Author Topic: How often do you go out to eat?  (Read 21124 times)

grizbiz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How often do you go out to eat?
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
Hi everybody, I just discovered this blog and it is very interesting. I have always been a frugal spender, except when it comes to having fun with my friends. I like going out and partying and going to bars, that is just where I prefer to spend my extra money. But now I am finally out of college and moving into a place of my own I will need to cut my "night life" spending.

Just out of curiosity though, how often do you go out to eat or for drinks? Do you have any money saving tips? Usually I take advantage of Happy Hours or the weekly specials they have. Half off wine Wednesday saves me a ton when I go out, and I only eat sushi on the weekends at a place that has a 50% discount on all sushi on Saturdays and Sundays.

If I'm not having dinner with friends I am always coming up with super frugal but delicious recipes to make at home when eating on my own. I have a fish taco recipe that can keep me fed for 3 days (lunch and dinners) for only $15.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How often do you go out to eat?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:38:20 AM »
I got out to lunch on fridays (10$) and I will typically go out to eat one weekend night (30-60$ for wife and I), but not always.  Though my group of friends mostly consist of weightlifters and powerlifters, so we are a weird bunch to begin with....happy hour is the time spent in the squat rack.  Once a month we do hit up an all you can eat sushi place for dinner, damn we crush some sushi!

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »
We have tended to each get lunch once a week and go out together for dinner maybe once a week.  So 8 lunches and 4 dinners.  We are trying to reduce this.

I have made a new rule never to buy alcohol though; while the food may be something I won't/can't make at home, there's no reason to pay that markup on a drink I could pour at home after dinner. 

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »
The wife and I used to go out to eat about once every other week, but eating out has become less and less important to her, and I would say it's now around once every 2 months or so.

I don't drink so I can't comment to that!

Usually when one of our set of parents are in town, they want to take us out a lot. So I definitely need a detox time after they leave. Not to say I don't enjoy going out, I just enjoy cooking and eating what I make.

grizbiz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
We have tended to each get lunch once a week and go out together for dinner maybe once a week.  So 8 lunches and 4 dinners.  We are trying to reduce this.

I have made a new rule never to buy alcohol though; while the food may be something I won't/can't make at home, there's no reason to pay that markup on a drink I could pour at home after dinner.

Agreed, alcohol is killer. A bottle of wine could be $30 and I found that same bottle in store for $9. I guess with the alcohol you are really paying for the experience, not exactly the booze. It's a very different experience though, being at a resturant/bar vs being at home. Sometimes I am cool with just hanging at home with friends and a 30 pack, but most of the time they prefer to go out. I have been considering bringing a flask or sneaking in something, but even with the insane mark ups on alcohol that might be considered borderline cheap. I have no regrets about sneaking in popcorn to a movie theater though! I don't go often at all, but when I do I'd rather not pay $10 for popcorn and a drink that literally costs less then a dollar.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »
Not very often anymore, unless I'm traveling for work (even then, I'll pack a cooler or grocery shop at my destination and minimize eating out if possible).  When DH and I have a dinner out a couple times per month, it's the inexpensive, local Mexican chain, or pizza slices most of the time.  It seems like we only go to a proper restaurant maybe once every few months or so these days.  I might get lunch at Chipotle or Panda Express 1-2x per month during the work week.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »

Our eating out falls into 2 distinct categories: home and traveling. On average, we'll go out to eat maybe 4 times a year when we are home.  Those times are to meet up with family or friends.  I don't recall eating out with just ourselves in the last year at all.
DH does have business lunches with clients about once a month - 12?  Plus we've had last minute change of plans at work where I ended up buying a taco or such between meetings - another 4 times per year.
That's our eating out routine for day to day life.

When traveling, we end up eating out a lot more, but even then we're likely to pack food or hit up a grocery store.  We travel about four times per year so guessing 8 times there.

If we're counting ALL categories about 30-35 times per year.
Excluding travel and business eating leaves us with 4 per year.
Hmm...maybe I should take DH out on a date soon?  Nah - think I'll put some effort this weekend into a posh meal surprise with a Netflix movie :)

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
If it's just me, I go out to a happy hour with coworkers 2-3 times a month, and a glass or two of half price wine will set me back $5-$10 with tax and tip on those occasions.

I would be content to go out with my husband about twice a month for things we're not skilled at or don't feel comfortable making (sushi, for example), but he is a much bigger proponent of eating out, so we find ourselves at restaurants probably twice a week (mostly on weekends, usually once just us, once with friends).

The biggest way to save is to start hanging out with your friends in your homes.  Invite a friend over for a drink instead of going out- it's really the social aspect and company you're probably after anyways.  For nights I don't feel like cooking I keep a few "emergency" meals on hand- Digiorno and Stouffers aren't the cheapest or healthiest things we eat, but it's better than take-out on both counts.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
With co-workers, about once a month for lunch to some cheap Chinese place (always less than $10).

For myself, unfortunately still around 2-3x a week (always cheap fast food). I'm trying to work on cooking more to reduce this to zero, but I need to take things one step at a time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
Three or four times a year.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
The last 12 months show 28 restaurant transactions between the two of us, for a total of $197. The breakdown:

Individual donuts at the artisan donut shop: 10 transactions
Fries, takeout or at a bar with friends - 9 transactions
Takeout sushi - 3 transactions

The other six transactions were bakery/snacky type stuff for my birthday and our anniversary, bubble tea with a few of his cousins who were in town, cold drinks (non-alcoholic) after a day of mountain biking, one stop at a fancy gourmet sandwich food truck, and a noodle bowl for him to calm him down when we were on top of a mountain about to parachute off.

It appears we haven't had any actual meals in restaurants in that time.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
I went out to eat yesterday, but only because a friend insisted on it and agreed to pay for my meal.  Ever since taking up Mustachianism, I don't eat out very much anymore.  It just feels like such a waste of money to pay someone to cook the meal for me and put it in front of me.  I will eat out when we are on vacation but then I use cash I saved from credit card cashback or I will use credit card points for free restaurant gift cards.  I don't go out to bars at all, because I just can't justify spending $5 on a beer when I can get an entire six pack for that much at the liquor store.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm anti-social, though.  Instead of going out to eat, we invite friends over and have a potluck or have friends over to have some beers from the fridge while we watch the game on the flatscreen TV someone gave me as a gift (using either WatchESPN which I get for free with my internet service or one of the online sports streaming subscriptions I subscribe to.)  You don't really need to change your lifestyle that much to be Mustachian.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »
In the early days we rarely went out. Maybe 2 times a quarter.  There was a sandwich shop that had $1.99-$2.49 subs and a free one every 12 so I ate lunches there most days.

Fast foward 5 years and we experienced some hedonic adaptation, probably had dinner 3-4 times a month and both the wife and I were spending $7-$8 each on lunch most weekdays. 

Started reading MMM and decided to really buckle down for 24 months or so and knock this FIRE thing out.  We are down to dinner 1-2 times a month, I bring lunch everyday and my wife does 3-4 days a week.

Dining out was probably our largest single line item change when we went after FIRE hardcore.

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:37 PM »

That's my monthly spending on Fast Food (including work cafeteria, snacks, etc) PLUS Restaurants PLUS alcohol. At least $100 a month is alcohol.

I make 90k, no debt, maxing tax advantaged retirement accounts.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
We don’t eat out (or get take-out or go out for coffee/drinks) at all except for rare special occasions.

For example, in June we took my parents out to lunch for Father’s Day and this month, we’ll probably get take-out for my husband's  birthday.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 02:48:08 PM »
Once a week.  We trade off picking the restaurant.  Usually a late lunch (2:00 or so) mostly to avoid any crowds, but with the added advantage of a cheaper lunch menu and it's easier to pass on alcohol in the afternoon.  If I'm not getting alcohol then often tap water rather than iced tea.  We sometimes get Groupons for restaurants we already frequent or are in our neighborhood.  Also check neighborhood newspaper for any specials or coupons.

I ate out a lot more when I worked.  Mostly lunches with co-workers.  DH doesn't drink so bars are low on this list of places to go.

HappyIntrovert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
Once or twice a week for the three of us (one child still at home).  Always lunches and usually cheapish places, but never fast food chains.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Never and... never?
It seems kind of silly to travel to a restaurant and wait a half hour for them to bring me food that's not as good as what I can make myself at home, costs a crapload more, and will probably cause me to die earlier than I'd like.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
Never.

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
Unfortunately WAYYY too much but i have found a few ways to save. I am definitely frugal in a ton of different areas but food is not one of them. I eat out for lunch at work pretty much every single day $8-$12 every day, and go out to bars at least once a week and dinner with the gf. I just can't get myself into the habit of bringing lunch to work. Also, it's mostly fast food since i HATE waiting, washing dishes and cooking. I personally think it's an "ok" tradeoff for the time i save, half the time it's drive thrus and i'm eating in my car on my way to somewhere. (health-wise is a whole different story though)

But since watching my "food/alcohol" budget more closely I've found a few ways to save. I started buying restaurant gift cards at cardpool dot com, they sell them at pretty decent discounts from 8-20% sometimes (bought with a rewards cc), this helps me "limit" my spending in way. Also, while i like to frequent bars I usually only go to places where i can get really good deals like happy hr, if I'm going somewhere that drinks are pricey (like a club) I'll make sure I pre-game quite a bit. And last but not least DON'T buy drinks (alcoholic) at a restaurant if you go eat, it can get expensive real quick. It also helps that I have a pretty frugal GF that LOVES to get good deals so she is always finding coupons discounts for almost anywhere we go out to eat.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »
Really depends on how crazy life is at the time.

I'd say:  For me, I eat lunch out on weekdays...once every month or two. I'm frugal and weight conscious.  I did eat out 2x this week - once because I just didn't feel like eating the lunch I brought (it is incredibly rare for me to blow off my packed lunch, but husband was out of town this week and I had several days of little sleep with a toddler waking up middle of the night, so I was weak).  I also had lunch out today, but my boss paid.

My husband usually eats lunch out every other Friday.

For dinner or lunch out as a family, I'd say once or twice a month. We have a standing date at a casual spot with a sand pit for the kids to play in that is monthly.  We generally only go once every other month.  But on alternate months, we may eat out on the weekend if we are out and don't have food with us.

Drinks: not very often at all, I'm 44 with two small children. I am going out on Monday. I'd say I make it out with the moms 3x a year, and probably get 2-4 dates with my husband a year.

$150/month is an average I think, total

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
Hi everybody, I just discovered this blog and it is very interesting. I have always been a frugal spender, except when it comes to having fun with my friends. I like going out and partying and going to bars, that is just where I prefer to spend my extra money. But now I am finally out of college and moving into a place of my own I will need to cut my "night life" spending.

Just out of curiosity though, how often do you go out to eat or for drinks? Do you have any money saving tips? Usually I take advantage of Happy Hours or the weekly specials they have. Half off wine Wednesday saves me a ton when I go out, and I only eat sushi on the weekends at a place that has a 50% discount on all sushi on Saturdays and Sundays.

If I'm not having dinner with friends I am always coming up with super frugal but delicious recipes to make at home when eating on my own. I have a fish taco recipe that can keep me fed for 3 days (lunch and dinners) for only $15.

On average I go out about once a month by myself with my friends (usually just lunch or appetizers, so about $12), and then the 4 of us  go out or get takeout/pizza about once a month as a family ($30 on average).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »

Breakfast or coffee: never

Work lunch: never

Happy hour or alcohol out: never (a dry county makes it very easy)

Dinner out? I plead the fifth.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 08:50:03 PM »
Dinner = 1 time per week ($8 steak)(Sometimes a softdrink = $4). I get take-away pizza or sushi maybe once every 2 months.

Coffee, or lunch, or breakfast = never.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »
I'll go out to eat dinner or grab drinks after work usually 3-6 times a month. My rule is that I can't go to grab food out of laziness by myself, it has to be going with friends because the experience of spending time with them makes it worth it. I'm also not a big drinker so I usually only get one drink on any given night which helps save money.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 12:29:59 AM »
Too much! Until recently I had been buying lunch at the cafe at work nearly every day and we would go out as a family for Brunch at least once a weekend. I'd say we were easily spending $100 per week.

Anyway, the budget is now in place and we will be minimising how much we spend on eating out. Hopefully in a few months I'll have better news.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »
about 100$ a month worth.
family of four, with two kids.
almost never buy alcohol.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »
Two or three times a week.   If it were left to me, it would be a couple of times a month or less.  But I help out two elderly relatives (in their nineties, one in a wheelchair, one with limited walking, both rather deaf) and eating out is something they like and I can provide single-handed: with their mixture of disabilities and in a fairly rural area other options for entertainment outside the home are pretty limited.  I'm lucky that we are in a tourist area and there is a decent selection of wheelchair-accessible eateries within about 10 miles.  The relatives mostly pay, and contribute to petrol (life-long frugality means that in old age they have a comfortable house and money for a cleaner, a gardener, good food and trips out).

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
Two or three times a week.   If it were left to me, it would be a couple of times a month or less.  But I help out two elderly relatives (in their nineties, one in a wheelchair, one with limited walking, both rather deaf) and eating out is something they like and I can provide single-handed: with their mixture of disabilities and in a fairly rural area other options for entertainment outside the home are pretty limited.  I'm lucky that we are in a tourist area and there is a decent selection of wheelchair-accessible eateries within about 10 miles.  The relatives mostly pay, and contribute to petrol (life-long frugality means that in old age they have a comfortable house and money for a cleaner, a gardener, good food and trips out).

That's awesome that you do that. We took care of my grandma, and it was the same thing with her. She kept getting worse and worse, couldn't travel much and didn't want to, but she sure loved her some shrimp. So once or twice a week we would take her out. Sometimes we paid, sometimes she did. It didn't matter, because it was about a lot more than money. Keep doing what you're doing. It means a lot to them and probably a lot to you, too, even if you don't feel like it now.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 07:58:50 AM »
Rarely. Maybe once every other month or so. But I don't have a lot of friends, so eating out would not be a social thing for me anyways, but more for convenience. Seems like it's one of those areas where being an introvert makes things a bit easier.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

That's awesome that you do that. We took care of my grandma, and it was the same thing with her. She kept getting worse and worse, couldn't travel much and didn't want to, but she sure loved her some shrimp. So once or twice a week we would take her out. Sometimes we paid, sometimes she did. It didn't matter, because it was about a lot more than money. Keep doing what you're doing. It means a lot to them and probably a lot to you, too, even if you don't feel like it now.

Thanks.  It's not quite what I had in mind when I FI/REd but, as has been pointed out to me, my timing on that from others' point of view was pretty excellent.

I like the story about your grandma - one of my "elderlies" is a fan of shrimp, too.

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »
No problem, brother :D Sometimes things don't go as planned, and sometimes that ends up being better in the long run

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 06:47:03 PM »
At least 4-5 times a week.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »
Fast food-maybe once a month for a total of $15.
Alcohol- we are a strictly bota box family (when not pregnant, ha!)
Restaurants- once a month, usually taking a family member out or for a date. $60-75 is a common total.

So, that's around $100/mo, which is half of our 'entertainment' budget. DH gets $40 pocket money for coffee and M&Ms, and the other $60 is for movie rentals, or going to the pool, etc.

Paulie

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 08:58:40 AM »
Fast-food: I think about 8 times per year. When we really don't feel like cooking.
Eating out: about 4 times per year together, but then it's not cheap (about $100-150 for the two of us). I go with friends a few times per year, but most of the times it's a lot cheaper ($30-40 for me).
Drinking: I guess about once per month. Usually we just go to someones place, but sometimes going out is more fun ;).

In total I spend (just my part) about $500 per year on eating out/take away and drinking together. This excludes vacations.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 09:45:43 AM »
Once a week at work. We have a professionally catered breakfast and lunch here of very high quality (talking lamb shanks, halibut, prime rib, roasted asparagus, etc) for $2.50 for breakfast and $4.50 for lunch. We usually alternate weeks between breakfast and lunch.

Once every two weeks at Costco during the biweekly haul.

Once every two months at a sit-down restaurant, almost always under $50.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
We probably get a "fast-food" dinner once a week (95% of the time it is Chipotle, which is 1/8mi from our house. Dangerously delicious.) and we only go out somewhere nicer maybe once a month.

As for alcohol... I enjoy beer/cider/wine of many varieties.  Maybe I'm getting old (33) but bars annoy the shit out of me these days.  I was a huge partier in college, but a couple of years ago the following situation happened to me:

We invited probably 10 people to our house for a mini party. Beer, liquor, card games, talking, good times.  It gets to be about 11pm and someone says "Hey, lets walk down to the bar thats a mile away!".  Sure, why not.  We walk down there, and a band is playing (not a really good band), and we sit at a table.  We ended up sitting at a table, all trying desperately to talk over the loud band, all drinking the same drinks we were drinking at my house for 5x the cost.  I decided at that point that I didn't think bars were worth it to me anymore.  lol

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
Out for drinks, not at all.  Way too expensive.

We cut date night (at sit down places) back from once a week to once a month.

Probably hit the dollar menu at the fast food places once a week or so.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
Coffee, lunch, fast food = never
Breakfast = 2 x per year
Dinner = practically every weekend in the Summer (sit outside/date nights); rarely if ever in the Winter
 - Summer is when we consume about 90% of our alcohol intake; rarely in the Winter

The thing I try to avoid is what I call 'too lazy' dinners - meaning that we go out because I'm too lazy (or didn't plan) to cook and it's usually of lesser quality and just something to get the job done; not a nice relaxing dinner out.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 11:21:35 AM »
We will get a takeaway about once every 2 weeks. Restaurant meals are about once every 3 - 4 months.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
I average three dinners and four lunches a month for a total of about $70.   Meals are almost always planned in advance with either the wife or a friend and I get a lot out of them - it's a social thing.  Usually there's no drinking involved, which keeps costs down.    Very rarely do I eat out for convenience only. 

Back in the day when I started the FIRE journey I was easily blowing 1K/mo, though -- crazy. 

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »
I bought a large pizza this weekend for $8. Two (very filling) meals at almost the same cost to cook myself, but no additional work required. I've been doing this a number of weekends.

Once I start cooking regularly I'm gonna stop this...

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
I usually get lunch with a co-worker 1x a week and have lunch with my family out 1x on weekends.

I find it interesting that people don't seem to go out for drinks.  My husband and I, when we have a date night (~1x month), usually go out for a drink.  It's cheaper than going for a whole meal and you can milk a martini for a long time!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
Went out once this year to use a gift card I had been given. Other than that…Never.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »
Our general rule is that we NEVER eat non-home food for the sake of convenience, laziness, or poor planning. The only acceptable reasons to eat out are:

1. We want a specific food that we don't make at home
2. It's free (work events, etc)
3. Eating food from home is a logistical impossibility (extremely rare)
4. We're travelling and don't have a kitchen
5. Occasional social situations (we try to avoid this and do other things with friends instead)
6. It's our anniversary or my birthday (he would be horrified if I suggested eating restaurant food for his birthday, and would assume a breakup was imminent)

Even then, it's generally just fries or doughnuts if we do eat out.

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 05:32:22 PM »
...My rule is that I can't go to grab food out of laziness by myself, it has to be going with friends because the experience of spending time with them makes it worth it.

I love this rule! I definitely go out to grab food just because I'm being lazy. As of today I'm applying this rule! I think it's a great place to start for me, I'm spending $600+ a month on food/drinks just for me and my girlfriend. Every time I try to make a big change (i've tried bringing lunch to work, waking up early to make breakfast etc) I ended up regressing back to old habits by making lame excuses (like "I need more sleep" lol). But I think this rule is easy enough to follow and I won't have any acceptable excuses for being lazy.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
...My rule is that I can't go to grab food out of laziness by myself, it has to be going with friends because the experience of spending time with them makes it worth it.

I love this rule! I definitely go out to grab food just because I'm being lazy. As of today I'm applying this rule! I think it's a great place to start for me, I'm spending $600+ a month on food/drinks just for me and my girlfriend. Every time I try to make a big change (i've tried bringing lunch to work, waking up early to make breakfast etc) I ended up regressing back to old habits by making lame excuses (like "I need more sleep" lol). But I think this rule is easy enough to follow and I won't have any acceptable excuses for being lazy.

I've managed to cut back on eating out because I'm lazy.  We keep a few frozen pizzas around in case we're feeling lazy.  It's so much easier to toss one in the oven then to order one (and WAIT!).  In order to combat my morning laziness, I've started to cook in bulk on the weekends and freeze individual portions.  I usually try to throw one in the freezer at night, but it will defrost mostly by lunch even if I forget. 

My breakfast laziness is still an issue.  This morning I spent an extra 10 minutes walking the dog, so I didn't have time to eat at home.  I grabbed an apple and iced tea.  Not a filling breakfast.  If anyone has any breakfast tips or grab and go breakfast options, please post them!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:36 PM »

I've managed to cut back on eating out because I'm lazy.  We keep a few frozen pizzas around in case we're feeling lazy.  It's so much easier to toss one in the oven then to order one (and WAIT!).  In order to combat my morning laziness, I've started to cook in bulk on the weekends and freeze individual portions.  I usually try to throw one in the freezer at night, but it will defrost mostly by lunch even if I forget. 

My breakfast laziness is still an issue.  This morning I spent an extra 10 minutes walking the dog, so I didn't have time to eat at home.  I grabbed an apple and iced tea.  Not a filling breakfast.  If anyone has any breakfast tips or grab and go breakfast options, please post them!

Keep a box of crunchy granola bars and a jar of peanut butter at your desk, not a fabulous breakfast, but much cheaper and better for you than fast food. For super laziness, just scoop the PB out with the granola bar.

Or, if you have a way to heat water, just do what I do and keep oatmeal. It even cooks just fine in a coffee cup. Stir a spoonful of that PB into it for more staying power.

Or get some cheese sticks to go with that apple and grab both on your way out the door.

Or hard boil a dozen eggs over the weekend (this takes almost exactly ten minutes, of which you have to be involved for about ninety seconds). You can even carry one safely in a pocket in a pinch, though wrap it in a paper towel if you don't want bits of shell in your pocket. Odds are pretty good you won't have to shell it by the time you get there.

Or get ambitious and make a big batch of muffins on the weekend. Add PB, nuts, or TVP/ soy flour if you need protein. Freeze them and then grab one on the way out. Eat it in an hour or so, or just dunk it in hot coffee if you get impatient.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I just made a dozen hard boiled eggs.  I'm going to cut a few pieces of cheese off my 2 pound block.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  I just made a dozen hard boiled eggs.  I'm going to cut a few pieces of cheese off my 2 pound block.

Mmm hard boiled eggs... I think I know what's for dinner tonight.