Author Topic: How much would you spend on a wedding ring?  (Read 9241 times)

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
Re: How much would you spend on a wedding ring?
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2019, 11:36:04 AM »
My wedding ring cost $12.20 from Amazon, including $5 shipping, love the stainless steel if I had to have something...  Depends on your significant other.  I didn't want to spend anything on a ring for getting engaged, I really don't understand it, but my wife wanted something nice she could look down at and smile for the rest of her life.  It's all about compromise.  I ended up buying a GIA certified 1.13 carat platinum diamond ring on Craigslist for $6k, figured she was getting what she wanted, it was a pretty good bang for your buck I guess, and I didn't feel I was supporting the diamond industry, just recycling. #compromise.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
We bought a stone from https://www.moissaniteco.com/index.html

It was way cheaper. And they are basically flawless diamonds, so it looks beautiful.

Unless you get a giant stone no one will know the difference. And that's only a visible difference because moissanite is actually so much less flawed than most diamonds that size are (2 carat or more range).

+1 - we got my wedding ring from this company.  It's stunning and well made and cost less than $800.  I would never be comfortable wearing something as valuable as my ring would be if it were made with diamonds.  If something were to happen to this one, I'd be bummed, but financially it's not that big of a deal.

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
I think you should spend as at least as much on an engagement ring (which you'll wear for the rest of your life, look at every day, and hopefully pass onto your children) as you'd spend on a car. My male fiance didn't have an income or any savings when we got engaged (entrepreneur), so I purchased a beautiful 2 carat lab-grown diamond from Clean Origin and a platinum pave diamond setting from Blue Nile myself. Altogether, the ring cost about $8,500 and it's my most prized possession. I've been engaged for almost a year and looking at it throughout the day still makes me super happy - it's prettyyy! I've been lurking on this site for years and rarely splurge on anything (my net worth has increased by $200k over the past 3 years), but that ring was worth every penny.

ETA: I still think spending 3 months of your salary on a ring (or a car) is crazy. 1 month max!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 02:09:24 PM by br89 »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »
I think you should spend as at least as much on an engagement ring (which you'll wear for the rest of your life, look at every day, and hopefully pass onto your children) as you'd spend on a car. My male fiance didn't have an income or any savings when we got engaged (entrepreneur), so I purchased a beautiful 2 carat lab-grown diamond from Clean Origin and a platinum pave diamond setting from Blue Nile myself. Altogether, the ring cost about $8,500 and it's my most prized possession. I've been engaged for almost a year and looking at it throughout the day still makes me super happy - it's prettyyy! I've been lurking on this site for years and rarely splurge on anything (my net worth has increased by $200k over the past 3 years), but that ring was worth every penny.

ETA: I still think spending 3 months of your salary on a ring (or a car) is crazy. 1 month max!

What?!  Spend as much as you'd spend on a car?  $8,500 for a rock and some gold...  that's a big no, and hell no.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
Nine grand for a fake diamond?

lol

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »
Obviously it's up to each individual couple and blah blah blah, but I do think if you GF would be "offended" by a cheaper ring, that's a red flag.  I would think about that a bit more (maybe talk to her in more depth about what her expectations are?) and how your divergent attitudes might impact your future.

That said, my engagement ring was origami made by my husband, so quite inexpensive :)  For my actual wedding ring I had my grandmother's ring re-sized to fit me.  The re-sizing was around $60.  Her ring is much more "me" than some of the more modern diamond rings I have seen people sporting.  The stone is quite small but it has a pretty setting with some engraving.  My husband was willing to buy me a ring if I wanted and I did actually spend some time looking at things and honestly didn't see anything I liked as much as my grandmother's, so repurposing it was a no-brainer as well as being thrifty.

Several of my friends have gotten vintage rings for a few hundred dollars.  To me that seems an appropriate amount to spend on a piece of "forever" jewelry that you are going to wear every day, if you don't want just a plain band.  Once you start going up and over one thousand though, I don't really see the point.

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

What?!  Spend as much as you'd spend on a car?  $8,500 for a rock and some gold...  that's a big no, and hell no.

I wouldn't spend $8,500 on a depreciating asset that won't last 15 years (a car), but some people do and that brings them joy, I guess. I personally would much rather have my ring and ride a bike or take an Uber/train/whatevs.

These are obviously things a couple needs to talk about before buying an engagement ring.  Most of my friends' rings are in the $30,000+ range and one of them doesn't even like her ring because it's simply not her style. I don't think anyone should buy a ring without the intended wearer's input (financial, style, ethical concerns, etc.) - it should be a decision the couple makes together.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »

Your ring cost more than my entire wedding, including rings.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2019, 04:21:33 PM »
I wouldn't spend $8,500 on a depreciating asset that won't last 15 years (a car), but some people do and that brings them joy, I guess. I personally would much rather have my ring and ride a bike or take an Uber/train/whatevs.
You're in for a big shock if you think rings don't depreciate. Taking a quick peek at eBay it looks like you'd be lucky to get half your money back if you needed to sell. Since you're probably never going to sell it you're out the opportunity cost for life (about $0.5 million in today's dollars).

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2019, 08:04:51 AM »
You're in for a big shock if you think rings don't depreciate. Taking a quick peek at eBay it looks like you'd be lucky to get half your money back if you needed to sell. Since you're probably never going to sell it you're out the opportunity cost for life (about $0.5 million in today's dollars).

I didn't say rings don't depreciate. I was comparing rings to cars because they're both depreciating assets that people buy for non net-worth maximizing reasons. Except one you will most likely have forever and the other usually lasts 15 years max.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 08:07:17 AM by br89 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »

I didn't say rings don't depreciate. I was comparing rings to cars because they're both depreciating assets that people buy for non net-worth maximizing reasons. Except one you will most likely have forever and the other usually lasts 15 years max.

Most people don't own automobiles for decoration, they're built for utility.  What's the utility value of a ring?

br89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2019, 02:49:25 PM »

Most people don't own automobiles for decoration, they're built for utility.  What's the utility value of a ring?

If most Americans truly bought automobiles for utilitarian reasons, you'd see way more used inexpensive economy-size cars with high gas-mileage on the road (and people walking/biking/Ubering/taking public transportation), and yet I see huge, gas-guzzling luxury SUVs, outrageously expensive convertibles and sports cars, etc. everywhere. I've never owned a car and have never had a problem getting to wherever I need to go, so I just don't see the utility in owning your own personal car? Walking, biking, taking public transportation, and Ubering is cheaper, healthier, and better for the environment.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:51:06 PM by br89 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Agreed.  But some people being idiots about cars is not a good reason for being an idiot about jewellery.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »

If most Americans truly bought automobiles for utilitarian reasons, you'd see way more used inexpensive economy-size cars with high gas-mileage on the road (and people walking/biking/Ubering/taking public transportation), and yet I see huge, gas-guzzling luxury SUVs, outrageously expensive convertibles and sports cars, etc. everywhere. I've never owned a car and have never had a problem getting to wherever I need to go, so I just don't see the utility in owning your own personal car? Walking, biking, taking public transportation, and Ubering is cheaper, healthier, and better for the environment.

You obviously don't live in rural farm country.  There are no ubers, no taxis, no bike lanes.  Closest store might be miles away.  I'd say at least half the people I know buy automobiles for utilitarian reasons.  Most also hated the "cash for clunkers" program because it took a lot of usable vehicles, and usable parts, off the market in the long term.

I've been to Europe five times and never had to drive there.  I got everywhere I wanted with trains, buses, etc (well, except when we stayed with family and they drove us around).  I love having that kind of access to transportation, so it's great if you have it.  But, fact is, many don't.  The US is a huge place with a lot of open spaces, and there are actually people living in those open spaces, but no one is going to run public transportation for them.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
I have decided that I want one ring, as both engagement and wedding ring, made out of some kind of durable metal I'm not allergic to, with a fake diamond (moissanite /amora) or better yet clear pink sparkly stone. I want it to be a solitaire... And to look slightly oversized and Disney ridiculous on my hands. Like in a wedding magazine. I think that can be accomplished for around 300. I don't have pinterest, so if it sounds like someone is thinking about marrying me, direct them to this description please.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2019, 02:05:49 AM »

These are obviously things a couple needs to talk about before buying an engagement ring.  Most of my friends' rings are in the $30,000+ range and one of them doesn't even like her ring because it's simply not her style. I don't think anyone should buy a ring without the intended wearer's input (financial, style, ethical concerns, etc.) - it should be a decision the couple makes together.

I just really wonder on what occasion you would wear a ring like that. I'm saying that as someone who spent way too much time yesterday admiring a beautiful used €200 ring and decided not to buy it because I wouldn't know when to wear it.

This particular ring was modest enough to wear to the office, but a 30k would probably be so flashy it would be inappropriate to wear to work. If you have a more practical job instead of an office job wearing rings is probably banned. At home I find any jewelry a nuisance because I spend most of my time doing things like cleaning, cooking, baking and gardening. I could wear a big ring to a party or going out, but those occasions are so rare (maybe 2 times a month) it wouldn't warrant the purchase of a ring.

Most folks I know don't even make 30k a year, as far as I know no one has spent more than maybe 1k on a ring. I got engaged without a ring and our wedding bands will be modest, durable and affordable. Being sensible with money is something I appreciate in my partner and spending a fortune on a piece of jewelry that many people stop wearing anyway after the novelty wears off just doesn't seem logical. I understand wanting to get a nice ring if you can afford it, but nice good quality rings can be found for 3 and 4 figure sums.

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2019, 06:36:28 AM »
Just to update you all.... 

She said yes! 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »
Just to update you all.... 

She said yes!

Congrats! What ring did you end up going with? It sounds like you were leaning towards a lab made diamond in your previous posts?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
I think you should spend as at least as much on an engagement ring (which you'll wear for the rest of your life, look at every day, and hopefully pass onto your children) as you'd spend on a car.

Wha........t the fuck?

I've been given a number of diamond rings in my time, and I've never made that big a deal out of any of them.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
Yay @Manchester !!! Congrats!!!

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Thanks @Imma !

@RWD I went with a lab-made diamond.  Looks really good and my S/O was incredibly pleased with the ethical side of it.  Used Brilliant Earth for the ring, they've been great. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »
Thanks @Imma !

@RWD I went with a lab-made diamond.  Looks really good and my S/O was incredibly pleased with the ethical side of it.  Used Brilliant Earth for the ring, they've been great.

Congrats!

So happy for you and that you guys got a ring you can both be happy with!

Swish

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:06 AM »
It depends on your partner. See what they like. My DW when we were young it was very important to her to have a more expensive ring. As soon as you announce an engagement they will be showing it off to everyone. Complete vanity but I wanted her to not be embarrassed to show it off like a friend of ours had been. Over time it became less important because we both became less insecure and could care a less about social status. Now she wishes we used it towards our house dp if we had a do over. People grow over time. Our insecurity cost a lot of money but in the grand scheme of life it was a small amount that was important at that time. Still inefficient though.   

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2019, 06:48:28 PM »
Looking back, I would have loved if he spent 200 on a ring and the remaining 2800 on a investment certificate or investment in my name.   (That I could use to buy a ring of my choice or save towards something else in 5 years).

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
Congrats OP!

My wife spent like... $150? on a white gold band from Costco. Mine is wood and was $20 on Etsy.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2019, 07:28:24 PM »
We didn't do engagement rings, but we did get a matched, similar but different, set of tungsten carbide with gold inlay wedding rings. I think they cost just under a grand total, and the tungsten carbide is indestructible! (the gold inlay not so much -- gold is soft.)

The whole proposal and engagement ring seems very anachronistic to me. I mean, isn't this something you both discuss and reach a mutually acceptable solution regarding, not spring on your unsuspecting significant other and force them to either accept or reject?

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
Engagement ring was bought at Walmart, was quite inexpensive around $100. My husbands band was bought used and mine was bought new at a jewelry store in the mall. $200-300 each. Sounds like a lot now actually but we seen options that went sky high on pricing. Still love our rings 9 years later.