says because of 'toxins')

I rinse the lentils/beans first in a big plastic jug, then add hot water from the kettle, pop the whole thing in the microwave until it is properly boiling, then leave for (at least half an hour but often until I remember), heat up again, and then drain and rinse.

The soup plan sounds great; I would consider adding some chilli and a teeny splash of vodka.

Duchess of Stratosphear

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 08:33:27 AM »
I soak in salt water for 4-8 hours and then cook in a pressure cooker for ten or so minutes. I'm sure other folks will chime in with how awesome pressure cookers are, but if you don't want to fool with it, the slow cooker rocks too, especially if you're the patient sort.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
Whether you decide to soak or not be sure to wash them and transfer them from wash water to cooking pot in small handfuls checking each for small stones and little clods of dirt.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
From dry in the pressure cooker for exactly 22minutes after the pressure relief vents. turn down the heat so it is JUST venting off a little steam continuously.

Perfect.

My PC seal started leaking out the side.. so I took the lid of the pC and crushed the lip a little in the vice for that it compresses the seal a little more.. Works great now.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
I stopped soaking beans because I fail at planning ahead. Doesn't seem to matter much unless the beans are several years old. My method - put beans in slow cooker with half an onion, a couple cloves garlic, salt. Cook on high for about 3 hrs. For that mix, you might want to check it at 2 hrs - lentils cook faster than most beans.
Yeah, I saw an article where a food science nerd compared, and it turns out soaking beforehand doesn't really matter, either to final result or to how gassy your intestines get.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
From dry in the pressure cooker for exactly 22minutes after the pressure relief vents. turn down the heat so it is JUST venting off a little steam continuously.

Perfect.

My PC seal started leaking out the side.. so I took the lid of the pC and crushed the lip a little in the vice for that it compresses the seal a little more.. Works great now.

Pressure cooker is the only way to cook beans and lentils. As Exflyboy said, no soaking, 20-30 minutes from try to done.

I know it's not mustachian, but I love convenience and sprang for the electric one in the link below. I do not regret it.

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX60-Programmable-1000-Watt/dp/B0073GIN08/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1446838022&sr=1-2&keywords=instant+pot