Author Topic: How to ask for an extended sick leave  (Read 2263 times)

moneytaichi

• Stubble
How to ask for an extended sick leave
« on: February 28, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
I am planning to ask for a sick leave with my boss this Sunday, 3/4 as we are meeting for a conference.

I have read many threads in this forum and concluded that it's better to ask for an extended sick leave, than asking for a sabbatical (Because the megacorp doesn't understand this concept. They just want you produce until you drop died or become trashed. It seems harder for them to reject the sick leave.). I just scheduled a meeting with my medical doctor this Thursday.

What advice do you have to get an extended sick leave? What was your experience if you have done it?

Thanks a million for your kind help!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:29:37 PM by moneytaichi »

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: How to ask for an extended sick leave
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »
Is your burnout actually causing a definable health problem?  If so, get a doctor's note specifying that you need to be off for xx time.  Make sure that you meet the requirements of FMLA so that they have to give you a job back.

This, of course, assumes you are in the US.

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks, Catbert! Yes, I am based in Maine, US. I definitely had definable health issues, but try to tough it out. Should have checked with my medical doc earlier and get some prescriptions. Your advice made me think about which symptom I should talk to my doctor. Thanks!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »
Talk to your doctor about everything. Do the same with your psychologist if you are seeing one. I have he employees go out on medical for physical ailments as well as mental issues. It is all health related.
Definitely get a doctor’s note and do it fully within the framework of FMLA. If your MegaCorp works at all like mine does, that is the only way your leave will get approved short of you taking vacation or an unpaid leave of absence.

Gilly

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
 Don't ask, tell.
" I need to take 12 weeks for my health." You don't need to provide other details on a personal health mater, except what is necessary to qualify for FMLA, which your doctor's note should address. Check the FMLA rules. IF you feel you need to give detail, don't. Or at least keep it as vague as possible such as my health is keeping me from XXX and I need time to recover.
Don't give them a range either. Give them the highest number you expect to take off and tell them the start date. If after 6 weeks or whatever you feel ready to come back to work contact them then and arrange to come back early.