Author Topic: How to be more content and grateful?  (Read 1403 times)

BOP Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to be more content and grateful?
« on: November 28, 2022, 05:06:23 PM »
I’m fully on board with the mustachian way of life and have no desire for material possessions at all as we have a warm dry near new home and safe family car and quality clothes, etc. However, I find myself never being content with life at the moment. I want more time, more experiences, more travel.

I’m 34 and my wife is 36 and we’ve got a 2 & 3 year old and I just can’t be content with what we’re got.

What are some tips to be happy in our own skin? From an outsiders perspective we are living the western world dream and frugal at the same time but I really long for more which is making me unhappy.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How to be more content and grateful?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 05:25:35 PM »
I’m fully on board with the mustachian way of life and have no desire for material possessions at all as we have a warm dry near new home and safe family car and quality clothes, etc. However, I find myself never being content with life at the moment. I want more time, more experiences, more travel.

I’m 34 and my wife is 36 and we’ve got a 2 & 3 year old and I just can’t be content with what we’re got.

What are some tips to be happy in our own skin? From an outsiders perspective we are living the western world dream and frugal at the same time but I really long for more which is making me unhappy.

Why do you think that you long for more? Do you see what other people are doing on social media and want to emulate them?

Is your wife more or less frugal/modest/content/grateful than you are?

BOP Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »

[/quote]

Why do you think that you long for more? Do you see what other people are doing on social media and want to emulate them?

Is your wife more or less frugal/modest/content/grateful than you are?
[/quote]

I just want to do some things with my life instead of work, eat, clean, etc. Doing amazing hikes, endurance events, seeing world landscapes and cultures to me seems a life well lived.

My wife is a bit less frugal than me but not much.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 07:42:05 PM »

I just want to do some things with my life instead of work, eat, clean, etc. Doing amazing hikes, endurance events, seeing world landscapes and cultures to me seems a life well lived.

My wife is a bit less frugal than me but not much.

It sounds like you maybe are working too much if you cannot do basic things like go on some hike or go to an endurance event. Traveling abroad certainly requires more planning and possibly more money, but it's not like it's a personality flaw for you to want to incorporate travel into your life and force yourself to not want that. Your kids will become more well rounded humans by traveling but they are still extremely young.  Start dreaming with your wife about the places you can take your kids when they are old enough to remember, and then, start saving for it.

Aardvark

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »
It sounds cliché, but consider the possibility/probability that you would feel the exact same way even if you bagged all those goals. It sounds like you're on the (hedonic) treadmill and asking how to get off. No easy way that I know of, but a good therapist and a good meditation app have gone a long way for me. Like everything else these things only provide value if you put in the required time and effort.

If you're interested in a meditation app, here is a link for a free month on the Sam Harris Waking up app.
https://dynamic.wakingup.com/shareOpenAccess/75a089

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »
I'm about 10 years ahead of you and have 2 kids that are also about 10 years older than yours. I was diagnosed with a rare cancer this summer, don't know if I will survive much longer, statistically the odds aren't great. Between spending~1 month in the hospital and months recovering from major surgery and now being laid up with chemo, I've had a lot of time to think about life. At this point I'd be thrilled just to make it to my kids' high school graduations, mainly because I'd like to see them reach adulthood before their dad passes. What I'm really saying is that it's really all about the people in your life. It's doesn't have to be complicated, expensive, or even impressive. Love them, spend time with them. Play games. Enter their imaginary worlds. Enjoy good meals with friends. Hire a sitter and go on dates with your spouse.

Do endurance events if that brings you joy. But make sure you're doing it for the right reasons and not to impress others or yourself. No one's going to know or care in 100 years. So if you enjoy running, start running (or whatever you have in mind). Start small. Have fun with it. Do it with friends if possible.

I'll also point out that you're in the thick of it with a 2 & 3 year old. Those are hard, exhausting ages. Lack of sleep. Bottles. Diapers. There's a reason you feel like you only work, eat, and clean. Hang in there, it'll get easier. I still remember having a little celebration with my wife when we gave away our bottles and diapers. And I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but really try to cherish these years with your kids. They grow up fast. Kids that age are better than adults at enjoying the simple things in life. Everything is new to them, so simple trips are special. Play in puddles. Explore streams. Short hikes. Go to a petting zoo. Do u-pick fruit. It doesn't really matter. IMO, big expensive trips (especially international with jet lag, etc) are completely lost on young kids and super stressful for parents.

One final bit of advice: If you haven't already, delete your social media accounts. These are all designed to give you FOMO. You'll be a lot more content if you're not always inundated with curated visions of fantastic yet mostly fake lives.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:20:00 PM by FINate »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 12:41:07 AM »
Travel doesn’t have to be far. I’m sure you have things and places in your area that international travellers come a long way to see. There are also many underrated things in your area.

For instance, for many years I’ve known a bit about the Mississippi mound builders, but not precisely where they were. This year I spent a couple of weeks in Ohio. A lot of people I met, who came from Ohio, told me there was nothing to do or see in Ohio. Imagine my surprise when I realised that some of the most impressive mounds were in Ohio! I spent a fair amount of my time there seeing the different mound works.

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 01:58:08 AM »
+1 on your 'problem' being having 2 kids that young.
I was diagnosed with depression soon after the 2nd birthday, should have happened (the diagnosis) waaay sooner, and I only have one kid.
This is taboo to talk about in person, but being a caregiver of someone that dependent on you is 1 full time job at least. 2 kids I'm sure it doubles. That's 2 full time jobs if you're both retired early already. If not, then the both of you may have 4 full time jobs altogether, so...
Keep on keeping on. They become better and better company each day after year 2.
Wouldn't trade mine for anything now.
But a year has passed, and I'm not letting go of my meds, either...

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 04:06:16 AM »
My partner and I have adopted the habit of sharing 1 thing each day that we're grateful for. Some days it's harder to find things than others, but the habit of looking for good things in our lives has improved overall contentment. It also gives us insight into each other's outlook and viewpoint of the world in that moment which promotes closeness.

I also agree so much with what FINate wrote. You're in the thick of it with 2 young kids. If you have social media accounts, they're probably contributing to feelings of something missing in your lives. Fancy trips are lost on young kids who would be just as happy going to the park. Humans tend to be social beings, but the depth of connection seems to be more vital than the number of connections. So having meaningful connection with a select number of people (family or friends) will likely lead to more contentment than a bunch of shallow relationships.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 04:48:04 AM »

This is actually a complicated question because it is predicated on the assumption that you have a life that is fulfilling enough for you.

The key is to figure out what is holding you back from feeling opti.ally fulfilled in your life and making appropriate changes, not just to push yourself to accept your current circumstances more.

The best way to be grateful for every privilege and opportunity you have is to *use* those resources to live your very best, most satisfying life.

Also, the "dream" western life makes a lot of people miserable. The key is to identify what isn't working for you within that, not just to dream of more of what is already not working for you.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 05:34:40 AM »
Like others have said, I think this feeling you have is related to having small children. That stage is very unfulfilling really. Sure there are fleeting minutes of fun but it’s really just a lot of fucking work.
My kids are now 13 and 10. It’s still busy, but a different kind of busy.
If you aren’t already, find a good babysitter and go out for some adult dinners or evenings out. And don’t do that stupid shit some people do where they wait until the kids go to bed to get the sitter and go out. That’s not a break.
Make sure you all are also getting some time out with your own adult friends or for your own individual activities.
And find another couple with similar aged kids and try having a get together at each other’s house where you put the kids in an area to play and the adults watch and eat together. Some of our best memories when our boys were that age was having our neighbors over with their kids. The kids would go in the playroom and get out all the toys and make a giant mess and the adults would eat together and talk.
These are all things you can do to break up the monotony of life with littles. And I’m a few years you can start doing some traveling. I recommend trips to a beach condo first and then as they break away from naps you can do bigger trips that include sightseeing.
It will get better and someday you’ll look back and it will so worth it.

fraylock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 07:59:32 AM »
I'm about 10 years ahead of you and have 2 kids that are also about 10 years older than yours. I was diagnosed with a rare cancer this summer, don't know if I will survive much longer, statistically the odds aren't great. Between spending~1 month in the hospital and months recovering from major surgery and now being laid up with chemo, I've had a lot of time to think about life. At this point I'd be thrilled just to make it to my kids' high school graduations, mainly because I'd like to see them reach adulthood before their dad passes. What I'm really saying is that it's really all about the people in your life. It's doesn't have to be complicated, expensive, or even impressive. Love them, spend time with them. Play games. Enter their imaginary worlds. Enjoy good meals with friends. Hire a sitter and go on dates with your spouse.

Do endurance events if that brings you joy. But make sure you're doing it for the right reasons and not to impress others or yourself. No one's going to know or care in 100 years. So if you enjoy running, start running (or whatever you have in mind). Start small. Have fun with it. Do it with friends if possible.

I'll also point out that you're in the thick of it with a 2 & 3 year old. Those are hard, exhausting ages. Lack of sleep. Bottles. Diapers. There's a reason you feel like you only work, eat, and clean. Hang in there, it'll get easier. I still remember having a little celebration with my wife when we gave away our bottles and diapers. And I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but really try to cherish these years with your kids. They grow up fast. Kids that age are better than adults at enjoying the simple things in life. Everything is new to them, so simple trips are special. Play in puddles. Explore streams. Short hikes. Go to a petting zoo. Do u-pick fruit. It doesn't really matter. IMO, big expensive trips (especially international with jet lag, etc) are completely lost on young kids and super stressful for parents.

One final bit of advice: If you haven't already, delete your social media accounts. These are all designed to give you FOMO. You'll be a lot more content if you're not always inundated with curated visions of fantastic yet mostly fake lives.

Thanks for this.  It is helpful for me.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 09:53:11 AM »
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is practice: yes, go do things like take a hike, but also take time each day to notice and appreciate any contentment you feel. List of 3 things you are grateful for every day. These small things have been shown to increase life satisfaction.

As for social media, my goodness do you have any idea what some people put into that?!? We hung out with a couple who changed clothes between each activity, had to wait for all the other instagrammers to get out of the way to get the perfect shot in the same place as everyone else...it was tedious.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »
Standard I Am Not A Parent disclaimer. I agree with the posters who have suggested having two young children is probably a big part of your current restlessness/FOMO/discontent. It's pretty hard to go on a epic adventure with two toddlers and a full time job.

For this current stage of life, are there ways to do less time consuming activities? Can you put the kids in strollers and go for family walks? What about a weekend at a resort? Or you and your spouse each get one evening alone per month to do whatever?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 10:30:01 AM »

Pick one that you really want, and plan out a way to do it.

It's possible to achieve just about anything if you're focused on making it happen.  It may not happen all at once, will certainly require a lot of schedule juggling and forethought, and it may not happen exactly as you first envision it . . . but you can make it happen.

You might find that you derive as much satisfaction from working towards a goal as achieving it.  At the least it should help kill those poisonous feelings of dissatisfaction that you're reporting.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »
x1000 on the "young kids" explanation.  You are in the middle of the suck, and it's going to suck for a while, and that's ok.  Because being in the middle of the suck means that there is also an end of the suck, and it truly is coming. 

My advice:

Allow yourself to feel pissy and frustrated if you're feeling pissy and frustrated.  Doesn't mean you're not a good parent, doesn't mean you're not a good partner, just means you're in a tough phase.  Tamping down the negative feelings only forces them underground until they get so powerful they erupt on their own and make a mess of your life -- and when you're feeling lousy, I guarantee that the one thing that will make you feel even worse is trying to force yourself into artificial gratitude.  I have to go through the anger and frustration and grief before my brain will even consider being open to gratitude.

Work on empathy and perspective.  I tend to get aggravated by little things, like someone cuts me off in traffic.  So one of the things I do is tell myself all the reasons someone might do that that do not equate to "they're just a total asshole" -- maybe they're on the way to visit someone in the hospital and their head isn't in the game, maybe they just had a breakup and are focused on not bawling in the car, etc.  When I can see annoyances as real people with real problems, and not as just some stupid or ill-intentioned "other," things bother me less, and I am happier overall. 

When you are in a not-actively-bad frame of mind, this is when you look for things to be grateful for.  A cooling breeze in summer, the fact that you can afford to provide your family the lives you want, a good thing that happened, etc.  You can't force it, but by practicing that when you're in a receptive state of mind, you can train your brain to think more that way.

Remind yourself that you can have any of those things that you want; you just can't have them all at the same time.  You can go travel the world right this minute if you want to; you're not stuck, no one's putting a gun to your head and threatening to shoot if you get on a plane.  But you have chosen not to do that, because it would cost you your job and family.  You can both quit your jobs and move abroad with the kids and get by on whatever you can make overseas; the tradeoff is stepping away from your career and your home and potentially a longer time to FIRE.  I find it incredibly helpful to remind myself that I can do XYZ whenever I want to; I just don't want to, because the tradeoffs would be worse than what I'd gain. That changes the feeling of "I'm stuck in this unfulfilling life" into "I've chosen this life, and if/when this isn't working for me any more, I'll choose something else."  It gives you power vs. seeing yourself as a victim of forces beyond your control.

But for the things that are missing, ask yourself: why do you miss them?  What is the core feeling that they give you that you don't have in your life now?  Then figure out something you can do now that gives you a similar feeling.  Sure, you can't hike the Appalachian Trail, but you can take a weekend hike, right?  You can't uproot your family and slow travel the world, but you can start dreaming about the places you want to take the kids when they're old enough to appreciate it and saving up for some meaningful family trips while you're in this phase. 

The real key to success with this last one:  do the same for/with your wife.  You can't just announce you're taking off on a weekend camping trip without creating more unhappiness than you have now.  But I guarantee you your wife also periodically feels frustrated and overwhelmed and resents that she no longer has time/money for things that were meaningful to her.  If you both do the thinking and talking, you can trade off free time to give the other the needed break -- maybe you go hiking one weekend while she minds the store, then the next weekend she goes away with her girlfriends to some cute nearby town.  When our kids were little, DH and I swapped weekend mornings -- I got Saturday morning to do whatever I needed, he got Sunday.  I used mine to sleep (nursing, ugh), he used his to go play golf.  It truly saved our sanity sometimes.

Finally:  carve out one-on-one time to spend with your wife.  Work and kids are very loud and demanding for the both of you; your need for a connection with each other is equally important but easily drowned out in the daily rush.  Just as you plan time and $$ for your individual needs, plan time and money to be a couple.  A lack of meaningful human connection can contribute a surprising amount of dissatisfaction and frustration; making time to reconnect with your person can take the edge off things -- even if you spend it just bitching about your frustrations, at least you're not bitching alone (or to an internet full of strangers ;-)).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 01:42:55 PM »
What are some tips to be happy in our own skin?

Smash your cell phone, drop your internet to a 90s level of service, tether your laptops to a network cable for network access, and live life the 90s way.  Get a digital camera to record stuff, and write about it if you want.

Seriously, the internet has gotten horridly human-toxic.  The less of it I use, the happier I am.  I get I'm writing it here, odds are good I won't be posting on forums much longer because the entire consumer tech ecosystem is just such a raging cesspool of crap I may as well not bother except in my own very limited ways.  See blog for now.

Everything is new to them, so simple trips are special. Play in puddles. Explore streams. Short hikes. Go to a petting zoo. Do u-pick fruit. It doesn't really matter. IMO, big expensive trips (especially international with jet lag, etc) are completely lost on young kids and super stressful for parents.

Yup.  We took a 3 and 6 year old to the Grand Canyon since we happened to be in the area, and neither of them cared.  They'd rather have been out in the local desert where at least they can go climb on stuff.  Or at one of the local parks.  My wife and I enjoyed it, but "Do we have to keep walking?  Are we done yet?" didn't improve the experience much.

Absolutely.  I'm glad to see this is a more widespread trend lately.  The stuff is just toxic to humans, in every possible form.  Any exploitable psychological loophole, understood or not, that will trade your autonomy and mental health for "eyeballs on ads" is used, as much as possible, to get your eyeballs on their ads.  You're not the product, you're... the source of raw materials mined, turned into prediction products, and delivered back to you to overwhelm your desires and replace them with whoever paid for your eyeball impressions desires.

I'm not kidding about smashing your phone, either.  If you're not going to do that, delete every app on it and use it as a basic communications device for person to person communications.  You might have to add a Signal or Element app to do that, fine, but keep the home screen blank, and keep the phone off for long periods of the day.  The world will get along without your constant connectivity, and you'll be a lot better off for it.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 03:11:19 PM »
If you're looking to be content and grateful - hard to find something more effective than psilocybin. It rewires the brain which sounds scary but it's really just breaking down the Default Mode Network (DMN) temporarily.  Episode 2 of Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind currently on Netflix focuses on psilocybin and talks about this DMN breakdown in more depth, including commentary from doctors who aren't your proto-typical psychedelic medicine pushers, they simply are following the data and the data look strong for psilocybin as a mood elevator, mood changer. Here is an excerpt from the psilocybin wiki page:
"A further study by Griffiths in 2017 found that doses of 20 to 30 mg/70 kg psilocybin inducing mystical-type experiences brought more lasting changes to traits including altruism, gratitude, forgiveness and feeling close to others when they were combined with a regular meditation practice and an extensive spiritual practice support programme."

Don't be stupid about it, do some research, know yourself, set & setting, all that jazz.  It is medicinal and although it's not addictive and impossible to OD on it, it demands respect.  It can be intense and you want to have a good support network around you.  This could be a clinician setting with people guiding you, or it could be a small group of friends who actually partake with you or you might want to do it by yourself, whatever.  I do not recommend a high dose if you're just looking for contentment and gratitude.  A little can go a long way in that department since you don't need the proverbial "ego death" just to receive any mental benefits.  In fact, micro-dosing has been promising in recent years.

I'm not an expert on this though I have read a decent amount and experimented a couple of times - still, don't mess with something like this until you feel comfortable with all aspects surrounding a treatment.  Even simply thinking back to a particular psilocybin session brings me a lot of joy and thankfulness.  Never before have I felt so small and insignificant in the universe but simultaneously integrated in the universe quite deeply (and the satisfaction simply to be aware of that) and blessed to be alive with the myriad amazing positives in my own life and what the future offers.  You also feel the connectedness with nature and typically want to be super-altruistic.  I'd also say it removes fear of death/decline which can be a common middle-aged thing to dwell on and get bummed out by existence.  Psilocybin changes the brain's framework and value system.  It's hard not to appreciate the crap out of life after a session with a few loved ones.  YMM definitely V.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 03:20:43 PM »
Like others have said, I think this feeling you have is related to having small children. That stage is very unfulfilling really. Sure there are fleeting minutes of fun but it’s really just a lot of fucking work.
If you aren’t already, find a good babysitter and go out for some adult dinners or evenings out. And don’t do that stupid shit some people do where they wait until the kids go to bed to get the sitter and go out. That’s not a break.
Make sure you all are also getting some time out with your own adult friends or for your own individual activities.
And find another couple with similar aged kids and try having a get together at each other’s house where you put the kids in an area to play and the adults watch and eat together. Some of our best memories when our boys were that age was having our neighbors over with their kids. The kids would go in the playroom and get out all the toys and make a giant mess and the adults would eat together and talk.
These are all things you can do to break up the monotony of life with littles. And I’m a few years you can start doing some traveling. I recommend trips to a beach condo first and then as they break away from naps you can do bigger trips that include sightseeing.

+1 in general to this. With dual careers and 2 kids under 4, you are in JSS mode: Just Survive Somehow.

To the bolded, WTF?!!??! what kind of sociopaths would have a babysitter come AFTER you do all the work of getting them in bed? That's 95% of what I am paying for.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 03:33:22 PM »

+1 in general to this. With dual careers and 2 kids under 4, you are in JSS mode: Just Survive Somehow.

To the bolded, WTF?!!??! what kind of sociopaths would have a babysitter come AFTER you do all the work of getting them in bed? That's 95% of what I am paying for.
I know right? We never did that but we had friends who absolutely did. They felt it was “too difficult for the babysitter to get the kids down” or that they could avoid missing time with their kids.
Good babysitters will figure out how to make them go to bed and it’s good for your kids to have someone else to play with while you enjoy some adult time. Go out and have dinner at a reasonable hour and then come home to a quiet house so you can rest or have more adult time!!
A good babysitter is worth their weight in gold and we paid dearly for them. But it was an expense I do not regret.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 01:32:02 AM »
Write down three things you are grateful for every day.

Make time to be outdoors in nature.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!