Author Topic: How to best go about selling used 2006 Hyundai Sonata?  (Read 1764 times)

Hawkeye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Save on your Phone plan by switching to Tello - sign up now and we both get $10 ! Referral
How to best go about selling used 2006 Hyundai Sonata?
« on: July 01, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
Hey Mustachians!

So my wonderful fiancé and I just moved to NYC for career reasons - with the crazy traffic here, we want to sell our car.

Car is a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, with ~ 70k miles on it. The issue is that the AC stopped working.. I tried refilling the Freon but no avail.. Based on my research on Youtube, the AC system is not super accessible and fixing it is not straightforward... Currently the payments are $60/month for insurance, it's parked for free at a nearby family property so no other cost.

What would you guys recommend? Have the AC fixed now? Or wait until it's later in the year? Or sell with non-functioning AC? What price do you think we could expect? I'm somewhat worried shelling out $$$ to attempt an AC repair and that this won't really help/ not be worth the cost.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated.. Thanks !

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Re: How to best go about selling used 2006 Hyundai Sonata?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
If you are not hard-pressed for money, I'd just sell it on Craigslist and disclose that the A/C isn't working. If you want a very easy process, I'd just take it to Carmax. They may or may not notice the A/C...

Hawkeye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Save on your Phone plan by switching to Tello - sign up now and we both get $10 ! Referral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! We are not hard pressed for the money but would rather have a more cumbersome process if this is more profitable. What asking price would you recommend for the car. Besides the AC its in a fairly good shape.

Also, what would be the recommendations how to go about selling a car to a private party?

Thanks again!

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! We are not hard pressed for the money but would rather have a more cumbersome process if this is more profitable. What asking price would you recommend for the car. Besides the AC its in a fairly good shape.

Also, what would be the recommendations how to go about selling a car to a private party?

Thanks again!

Your car is probably worth <$5k with a broken A/C. Yes private party will be more profitable, especially since I am sure that there is someone out there who really needs a car and doesn't car about A/C. Now, since your car isn't worth over $5k, I'd go with cash only, or you can offer to meet someone at the bank for a cashier's check, etc.

This is a good post describing the ins and outs: https://www.debtroundup.com/how-to-sell-a-car-on-craigslist/

I would strongly recommend having the buyer sign a short form stating that the car is sold AS-IS (you can google around for some templates/ideas). Your Craigslist ad should say it, but this adds one additional layer of protection for yourself.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!