Author Topic: How to become an entrepreneur?  (Read 2804 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
How to become an entrepreneur?
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:02:36 PM »
So, this is where I am. I'm 30 years old, make about 20K per year at my current job, suffer from ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder--a more of less invisible disorder which makes communicating with people really difficult), and have two degrees, both in Education, one is for teaching high school English, and the other is for teaching English as a Second Language. I'm almost ready to call it quits on the teaching job search and to give notice at the job I have right now. I know it's not a smart move, but I don't want to get fired. My boss has had to write me up several times for mistakes that I "shouldn't have made." For example, I took Thursday off as a sick day to finish recovering from a cold and to take a break from stress by changing my routine a bit. Well, that was okay. I called in and followed the procedure, but the person who subbed for me found serious violations in my classroom. I had left my computer unlocked and the students could get to it and do whatever they wanted, for one thing. Now, it never occurred to me that leaving my computer unlocked was an issue, and my boss had to spell out to me what could have happened! That's an example of what poor reasoning skills I sometimes have. To be honest, I'm surprised my employer has allowed me to work this long, but I would like to find something that I'm good at instead of living in fear of losing my day job. 

kmb501

• Bristles
Re: How to become an entrepreneur?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
I've thought about opting for a work-from-home thing like article writing, tutoring, or even telemarketing. I know it's absolutely not smart to quit your day job if you don't have anything lined up, though.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:45:39 PM »
I[] ... suffer from ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder ...) ...

I had left my computer unlocked and the students could get to it and do whatever they wanted, for one thing. Now, it never occurred to me that leaving my computer unlocked was an issue[.]

This is not an Austism-related issue. It's a training issue, and it's your employer's fault. The employer should have provided basic information security training at some point.

Moreover, if the students have unfettered physical access to your computer (as your story suggests), they can compromise it in any of a number of ways even if it's "locked". This could be as trivial as replacing the keyboard with a version that logs your password. Or it could be more sophisticated. But the fundamental problem in this story is that students apparently have unsupervised physical access to your computer. If this is a desktop computer, I would also consider that to be the employer's fault. If it's a laptop, it's probably still the employer's fault for not providing proper training and/or not allowing you to take it home each day. So, don't sweat it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
MOD NOTE:  This is not substantially different than the many, many other threads you have created.

You have gotten all kinds of advice about your situation, and your continued decision to ignore it and keep posting the same issues has moved past looking for help to what can only be described as trolling.

If you want advice, please go back and reread your other threads.

I am not unsympathetic to your situation, and have replied in your threads several times myself, but given that you have posted about it dozens of times, started a handful of threads, and continue to ignore replies, there is no point in you starting yet another one.

Implement the advice, or not, but do not continue to post the same thing, asking over and over.  Go reread those other threads.  They have the answers the Mustachian community has to offer.

Locking thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!