Author Topic: How should I put a promotion to the same title on my resume?  (Read 2084 times)

rabidshark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How should I put a promotion to the same title on my resume?
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
So great news! I got promoted on Monday, got a ~10% raise, got additional responsibilities, management duties, and...my title is staying the same. Under the revised tiers for my department, my previous role as a Senior Scientist is now considered a Scientist II, and my new role is considered a promotion from a Scientist II to a Senior Scientist. So last Friday I was a Senior Scientist under the old tiering system, and as of this Monday I'm a Senior Scientist under the new tiering system.

I'm wondering what the best way to write this up would be, as my preference would be to show in my resume...
1. I've been promoted twice in my time with said company, and...
2. I've been a Senior Scientist since the time of my first promotion.

I was considering labeling the titles as "Senior Scientist (Tier V)" and "Senior Scientist (Tier VI)" but they've added an additional intermediate role which would make my current role more like Tier VII, and frankly that would be even more confusing! I'm thinking of settling with just two job titles with a descriptor that implies the second is a further promotion, not sure if headhunters would dig that deep though...

I understand this isn't directly financial advice, but a properly worded resume goes a long way towards getting the right job and income to accelerate retirement.

Thank you for your time!

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How should I put a promotion to the same title on my resume?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
I’m a headhunter.  Put down your actual title and next to it, put promotion to manager or something to that effect.

So:

X Corp, somewheresville
  Senior scientist, management
    Job duties

Senior scientist, individual contributor
    Job duties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »
I am not a headhunter, so take my idea for what it's worth, which may be pretty close to nothing.

What about putting the current job titles on your resume?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »
Honestly representing yourself on your resume is very important.  That being said, I don't think it is strictly necessary to use the exact internal job title that any given company gives you on your resume.  The reason for this is that companies differ quite a bit in their internal job titles.  The same set of responsibilities at two companies might have different job titles, and the same job title at two companies might have different responsibility sets.

What I would suggest is going to a salary scale site (when you're not at work) like salary.com or glassdoor.com or payscale.com and find the generic job descriptions that are closest to your previous role and your current role.  Then see what generic job titles they give for those and just use those on your resume.  It might end up being Senior Scientist 2 and Senior Scientist 3 or something like that.

And I would list it as two separate positions under the same company, similar to how @Papa bear laid it out in his post.  If you do it that way and the formatting is clear and the language is precise, then headhunters should be able to understand your career progression pretty easily.  If you choose to list accomplishments under each position, then the last bullet point under your first position can say "Promoted to Senior Scientist 3" which would make it perfectly clear.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 05:29:09 PM »
my new role is considered a promotion from a Scientist II to a Senior Scientist.

Change your old role to match the new naming convention?  No one's really going to care what the actual job titles are.  The only relevant parts are that you got a promotion and your duties before and after.