Author Topic: How often do you buy take out food?  (Read 11501 times)

Dragonswan

• Bristles
Re: How often do you buy take out food?
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »
Maybe once or twice a year.  We're retired and if we eat at home, I've cooked it.  (We do eat out once a week.)  We might be a take out pizza with unexpected company or a large group.  I'm with the others who don't see the point in paying someone to cook for me if they aren't cleaning up and washing the dishes also.
True, true, but it's just me and I open the container and fork right out of it whilst lounging on my couch.  Cleanup is as taxing as unreclining and walking to the garbage.
Tough room - it's just one measly container and one plastic fork.  Sometimes I use an actual metal fork and toss it in the dishwasher with all the dishes I accumulated being a good steward of the Earth and cooking at home.

That's one of the reasons I dislike takeout.  The massive amount of trash generated for a simple meal (that needed no more than a plate and a fork) is astounding.

Yes, this is one of the reasons I avoid it.

IllusionNW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2018, 02:29:35 PM »
Probably once or twice a week.  But this is our biggest "problem" area.  DH and I both work crazy jobs.  I cook meals at home five days a week and have a pretty rigid meal plan that includes only meals that I can make within 30 minutes (because the toddler needs to eat by 6 pm or all hell breaks loose).  By Friday, I'm pretty fried, so we usually do take-out and try to get something that we wouldn't normally make at home (i.e., ethnic food).  And often on Saturdays we get the kiddos together with our friends and order in or go somewhere.  Definitely room for improvement for us on this front, but also not an area where I want to put in a lot of effort right now.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Maybe once or twice a year.  We're retired and if we eat at home, I've cooked it.  (We do eat out once a week.)  We might be a take out pizza with unexpected company or a large group.  I'm with the others who don't see the point in paying someone to cook for me if they aren't cleaning up and washing the dishes also.
True, true, but it's just me and I open the container and fork right out of it whilst lounging on my couch.  Cleanup is as taxing as unreclining and walking to the garbage.
Tough room - it's just one measly container and one plastic fork.  Sometimes I use an actual metal fork and toss it in the dishwasher with all the dishes I accumulated being a good steward of the Earth and cooking at home.

That's one of the reasons I dislike takeout.  The massive amount of trash generated for a simple meal (that needed no more than a plate and a fork) is astounding.

Yes, this is one of the reasons I avoid it.

Which is prob not a big deal if it's not a regular thing.  But one measly container (if not recyclable or compostable) x 3 days a week x millions of people = a really big fucking deal.

There's a difference between a styrofoam container, and a plastic container that can be recycled, or a cardboard container than can be composted.

... yes I wash plastic baggies
... yes I use a reusable water bottle
... yes I bring bags to the store, including reusable produce bags

I just do my best to limit waste, and still have a long way to go compared to Zero Waste Home.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
Like I said, tough room.  Although the energy consumed to make a meal at home can be bad too. You just don’t have the lovely heaps of garbage image to go with it. Is cooking at home better, yes. But let’s not pretend it’s not without its own cost to the environment.  Especially if it’s for one person. I think of take as as bulk cooking for one.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
We get take out pizza maybe once a month.  We eat out in a restaurant also once a month. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »
Never.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »
Lots of weekly pizza eaters here. Isn't frozen pizza cheaper? Not to mention allowing better portion control.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
Lots of weekly pizza eaters here. Isn't frozen pizza cheaper? Not to mention allowing better portion control.

Yes, but frozen pizza and take out pizza taste so different. I like both, but sometimes you just want the local fatty chain or whatever.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Our homemade grilled pizzas are better than any restaurant or take out I've ever had.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »
Our homemade grilled pizzas are better than any restaurant or take out I've ever had.

Yep, love my homemade pizza too. We eat pizza or calzone Friday and Saturday every week, always homemade.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »

As a weekly pizza eater, frozen pizza is kinda nasty.  That's why I learned to make it at home!

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
Just came after a lunch out with my wife in last 5 months.
Damn, we cook all days.

I like her cooking better than outside food and she love eating out. So mostly we end up take home one dish and cook some in home when we want to have outside food.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2018, 12:00:07 PM »
Never do take-out. I make sure I have simple, quick things to fix if I'm tired or in a hurry.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »
I buy lunch every 3 weeks or so, and it's always fabulous sushi from a wee place near my work. I definitely couldn't make this particular sushi at home, so I enjoy this treat.

I get takeaways once a month or so. It's a bit of ritual for those omg-over-it-and-it's-Fri-night times. Might be every 2 months.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2018, 04:19:33 AM »
Never?

Or maybe once every 2-3 months when I have to eat dinner in the train, airport or another odd place. I often don't see the point of takeout as I can just as easily prep something myself in the time I'd be waiting for the food.